DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 10-10-2014, 09:40 AM

Default Anxiety before a gig

Hi friends,i am having a gig with my band on this sunday,and anxiety has started kicking slowly to me,i try not to think about it but most of the times i have a gig i get really anxious.
Any of you is experiencing the same?and what do you do to eliminate it.

- Thanks in advance!

George
Old 10-10-2014, 11:56 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Anxiety before a gig

I don't have very much gigging experience, but I have a fair few years of performance/competition behind me. I find it very much depends how prepared I am for the event. If I feel insufficiently prepared, it bothers me a lot and makes me very, very bad-tempered. If I feel ready for it, I convert the anxiety into excitement - after all, what a privilege it is to play for other people, and in my band, we watch each other's back so nobody needs to worry too much about cock-ups: all of us trip up occasionally, but nobody is allowed to fall.

Mind you, right now I'm in a proper grump about tonight's gig, because my hair isn't the right colour.

Ladies & gentlemen, I've suffered for my art. Now it's your turn (Neil Innes)
Old 10-10-2014, 12:07 PM
Pioneer Member

Fairly typical thing to happen to athletes, musicians, performers. The key is to turn it into positive thinking and go out and have fun. I had a time when I'd get super anxious before playing and after the first couple notes or first song I'd feel great and enjoy every minute of what I was doing. When I'd get done I'd ask myself, now why was I anxious about this and I'd still have no clue.
Old 10-10-2014, 12:36 PM

I used to get a bit anxious when I was in a covers band, which was probably because I knew that people would be comparing our versions to the originals. Now that I'm in a band that plays our own songs I don't get anywhere near as nervous. After all, nobody will know if I miss a fill or crash!
Old 10-10-2014, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magenta View Post
Mind you, right now I'm in a proper grump about tonight's gig, because my hair isn't the right colour.
HAGA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I can honestly say that I have never said that sentence in my life.

To the OP, try to convince yourself that your fear or anxiety is actually excitement. I used to have major stage fright. now I still feel something, but I see it as excitement and im always the first one on stage now.
Return of the Andy Nemesis
Old 10-10-2014, 03:59 PM
Gold Member

Everyone wants to sound good, some experience anxiety over this and others don't.

I think I used to then realized that anxiety caused tension and tautness in the muscles which negatively affected my playing causing less than optimal outcomes. So after many regular big gigs with a touring beach band during summers in the 70's I got over it as the routine set in and I chilled out. I just don't have those feelings any longer, it's more about taking care of business than worrying about my abilities or "how do I sound" at this point in time. It's nice to know that the folks up on the sound board know what they're doing, but with technique in tow and confidence in how you work the material it really shouldn't be a worry.

This is not a plug but there are several good books about this very thing. Wooten has one out as does Werner. Werner deals with this at greater length than Wooten but they are both contain valuable information for all musicians regardless of instrument.

Last edited by GeoB; 10-10-2014 at 08:36 PM.
Old 10-10-2014, 04:08 PM

Nervousness and anxiety is definitely common among performers of all sorts. But sometimes anxiousness can be a positive thing. Like I get anxious before every gig and it's a good feeling. It means the only thing I want to do is get on that stage is play.

If you're prepared, then there is no reason to feel nervous. Just don't worry too hard and play.
Old 10-10-2014, 04:42 PM
Gold Member

Anxiety or nervousness is normal. Some advice I got years ago was to not think about my performance and especially what I might do wrong, but to think of it as playing music as a band. Most people miss most mistakes we make. just keep playing. Being prepared is important but I never feel as prepared as I would like. Never! So play music, don't focus on your performance and be aggressive, or maybe a better word is strong in your playing and demeanor.

For me the nervousness actually goes away while the band is getting into position. By the time the first song starts I am focused on the music and it goes away.
Old 10-10-2014, 05:24 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoB View Post
Werner deals with this at greater length than Wooten but they are both contain valuable information for all musicians regardless of instrument.
Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer-russ View Post
So play music, don't focus on your performance and be aggressive, or maybe a better word is strong in your playing and demeanor.
Haven't read Wooten, but that's Werner in a nutshell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by no talent View Post
HAGA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I can honestly say that I have never said that sentence in my life.
It's ok, I'm making do (light auburn). On the positive side, it means I can wear my favourite lippy.

Ladies & gentlemen, I've suffered for my art. Now it's your turn (Neil Innes)
Old 10-10-2014, 06:07 PM
Silver Member

you are not human if you don't have some stage fright. your new technique to master is The Flow.

check Hal's article here on stagefright-and-relaxation:
+ http://www.halgalper.com/articles/st...nd-relaxation/

my take aways are this:
  • thought is the enemy of flow (Vinnie quote)
  • fake it
  • do NOT try to analyse your playing while performing
  • be calm but playful
  • be “exciting, not excited.”
  • save the "thinking" and logic for the woodshed & just "flow" on stage.

lots of read off Hal's site on performance psychology & flow. also check this: http://www.flowgenomeproject.co/
Old 10-10-2014, 06:21 PM
Platinum Member

If you know all your parts and are ready to play the gig, you have nothing to worry about. The best way to avoid nerves I find is to keep practicing until I can do it in my sleep and know I won't be screwing it up on stage.