DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 02-06-2013, 01:29 AM
"Uncle Larry"

Default Thread rating

Does anyone use this?
I never have. Does anyone find it useful? Has anyone skipped a thread because of a low rating? Is there any way to search high rated threads only? Low rated threads?
Old 02-06-2013, 01:38 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Thread rating

Never used it, never pay any attention to it, never consider using it and unlikely to ever bother.

I read what interests me.....whatever that may be. Sometimes the most popular threads hold no interest for me and threads with only a couple of replies are fascinating. That's the beauty of so many options, I just go where I want to go. It's easy enough to figure out what I like and don't like on my own. I don't need the stars to do it for me.
Old 02-06-2013, 01:39 AM
Silver Member

I've never used it until just now. You're welcome.
:)
Old 02-06-2013, 01:40 AM
Platinum Member

Never knew what the stars meant until KIS got a bad star rating from some jerk a while back. Never use it. The number of posts is a better indicator - usually.
Old 02-06-2013, 02:42 AM
Platinum Member

I've never taken thread ratings seriously. Usually if it is rated it is because one is spamming, drum related or not, or trying to bump their thread. This is not always the case, but I have not had a use for it.
Old 02-06-2013, 02:43 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post
Never used it, never pay any attention to it, never consider using it and unlikely to ever bother.

I read what interests me.....whatever that may be. Sometimes the most popular threads hold no interest for me and threads with only a couple of replies are fascinating. That's the beauty of so many options, I just go where I want to go. It's easy enough to figure out what I like and don't like on my own. I don't need the stars to do it for me.
^ What Pocket said.

Old 02-06-2013, 02:51 AM
Platinum Member

I am going to rate all threads I participate in from here out. I'm an arrogant elitist, so don't expect high scores.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:26 AM
Platinum Member

Well I'll be dogged! What do ya know.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:35 AM
Renegade

I've occasionally given what I think threads with great advice or comments the 5-star treatment. I've also given 5 stars to threads that someone has unfairly marked down.

In recent times someone's become active with this and, to be honest, if I was to rate his ratings I'd give him two stars - if he was lucky :P
Old 02-06-2013, 05:33 AM
Platinum Member

Never saw that option either.
But being a teacher I mark for a living, and tire of assigning marks, so will not be marking any threads here in my relaxed time.
Like PFOG, my thread selection to read can be very random.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:25 AM
Silver Member

Didn't even know it existed. I go on what look's interesting, and sometimes who is posting in it
Old 02-06-2013, 12:14 PM
Platinum Member

i don't think it's that useful as you can't see who has rated a thread, i mean i just rated this thread as terrible and it dropped from four stars to three stars! not that it's terrible, it was merely a test
Old 02-06-2013, 12:27 PM
Platinum Member

Ever heard of statistics? The rating is the average of the sum of ratings submitted by the voting members.

It's like "Why did party A won? I voted for party B!" Your vote does count but it depends on the other votes of course - sometimes it makes a difference, sometimes it doesn't. The more submitted ratings the less influence your own rating would have.

Personally I see that thread rating as an option - you don't have to use it but if you want to express that you either like that post or dislike it - or to some degree, not taking full advantage of the maximum rating up vs. down - that would be a way to do it. Now does the thread rating influence whether a thread is interesting for me? No (as others have said before). So in the end it's a feature I could do without. An option that doesn't have to be used all the time, or at all.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:33 PM
Pollyanna's Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
Does anyone use this?
I never have. Does anyone find it useful? Has anyone skipped a thread because of a low rating? Is there any way to search high rated threads only? Low rated threads?
I do use it from time to time, especially on the "Your Playing" section, were a member has uploaded his playing and I love it, I often include it within my comment in the thread.

Other than that I might give a rating to a thread I think is really good, for whatever reasons, it's to reflect some appreciation of the thread starter.

I don't know if this is useful, I don't choose a thread because it's got high or low ranking stars, but sometimes, it's an indicator of the content of the thread, especially for the "Your Playing" section.

You can go through each section, ie: "General Discussion", and sort the threads in rating order if you wish so, or in any other order, ie: number of replies, number of views, etc.

There was/is a member who gives bad rating in some threads, without making any comments within the threads, like Grea, if I come accross such threads, I give a higher rating to balance things out.

All in all, it's a welcome feature, not essential by any mean, but useful sometimes... if we didn't have it, somebody would say "it would be nice to have a thread rating system", lol.