DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Drums

Drums All about Drums and Drum Kits

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 09-10-2016, 02:12 AM
Cheungman Cheungman is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 163
Default Thoughts on ply damage (snare from ebay)

I just received the snare I bought from ebay which was described as "like new" and as I was inspecting the snare I noticed the reinforcement plies were damaged and separated at that spot. Here are some pictures.

Picture Album

What do you guys think is the right action? I'm wondering if this damage will increase through out playing or age, if it will then I am simply going to return it as I did not agree to buy a ticking bomb. How much sound quality is lost from this? Repair options? In any event I'm a bit unsure of how to proceed yet.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-10-2016, 02:59 AM
Stroker's Avatar
Stroker Stroker is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Canada, We Stand on Guard for Thee
Posts: 1,719
Default Re: Thoughts on ply damage (snare from ebay)

That's never a good thing.

Is there any play in the ply's as it stands? Can you physically pinch the reinforcement hoop and close the gap?
__________________
Rash of letters after an Architects name? Alphabet Soup, don't drown in it...
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-10-2016, 03:11 AM
Cheungman Cheungman is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 163
Default Re: Thoughts on ply damage (snare from ebay)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroker View Post
That's never a good thing.

Is there any play in the ply's as it stands? Can you physically pinch the reinforcement hoop and close the gap?
Yes, when I run my finger around the inside I can feel the air gap. I'm starting to feel like I should just return it and save myself the trouble.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-10-2016, 03:26 AM
Stroker's Avatar
Stroker Stroker is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Canada, We Stand on Guard for Thee
Posts: 1,719
Default Re: Thoughts on ply damage (snare from ebay)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheungman View Post
Yes, when I run my finger around the inside I can feel the air gap. I'm starting to feel like I should just return it and save myself the trouble.
What a shame. I'm one of the worst guys to weigh-in on this sort of thing, because I'm as anal as heck. If it were me that snare would be returned el-pronto, but I did think of a way for you to salvage and repair the delamination that has occurred or was overlooked at the time of the manufacturing process.

You could run a length of regular masking tape over the troubled section, and once firmly applied, use a razor blade to cut through the section of masking tape where the delaminated area is.

Using a high-grade structural Epoxy, fill the gap and using a one-handed clamp, close the area in question. I'd pad each side of the clamp surfaces (well) with two or three thicknesses of solid rigid core insulation (1/2" or 1"), then let set.

When the repair has cured, whatever epoxy was hydraulically displaced during the clamping process will have settled (cleanly) on the surface of the masking tape, thus allowing you to surgically remove both epoxy residue and tape with a few swipes of a razor blade.

Finicky work, but it can be done.
__________________
Rash of letters after an Architects name? Alphabet Soup, don't drown in it...
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-10-2016, 03:32 AM
Cheungman Cheungman is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 163
Default Re: Thoughts on ply damage (snare from ebay)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroker View Post
What a shame. I'm one of the worst guys to weigh-in on this sort of thing, because I'm as anal as heck. If it were me that snare would be returned el-pronto, but I did think of a way for you to salvage and repair the delamination that has occurred or was overlooked at the time of the manufacturing process.

You could run a length of regular masking tape over the troubled section, and once firmly applied, use a razor blade to cut through the section of masking tape where the delaminated area is.

Using a high-grade structural Epoxy, fill the gap and using a one-handed clamp, close the area in question. I'd pad each side of the clamp surfaces (well) with two or three thicknesses of solid rigid core insulation (1/2" or 1"), then let set.

When the repair has cured, whatever epoxy was hydraulically displaced during the clamping process will have settled (cleanly) on the surface of the masking tape, thus allowing you to surgically remove both epoxy residue and tape with a few swipes of a razor blade.

Finicky work, but it can be done.
As a very busy guy, I simply would not have to energy or time to start a process like that; I don't even have access to my tools for weeks at a time. I am pretty particular about my equipment as well and I was very disappointed to see the separation.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-10-2016, 03:32 AM
Stroker's Avatar
Stroker Stroker is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Canada, We Stand on Guard for Thee
Posts: 1,719
Default Re: Thoughts on ply damage (snare from ebay)

Question is, CM, where do you reside as far as repairing or returning.
__________________
Rash of letters after an Architects name? Alphabet Soup, don't drown in it...
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-10-2016, 03:50 AM
Stroker's Avatar
Stroker Stroker is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Canada, We Stand on Guard for Thee
Posts: 1,719
Default Re: Thoughts on ply damage (snare from ebay)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheungman View Post
As a very busy guy, I simply would not have to energy or time to start a process like that; I don't even have access to my tools for weeks at a time. I am pretty particular about my equipment as well and I was very disappointed to see the separation.
I'm with you on that, very disappointing indeed. Had the structural integrity been such that no movement or play was evident, then I would say play it and enjoy it.

The main concern I have in relation to the area in question (now that I know there is movement), is what sort of possible other structural faults may be present. It's difficult to ascertain whether the problematic area is simply an oversight at the time of manufacturing, where that section alone didn't receive the required glues or adequate press-time to ensure the union of the ply's, or whether the entire ply-section is 100% compromised due to a complete failure in the way it was engineered right from the get-go (lack of applied glues, removed from press prematurely, etc).
__________________
Rash of letters after an Architects name? Alphabet Soup, don't drown in it...
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-10-2016, 03:52 AM
IDDrummer's Avatar
IDDrummer IDDrummer is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Mid-Atlantic
Posts: 5,199
Default Re: Thoughts on ply damage (snare from ebay)

I'd return that, plain and simple. Not a moment's thought.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-10-2016, 04:42 AM
Cheungman Cheungman is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 163
Default Re: Thoughts on ply damage (snare from ebay)

I'm in FL, most of the drum shops around have been out of business so repairs would definitely have to be shipped. I've started the refund request and hoping the seller understands and cooperates, considering he'll be finding out he has a broken drum now.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-10-2016, 04:54 AM
Stroker's Avatar
Stroker Stroker is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Canada, We Stand on Guard for Thee
Posts: 1,719
Default Re: Thoughts on ply damage (snare from ebay)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheungman View Post
I'm in FL, most of the drum shops around have been out of business so repairs would definitely have to be shipped. I've started the refund request and hoping the seller understands and cooperates, considering he'll be finding out he has a broken drum now.
Fingers crossed for you my friend in hopes all goes well and that you can scope-out another.
__________________
Rash of letters after an Architects name? Alphabet Soup, don't drown in it...
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 09-10-2016, 05:28 AM
uniongoon's Avatar
uniongoon uniongoon is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: caesarea over looking the lake southern ontario
Posts: 1,370
Default Re: Thoughts on ply damage (snare from ebay)

That is not separation, that is just typical factory assembling without closely inspecting the finished product.
__________________
See my Signia's
http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=73869
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-10-2016, 08:07 PM
The SunDog
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Thoughts on ply damage (snare from ebay)

Are the bearing edges clean? Then play and enjoy. If you just can't stop counting your eyelashes, then send it back. I'd dab a little Elmer's wood glue in there and clamp it for a day, but that's me. You be you. Don't over think it.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-10-2016, 08:17 PM
Midnite Zephyr's Avatar
Midnite Zephyr Midnite Zephyr is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Surf City, USA
Posts: 6,155
Default Re: Thoughts on ply damage (snare from ebay)

I'd put some wood putty in there and just play the darn thing.
__________________
Drumming for fun.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-10-2016, 08:18 PM
larryace's Avatar
larryace larryace is offline
"Uncle Larry"
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: In beautiful Bucks County, PA
Posts: 21,243
Default Re: Thoughts on ply damage (snare from ebay)

I'd glue it and clamp it too. One of those squeeze clamps would work I betcha.
__________________
Levis/Hanes/Timberlands/Custom made socks
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09-10-2016, 08:22 PM
KamaK KamaK is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: East Coast
Posts: 5,821
Default Re: Thoughts on ply damage (snare from ebay)

That is not a "like new" snare. That is either a "like abused" snare or "like defective" snare.

My advise, return to seller. Purchase something that doesn't bring its baggage along.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 09-10-2016, 09:23 PM
Rattlin' Bones's Avatar
Rattlin' Bones Rattlin' Bones is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 1,156
Default Re: Thoughts on ply damage (snare from ebay)

Not worth hassle. A zillion other snares to buy. Just return it.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 09-10-2016, 09:46 PM
WallyY WallyY is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Boston, US
Posts: 1,973
Default Re: Thoughts on ply damage (snare from ebay)

It doesn't look bad at all. From the picture, I would use a little yellow carpenter's glue and a clamp and then forget about it.

Unless it's much worse than what the picture seems to describe, I don't surmise it would have any effect on the sound at all.

It is however, something that should have been in the photos from the Ebay seller, and that alone might be a good reason to send it back, but it looks like a simple glue gap, or fibers that fell off of the vertical ply.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 09-10-2016, 11:13 PM
keep it simple's Avatar
keep it simple keep it simple is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 20,836
Default Re: Thoughts on ply damage (snare from ebay)

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniongoon View Post
That is not separation, that is just typical factory assembling without closely inspecting the finished product.
The most likely scenario for sure - just poor quality control. If there's no affect near the head contact area of the bearing edge, simply throw a bit of wood glue in there & clamp it overnight. If you can't / won't do that, return it.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 09-10-2016, 11:20 PM
mmulcahy1's Avatar
mmulcahy1 mmulcahy1 is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA
Posts: 2,043
Default Re: Thoughts on ply damage (snare from ebay)

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
If there's no affect near the head contact area of the bearing edge, simply throw a bit of wood glue in there & clamp it overnight.
For the Guru has spoken.

You now have your answer.
__________________
Gretsch Catalina Maple Drums / Ludwig Supraphonic Snare Drum / Paiste Giant Beat & 2oo2 Cymbals
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 09-11-2016, 02:31 AM
Cheungman Cheungman is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 163
Default Re: Thoughts on ply damage (snare from ebay)

Thanks everyone, well I ended up returned it, the seller was very understanding and worked to get it right. I spent a fair amount of money on it, and for that I expect the product I paid for to be in good condition. Perhaps it could have been salvaged by some wood glue and some time, but it's not something I expected and I would have expected a decent discount for it. And there is the fact that I like my equipment to be without defects. There will be other snares for me to try my luck with in the future.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 05:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com