DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 04-16-2013, 02:19 AM

Default Declaring my personal Goal

Hello all, to be blunt my double strokes are terrible, and I've narrowed this down to the fact that this is because my finger control is almost non-existent as I am self taught. For the longest time I have just accepted this as a harsh reality, but I have decided things are going to change. Right now my double stroke roll changes from fingers to wrists at 80 bpm and just under 100 becomes sloppy and uneven as wrist strokes. My goal is by may 1st to be able to play clean finger doubles at 120 and I felt that by publicizing this goal that you guys will hold me to this, and also give me extra motivation.
Riley
Old 04-16-2013, 03:05 AM

Default Re: Declaring my personal Goal

I just did a search on "double stroke" and there are lots of tips on them in the Drum Technique section.

I'm sure you'll get suggestions that a teacher is a good source for improving things like your rolls, and I agree. DVD's and youtube videos are cool, but a teacher can watch you and catch mistakes you aren't even aware you're making, thereby saving you the trouble of changing bad habits into good ones.

Edit: And you've got 16 days. Get going.

Last edited by ohiodrummer1964; 04-16-2013 at 03:09 AM. Reason: Edit
Old 04-16-2013, 03:08 AM
Platinum Member

Good for you! It's important to set goals. I need to do more of this myself.

It's a shame so many people have read or seen your post without giving you some feedback.
Old 04-16-2013, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiodrummer1964 View Post
I just did a search on "double stroke" and there are lots of tips on them in the Drum Technique section.

I'm sure you'll get suggestions that a teacher is a good source for improving things like your rolls, and I agree. DVD's and youtube videos are cool, but a teacher can watch you and catch mistakes you aren't even aware you're making, thereby saving you the trouble of changing bad habits into good ones.
Thanks for the reply, I currently have horrible technique as teaching myself led to many bad habits, but through the use of videos, all of the tips on double strokes in the forum, and advice and technique almost lessons from other drummer colleagues I have developed a double heavy pad routine. I have posted this thread more as a way to not let myself take the easy way out and continue to neglect it, because the goal has been made public.

On a side note I really wish I could take lessons but it just isn't in the cards for me at this point. Between school, working, coaching, athletics, and my band I can't find time for lessons. Also I have to put myself through university next year and drum lessons in my area cost you a kidney.... Hopefully on the future I will have time for drum lessons, and my teacher will be able feed his family with all the time he will have to spend correcting my bad habits....
Old 04-16-2013, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmulcahy1 View Post
Good for you! It's important to set goals. I need to do more of this myself.

It's a shame so many people have read or seen your post without giving you some feedback.
Thanks for the support, a view alone means that someone knows that I'm a liar if I don't meet my goal, and support is even better. Thanks to the community here I have found many answers to my endless questions.
Old 04-16-2013, 04:32 PM

Awesome. Just reading some people's posts in this forum gives me the drive to continue to practice, but you have taken it to the next level.

You should start a thread in the Your Playing section with before and after vids, just for your personal edification.

P.S. Skype lessons may not be quite as personal as face-to-face lessons, but they can be had cheaper, and are usually more flexibly scheduled!
Old 04-16-2013, 04:36 PM
Silver Member

A very worthy goal! Practice on!
Old 04-16-2013, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by groove1 View Post
A very worthy goal! Practice on!
I just opened this thread again because I forgot to mention that working on double strokes is a good goal in my first post, and the first thing I see is that Groove1 just said the same thing. Funny how that works. I'm sure a lot of us can use a little more practice on those.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:43 PM
Platinum Member

Dont you mean from wrists to fingers at around 80?

Practice doubles slowly and accent the second hit. Then work on moving up from there and transitioning to rebound doubles slowly and evenly.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:49 PM
Anthony Amodeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiodrummer1964 View Post
I'm sure a lot of us can use a little more practice on those.
agreed

I try to do a little maintenance everyday .....when I don't I find they dull just a bit
probably not enough for anyone but me to notice .....but it bothers me

I personally think singles and double are the eternal chase for every one of us

we should never be satisfied with how clean ours sound
Old 04-16-2013, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Amodeo View Post
agreed

I try to do a little maintenance everyday .....when I don't I find they dull just a bit
probably not enough for anyone but me to notice .....but it bothers me

I personally think singles and double are the eternal chase for every one of us

we should never be satisfied with how clean ours sound
I have Bob Breithaupt's Snare Drum Basics DVD, and he says the three basic strokes are Single, Double and Multiple Bounce, so I'm working on those three on my practice pad before I move on to other rudiments and the set.

I've noticed what you said about those getting dull if you don't keep up on them. Specifically, my weaker hand starts to lag behind my dominant hand.
Old 04-16-2013, 10:01 PM
Gold Member

Good Luck Rjoyce.......
Old 04-17-2013, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolate View Post
Dont you mean from wrists to fingers at around 80?.
That's how bad my finger technique is... I have never practiced it before and just naturally from using wrist strokes for 2 years with no finger technique. As I get up to the higher speeds where instinct and natural movements kick in my wrists naturally take over when I stop conscientiously thinking about finger strokes.