DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 02-20-2016, 06:45 PM
Silver Member

Default Beth Hart & Joe Bonamassa - I'd Rather Go Blind

https://youtu.be/6vCOIRmDi4w

Thought I have to share.
Old 02-20-2016, 06:59 PM
Administrator - Mayor

Default Re: Beth Hart & Joe Bonamassa - I'd Rather Go Blind

Good stuff. Hammond organ and a brass section. A real band.
Old 02-21-2016, 06:02 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Anton Fig drums for Joe. He has a superior blues shuffle. One of my favorite current drummers who can really play the blues. TBH, I never knew it was Anton till just now when I looked it up. I just remember being impressed by Joe's drummer. Very surprised to learn it was Anton.

Thanks for the share man. In my mind, Joe is one of the main torch bearers for the blues these days. Meaning he could be one of the most popular artists plying that particular trade, he's keeping blues alive in the public eye. Kind of like a SRV.
Old 02-21-2016, 07:20 PM
The SunDog

I met Joe at his home in upstate NY when he was the ripe old age of 17 (this was '92-'93). He was already quite famous in the blues world and a huge local celebrity since the age of 12 when he appeared onstage with B.B. King at a concert in Syracuse. His father had contacted my brother expressing an interest to purchase my brothers '65 Fender Vibrolux. A possible trade was mentioned and off we went. They eventually did trade amps. A Dual Showman half-stack for a Vibrolux 2-10" combo. History has shown that Joe got the better end of that deal. Everytime I watch his concerts now I still see that awkward kid (but man could he play). Good to see Anton working.
Old 02-21-2016, 08:03 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The SunDog View Post
Everytime I watch his concerts now I still see that awkward kid (but man could he play). Good to see Anton working.
Cool story. I really enjoy his playing and Beth Hart's voice is amazing. Here's Joe on acoustic,, what a show that must have been https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vq1rBuCi5nA
Old 02-21-2016, 09:30 PM

I saw him on a PBS special a few years back. He had Anton there and Reese Wynans on keys (he played with SRV quite a bit in Stevie's later years) ... along with a brass section. As Gruntersdad said, "A real band".

I was skeptical that this unknown (to me) fellow that looked like an accountant would hold up his end of the bargain. Of course the joke was on me ...

There was another show I caught a glimpse of (with Anton again) where some guitarist named Eric Clapton joined him. Mr. Bonamassa keeps good company for sure.

(and +1 for Larry's comment re: Anton's shuffles ... good stuff)

Happy Sunday,
radman

Last edited by radman; 02-21-2016 at 09:31 PM. Reason: grammar fixin' ...
Old 02-21-2016, 11:54 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Quote:
Originally Posted by The SunDog View Post
I met Joe at his home in upstate NY when he was the ripe old age of 17 (this was '92-'93). He was already quite famous in the blues world and a huge local celebrity since the age of 12 when he appeared onstage with B.B. King at a concert in Syracuse. His father had contacted my brother expressing an interest to purchase my brothers '65 Fender Vibrolux. A possible trade was mentioned and off we went. They eventually did trade amps. A Dual Showman half-stack for a Vibrolux 2-10" combo. History has shown that Joe got the better end of that deal. Everytime I watch his concerts now I still see that awkward kid (but man could he play). Good to see Anton working.
Now that really is a cool story bro. I saw Joe open up for Greg Allman, it had to be 2004. I had never heard of him at that point. He really smoked it too.

On a similar note, I saw Walter Trout in the early 80's in a small bar in Hainesport NJ that I played a few times called Horsefeathers. Saw Coco Montoya around then too, at a different place. They are pretty big names now in the blues world.
Old 02-22-2016, 12:14 AM
The SunDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
Now that really is a cool story bro. I saw Joe open up for Greg Allman, it had to be 2004. I had never heard of him at that point. He really smoked it too.

On a similar note, I saw Walter Trout in the early 80's in a small bar in Hainesport NJ that I played a few times called Horsefeathers. Saw Coco Montoya around then too, at a different place. They are pretty big names now in the blues world.
Thx Larry. That Dual Showman (that my brother still owns) was used by Joe on tour opening for, coincidentally, the Allman Brothers. The pull out bass boost knob was modded by the guitar tech for Dicky Betts.
Old 02-22-2016, 06:04 AM

I don't know man... These sorts of things just never resonate with me. There's not grit in it. They are all way too good. Joe especially. It sounds like they've been down this road so many times and there's no emotion left to put into the music. I don't have a great way to describe it but it seems so fake and slick.
Old 02-23-2016, 05:45 PM

I used to listen to a lot of their music. The best Beth Hart video I have ever watched is this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5UC1UYcjuc