DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 06-13-2016, 09:11 PM
WalterKohn's Avatar
WalterKohn WalterKohn is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Deptford, NJ
Posts: 295
Default How to make a "Natural Matte Finish" shiny??

I have a 6.5x14" PDP Maple Bubinga snare that I got off of a trade for some gear. I like the snare but the finish on it is almost like a hazy white...

Any idea on how to make this Natural Matte Finish shiny?

I tried some car wax and it did nothing at all. I have seen pictures of the same snare on this forum and it was shiny like almost glossy..

I know tung oil would work but would I have to strip the matte finish off?? I really don't want to sand anything I just want the damn thing shiny.

I have read guitar forums that say never use a polish on a matte finish and I am not sure if this applies to drums as well.

Any help on getting this thing shiny/glossy would be awesome!
__________________
"Stay in the Pocket"
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-13-2016, 09:43 PM
pgm554's Avatar
pgm554 pgm554 is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Posts: 1,500
Default Re: How to make a "Natural Matte Finish" shiny??

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterKohn View Post
I have a 6.5x14" PDP Maple Bubinga snare that I got off of a trade for some gear. I like the snare but the finish on it is almost like a hazy white...

Any idea on how to make this Natural Matte Finish shiny?

I tried some car wax and it did nothing at all. I have seen pictures of the same snare on this forum and it was shiny like almost glossy..

I know tung oil would work but would I have to strip the matte finish off?? I really don't want to sand anything I just want the damn thing shiny.

I have read guitar forums that say never use a polish on a matte finish and I am not sure if this applies to drums as well.

Any help on getting this thing shiny/glossy would be awesome!
The matte finish is part of the paint/clearcoat.
If you want a high gloss finish,you would need to apply a coat of high gloss varathane.

https://www.rustoleum.com/product-ca...r-polyurethane
__________________
Pearl MCX Gretsch Renown and many many Fibes snares.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-14-2016, 01:50 AM
WalterKohn's Avatar
WalterKohn WalterKohn is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Deptford, NJ
Posts: 295
Default Re: How to make a "Natural Matte Finish" shiny??

On top of the matte finish? Or take the matte finish off?
__________________
"Stay in the Pocket"
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-14-2016, 02:13 AM
GruntersDad's Avatar
GruntersDad GruntersDad is offline
Administrator - Mayor
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Gulf Coast Seminole, Florida
Posts: 22,368
Default Re: How to make a "Natural Matte Finish" shiny??

Clean the matte, don't remove it. Then clear it.
__________________
Johnny. Pictured left to right, Bermuda, Weird Al, Grunt.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-14-2016, 03:07 AM
pgm554's Avatar
pgm554 pgm554 is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Posts: 1,500
Default Re: How to make a "Natural Matte Finish" shiny??

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterKohn View Post
On top of the matte finish? Or take the matte finish off?
Probably over the old .
The finish they applied was probably a matte varathane.
You can buy several types of verathane from matte (no shine)to semi gloss to hi gloss.
Go to a paint or woodworking store and ask them what is best.

Use a spray if you don't want to sand as brushing tends to leave streaks in the finish.
__________________
Pearl MCX Gretsch Renown and many many Fibes snares.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-14-2016, 03:11 AM
WallyY WallyY is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Boston, US
Posts: 1,973
Default Re: How to make a "Natural Matte Finish" shiny??

Car polish, not car wax will turn it into a gloss.
Two steps, buffing (cutting) compound and then polishing compound.

But you must use a polishing machine or you will take forever to get that gloss.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-14-2016, 05:00 AM
pgm554's Avatar
pgm554 pgm554 is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Posts: 1,500
Default Re: How to make a "Natural Matte Finish" shiny??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally Young View Post
Car polish, not car wax will turn it into a gloss.
Two steps, buffing (cutting) compound and then polishing compound.

But you must use a polishing machine or you will take forever to get that gloss.
Maybe there is more than one way to skin a cat,but polishing compound is abrasive and would remove the clear coat finish of the drum.

It is the clear coat polyurethane that gives that high gloss finish and not the polish.

I had a Pearl bass drum refinished and actually took it to an auto paint shop after it was stripped and re stained to get that high gloss finish because it takes a special license to use the required chemicals here in CA.
__________________
Pearl MCX Gretsch Renown and many many Fibes snares.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-14-2016, 05:26 AM
KamaK KamaK is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: East Coast
Posts: 5,824
Default Re: How to make a "Natural Matte Finish" shiny??

Applying gloss over matte, even if done properly, will give a different result than just using gloss. So if you're hoping to match a matte shell with a gloss kit, you'll need to go back to the drawing board.

If you go for it, the matte needs to be super clean and super dry. You need to match the overcoat with the matte, for example, no poly over nitro, no nitro over CA, etc. This means you need to figure out what your matte is.

Personally, I would recommend against it. Sell the shells, and buy the drums you want in the size/color/finish you want.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-14-2016, 05:43 AM
The SunDog
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: How to make a "Natural Matte Finish" shiny??

You can apply Tung oil directly on top of matte satin.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-14-2016, 01:02 PM
WalterKohn's Avatar
WalterKohn WalterKohn is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Deptford, NJ
Posts: 295
Default Re: How to make a "Natural Matte Finish" shiny??

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamaK View Post
Applying gloss over matte, even if done properly, will give a different result than just using gloss. So if you're hoping to match a matte shell with a gloss kit, you'll need to go back to the drawing board.

If you go for it, the matte needs to be super clean and super dry. You need to match the overcoat with the matte, for example, no poly over nitro, no nitro over CA, etc. This means you need to figure out what your matte is.

Personally, I would recommend against it. Sell the shells, and buy the drums you want in the size/color/finish you want.
Its a PDP Maple Bubinga snare drum that I received as part of a trade for some gear. All I could find out about the finish is from the website which states it is a Natural Satin Matte Lacquer finish.
__________________
"Stay in the Pocket"
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 06-14-2016, 01:04 PM
WalterKohn's Avatar
WalterKohn WalterKohn is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Deptford, NJ
Posts: 295
Default Re: How to make a "Natural Matte Finish" shiny??

Quote:
Originally Posted by The SunDog View Post
You can apply Tung oil directly on top of matte satin.
This is what I was reading that DW says to do for its Satin/Matte finishes but I wasn't sure if the PDP had the same finish. DW recommends Minwax Tung Oil but I wasn't sure if this would apply to the PDP Maple Bubinga.
__________________
"Stay in the Pocket"
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-14-2016, 01:05 PM
WalterKohn's Avatar
WalterKohn WalterKohn is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Deptford, NJ
Posts: 295
Default Re: How to make a "Natural Matte Finish" shiny??

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamaK View Post
Applying gloss over matte, even if done properly, will give a different result than just using gloss. So if you're hoping to match a matte shell with a gloss kit, you'll need to go back to the drawing board.

If you go for it, the matte needs to be super clean and super dry. You need to match the overcoat with the matte, for example, no poly over nitro, no nitro over CA, etc. This means you need to figure out what your matte is.

Personally, I would recommend against it. Sell the shells, and buy the drums you want in the size/color/finish you want.
Its a snare drum that I got in a trade for some gear. I have the shells I want this is just a backup snare. I just want it shiny...
__________________
"Stay in the Pocket"
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-14-2016, 01:41 PM
GruntersDad's Avatar
GruntersDad GruntersDad is offline
Administrator - Mayor
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Gulf Coast Seminole, Florida
Posts: 22,368
Default Re: How to make a "Natural Matte Finish" shiny??

You can buy water based clear that can be applied with a foam brush. Check your local hardware store.
__________________
Johnny. Pictured left to right, Bermuda, Weird Al, Grunt.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 06-14-2016, 03:48 PM
Smoke Smoke is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Lansing, MI, USA
Posts: 635
Default Re: How to make a "Natural Matte Finish" shiny??

You might have shot yourself in the foot with the wax job. Trisodium Phosphate (TSP) will probably get the wax off, but it's nasty stuff and I'm not so sure I'd want to use it liberally on a drum surface, as it might loosen the outer veneer. Read up on it before going that route. Mineral spirits might do the trick too. It's going to be a case of lots of elbow grease and not too much cleaner solution.

I think shellac will stick to almost anything. If you get most of the wax off, you should be good-to-go. You can get shellac in a spray can or use brushes.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 06-14-2016, 04:21 PM
WalterKohn's Avatar
WalterKohn WalterKohn is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Deptford, NJ
Posts: 295
Default Re: How to make a "Natural Matte Finish" shiny??

What about using a polish to get the wax off? Will that take off the clear coat matte as well? Elbow grease is not a problem.
__________________
"Stay in the Pocket"
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 06-14-2016, 05:06 PM
jbonzo1's Avatar
jbonzo1 jbonzo1 is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: The Keystone State
Posts: 885
Default Re: How to make a "Natural Matte Finish" shiny??

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterKohn View Post
This is what I was reading that DW says to do for its Satin/Matte finishes but I wasn't sure if the PDP had the same finish. DW recommends Minwax Tung Oil but I wasn't sure if this would apply to the PDP Maple Bubinga.
This is my DW/Craviotto 5.5x13 satin oil finish after I applied three coats of Formby's High Gloss Tung Oil.
Originally, DW's satin oil was hand-rubbed. I believe they spray it now. I would bet the PDP is a sprayed poly.
Email DW and ask them. They are very helpful with this stuff.
Attached Images
 
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 06-14-2016, 05:23 PM
WalterKohn's Avatar
WalterKohn WalterKohn is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Deptford, NJ
Posts: 295
Default Re: How to make a "Natural Matte Finish" shiny??

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbonzo1 View Post
This is my DW/Craviotto 5.5x13 satin oil finish after I applied three coats of Formby's High Gloss Tung Oil.
Originally, DW's satin oil was hand-rubbed. I believe they spray it now. I would bet the PDP is a sprayed poly.
Email DW and ask them. They are very helpful with this stuff.
Did you apply that on top of the DW finish or did you strip the finish first?
__________________
"Stay in the Pocket"
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 06-14-2016, 05:40 PM
greenstar323 greenstar323 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 157
Default Re: How to make a "Natural Matte Finish" shiny??

I'd also like to suggest going to your good ol' home store for some Minwax Wipe on Poly - you can apply it with one of those spongy brushes. It's so easy to apply. Just wetsand a little bit between coats. They make it in a satin or gloss finish. I've used the satin before, but the gloss will give you a glossier finish. You can then make it look like glass if you use a car polishing kit as mentioned above after applying the gloss.

The kit I used the Minwax on used to have wrap so it was basically a bare shell when I applied it. You probably want to remove a little bit of the clear coat before applying something new.

Here is a pic of my floor tom with the satin finish.
Attached Images
 
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 06-15-2016, 01:14 AM
WallyY WallyY is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Boston, US
Posts: 1,973
Default Re: How to make a "Natural Matte Finish" shiny??

Iso alcohol and water 50/50 mix will remove old wax.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 06-15-2016, 04:41 AM
jbonzo1's Avatar
jbonzo1 jbonzo1 is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: The Keystone State
Posts: 885
Default Re: How to make a "Natural Matte Finish" shiny??

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterKohn View Post
Did you apply that on top of the DW finish or did you strip the finish first?
Right over the top.
The first coat sunk right in, light sanding with very fine steel wool between the second and third coats.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 06-15-2016, 01:10 PM
WalterKohn's Avatar
WalterKohn WalterKohn is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Deptford, NJ
Posts: 295
Default Re: How to make a "Natural Matte Finish" shiny??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally Young View Post
Iso alcohol and water 50/50 mix will remove old wax.
Did that last night! Thank You!
__________________
"Stay in the Pocket"
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 06-15-2016, 01:11 PM
WalterKohn's Avatar
WalterKohn WalterKohn is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Deptford, NJ
Posts: 295
Default Re: How to make a "Natural Matte Finish" shiny??

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbonzo1 View Post
Right over the top.
The first coat sunk right in, light sanding with very fine steel wool between the second and third coats.
I will purchase the Tung Oil today last night I took the wax off then used Meguiars Scratch X 2.0 & Polish.

Thanks for the help!
__________________
"Stay in the Pocket"
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 06-17-2016, 08:25 PM
gdmoore28's Avatar
gdmoore28 gdmoore28 is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 1,463
Default Re: How to make a "Natural Matte Finish" shiny??

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterKohn View Post
I will purchase the Tung Oil today last night I took the wax off then used Meguiars Scratch X 2.0 & Polish.

Thanks for the help!
Walter,
You removed the old wax, then you replaced it with the Meguiars. The point that everybody is trying to make is that your tung oil or whatever else you use to apply a gloss finish, MUST go on the original, factory finish. Anything else you add will stop the new finish from adhering to the old, not to mention the possibility of fisheye and orange peel caused by chemical interactions.

Remove the wax again. And again. Then scuff the original finish with some 320 grit automotive sandpaper. Clean off the dust, then apply the new finish. Follow the manufacturer's recommendations on second and more coats.

Honestly, the problems you might encounter are many, but I think the above steps will make your refinish job a likely success. It's not brain surgery, and any mistakes can be corrected. But you must keep those waxes and waxy cleaners away from the drum.

GeeDeeEmm
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 06-18-2016, 12:30 AM
WallyY WallyY is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Boston, US
Posts: 1,973
Default Re: How to make a "Natural Matte Finish" shiny??

The Meguiar's Scratch-x is a cutting polish with no wax included in the formula.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 06-29-2016, 05:38 PM
WalterKohn's Avatar
WalterKohn WalterKohn is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Deptford, NJ
Posts: 295
Default Re: How to make a "Natural Matte Finish" shiny??

Incase anyone wants to see the finished product!

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...d.php?t=132424
__________________
"Stay in the Pocket"
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 04:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com