DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 11-30-2013, 11:02 AM

Default Video recording setup.

Hi!
I plan on recording some simple drum videos.
For this venture I've recently bought a GoPro Hero3 Black Edition.
I will also be using a Behringer Xenyx2222usb (Picture), an old iPod 5th gen
and some drum mics (obviously).

Any suggestions as to how I should go about setting this up (connecting and so on)?
What i basically want to put on tape (camera if you will) are
the drums and the mp3-player.

It's rather banal, I know, but treat it as such if you please.
I've come across a couple of hurdles, thought this would be easier
than it seems to be atm ;)

Thanks for reading!
Old 11-30-2013, 01:15 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Video recording setup.

I just had a look at the behringer thing - it comes with a usb connection to pc and some recording software. So you'd have the mics setup on stands, plugged into the mixer, mixer plugged into the pc by usb, recording software open.

Get some headphones - and the best way to record is to have the mp3 player plugged directly into the mixer and feeding to your phones (along with the mics) so that you can hear both the song and the drums, and you don't have to try and sync up the mp3 with the drum recording separately later on (that can be annoying). This means the listener is hearing what you heard when you played drums to the track and how your time mated up with it.

Setup the camera - good thing about gopro's is they have a wall eye vision so you can sit them fairly close to your kit and they'll get everything in the shot.

If you want to create the video with the same recording pc, you'll need to upload the gopro footage to that pc and use a basic movie editing program like windows movie maker to sync up the video and audio (you'll have to import those files). If the software records in WAV format you will probably be better off converting to mp3 so that it's a smaller filesize and easier for your pc to process. You can do that in itunes if the recording software doesn't give you the option (it might). Mute the audio track recorded with the camera because it will sound like crap. Choose the best take (if you're doing multiple takes of a song) which can take a long time if you're very fussy, you might have to sit on it for a few days and watch them, bitterly disappointed with your playing (lol). Cut out the other takes from the video and finalize it.

If that computer is connected to the internet then you can just upload direct to youtube and wherever else.

This is why I would like to own one of those zoom q3 things.
Old 11-30-2013, 02:16 PM

Thanks for your reply!
I'm not completely new to using a mixer of this type. I've been using
an older (non usb version) of the Behringer as a practice setup for years.

Would you suggest plugging the mp3 into one of the channels? If so, with a splitter y cable (2x6.3 mm tele - 1x 3.5 mm tele) or to the 2xrca 2-track/usb input?
The latter is how i have the mp3 now, just playing along, not recording.

Also, my PC isn't very up to date (bought it 2007, it's a Dell studio 1555). Would it still be possible to use it, maybe working with a very simple audio software?
Old 11-30-2013, 03:02 PM
Platinum Member

Sorry I don't know what cable you should use but your pc might be okay. I put my recording pc together from the parts bin and it goes fine. I don't use it for anything else though.