DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 01-30-2015, 01:50 AM

Default Auction Problems - Need help! Tabla Experts As Well

Hey guys,
I recently sold a tabla set through e bay, and I'm now looking at a refund request from the buyer. I got the set in Nov 2009 with the intentions of learning, but could not find local lessons. At any rate, the set was barely used. Kala Kendar ships their tablas tuned, so I never messed with tuning or upset the tension. It has been safely stored for some time.
The seller sent me this message:
"Thanks for the fast and secure shipping. Then item arrived safely with no damage to he box, however there seems to be damage to the outer ring (not sure what is is called) of the larger drum. When I was messaging you about the drum, you had responded the heads were fine. However this doesn't seem to be the case. The "rip" wasn't apparent in the photos and wasn't detailed in your description through email. You stated the heads were in fine condition. Though you don't accept returns, I can still send a request for a return, as the eBay Money Back Guarantee covers me. I would prefer to handle this smoothly and have started the process with eBay. "
And also this comment:
"Large drum has a small tear in the head not noted in product description or correspondence with seller."
Here is the ebay auction with pics: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tabla-Set-Mu...:X:AAQ:US:1123
Here is the pic he sent:
Name:  damage.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  50.1 KB
Here are close ups from my pictures (not the best quality I know):
Name:  damage2.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  177.6 KB
Name:  damage3.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  202.7 KB
As you can see from my pictures, that spot is there, however it doesn't look as bad as the pic he sent. Also, I don't know anything about tabla heads. To me, it looks like a seam. I know that the drum would produce a note and did not have any compromised qualities like a busted snare head might have.
What do you think are my best options in this situation, given what I provided in the auction, tabla particulars, and his picture? Should I offer to just refund the price of a bayan head (large drum)?
I really appreciate any help/feedback! I know that odds are against me from the start since e bay doesn't seem to side with sellers often....
Thanks,
Adam

Last edited by adam!; 01-30-2015 at 02:00 AM.
Old 01-30-2015, 02:19 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: Auction Problems - Need help! Tabla Experts As Well

You might ask the buyer if he is interested in purchasing if the price was reduced.

Otherwise I would refund the money.
Old 01-30-2015, 07:00 AM
Silver Member

To avoid the hassle and potential backlash from eBay, I'd refund the money.

"Nietzsche is dead." - God, 1900
Old 01-31-2015, 02:24 PM
Gold Member

If you were a tabla expert you would know you need to reduce tension in the heads before shipping(after playing even), since temperature and humidity can greatly affect tension In natural heads. A friend left a djembe at my house once at full tension, I watched him crank it up to play, it woke me up in the middle of the night ripping.
Old 01-31-2015, 02:58 PM
Administrator - Mayor

I'm afraid that I too am very picky and would also want a refund. As the head is leather or hide it won't have a seam per se. Some leather or hide may have some grain to it but given where the rip/tear is located near a tuning strap I would be afraid of it ripping more. Save your reputation and offer a refund.