DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 09-05-2012, 06:20 AM
Platinum Member

Default OK fellow drum builders!

OK - my season with the Tama Granstars is done for now (or at least until after Christmas, which is when I'll start ramping up the playing again). So, I thought I'd throw a job out to our fellow drum builders here.

I'd like my 11x12 Granstar tom cut down to an 8x12, the bearing edge re-cut, and then re-drilled for the new lug placement. Anyone here interested in doing this job for me? I'm willing to pay shipping to you and from you, plus $50 to do the actual work. I have a feeling something like this should be child's play for some of you, or if you think the $50 is too little, let me know. I had a quote from a fellow who said he'd do it for $150, but I bought the entire kit for $300, so I didn't want to invest too much more.

Anybody interested?
Old 09-05-2012, 09:13 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: OK fellow drum builders!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
OK - my season with the Tama Granstars is done for now (or at least until after Christmas, which is when I'll start ramping up the playing again). So, I thought I'd throw a job out to our fellow drum builders here.

I'd like my 11x12 Granstar tom cut down to an 8x12, the bearing edge re-cut, and then re-drilled for the new lug placement. Anyone here interested in doing this job for me? I'm willing to pay shipping to you and from you, plus $50 to do the actual work. I have a feeling something like this should be child's play for some of you, or if you think the $50 is too little, let me know. I had a quote from a fellow who said he'd do it for $150, but I bought the entire kit for $300, so I didn't want to invest too much more.

Anybody interested?
Bo, have you worked out what holes will be left in the shell after the cut down, or are you not that bothered? I'm not familiar with hole distances/number of holes on a Granstar. I think you should allow the craftsman some tolerance on the finished depth you require so he/she can come up with the best compromise depth.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:20 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
Bo, have you worked out what holes will be left in the shell after the cut down, or are you not that bothered? I'm not familiar with hole distances/number of holes on a Granstar. I think you should allow the craftsman some tolerance on the finished depth you require so he/she can come up with the best compromise depth.
True, we can ball-park it around 8x12. I just want it to not look so tubular. I was looking at the drum the other day and maybe it can get cut down, leaving the former top of the lug hole as the new bottom lug hole? Or maybe cut it before the lug holes altogether and make it a squashed 12. I'm open to whatever works. 7x12 will also work if it has to be done that way. 9x12 is about as deep as I'd like to go.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:22 AM
Silver Member

^^^ I agree with Andy. The last 2 toms I cut down weren't exactly to standard depths due to the holes from the lugs. I cut an older 12" Superstar down to 9"+ something (from 11"). the owner wanted 10" but it wouldn't work with the holes.

The second was a 13" Rocker tom cut down to 8.25" from 12" deep. Again, the hole spacing was the major influence.

How big of a hurry are you? I could do it, but if I were you, I'd look for someone local. There are plenty of guys in Cali that would do it. I can recommend a few if you'd like. I cannot guarantee their prices, tho.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:40 AM
Platinum Member

You can give Pat a call down at Boneyard Drums. He's in Norwalk on Firestone Blvd. close to the 605. His little shop is cool. It's in a Storage Yard so you have to call him ahead of time. He does good work. That's all I can recommend.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:54 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by latzanimal View Post
^^^ I agree with Andy. The last 2 toms I cut down weren't exactly to standard depths due to the holes from the lugs. I cut an older 12" Superstar down to 9"+ something (from 11"). the owner wanted 10" but it wouldn't work with the holes.

The second was a 13" Rocker tom cut down to 8.25" from 12" deep. Again, the hole spacing was the major influence.

How big of a hurry are you? I could do it, but if I were you, I'd look for someone local. There are plenty of guys in Cali that would do it. I can recommend a few if you'd like. I cannot guarantee their prices, tho.
First of all,the guy that wanted 150 was just smoking rubber bands.Your offer for 50 and paying the shipping is the going rate.The whole job should take less than half an hour,including table saw set up.

Bo..because of the hole spacing,when you cut down Grandstars,like their Superstar cousins,you'll wind up with a drum a little shorter than 8" deep.I'm pretty sure from bearing edge to bearing edge it's around 7 1/2 to 7 3/4 "

Steve B
Old 09-06-2012, 03:09 AM
Platinum Member

Tamadrm- I have cut a few down for myself (hacked a 13" export tom into two timbales) and the work took a little longer than half an hour. But they looked very bad.

That said, if Bo, the enormous drumming monster and major contributing member here, was to send me a drum, it would take longer.

Remove all metal parts on the drum. Give it a rest on the table saw top to see if its flat to start with. Maybe measure the diameter a couple times to be sure its round, just in case.

His granstars have a super sexy stripper red wrap (is it paint/laquer? either way) that should be cut just short of the table saw cut (after the new depth of the drum is determined based on the hole spacing) with a sharp knife to avoid tearing the cut edge of the wrap in the table saw. THen cut it- this takes about 40 seconds once the fence is set which should take about 5 seconds.

Then put the bit for the inner bevel in the router table and route it after setting depth on a test block. Then adjust same bit or set a different (radiused) bit for outside shape or file/sand it in by hand. I find that drums that have a wrap will require some hand work to get the outside round over/bevel right because the router bearing ends up riding on the wrap and thus leaving a bump where the seam in the wrap is. Hand sand for 10 min or so going up thru grits until that round part is almost shiny.

Blow off the dust and take it back to the post office.

I'm giving this job an hour and a half so I dont F it up for him. Not arguing, just thinking it through.
Old 09-06-2012, 05:29 AM
Platinum Member

Measure the space in the middle of the drum between the ends of the lugs.
If you cut down more than that, you'll have to offset the lugs.
You can't cut exactly that much either or the ends of the lugs will touch. You've got to give them a little breathing room.
Old 09-06-2012, 10:39 AM
Silver Member

Look at that, you guys scared him out of it..... ;)
Old 09-06-2012, 11:32 PM
Platinum Member

I will do it- i am in CT though, surely theres a more qualified person that is closer?

I didnt mention the drilling and re-assembly above. Hes not scared just busy
Old 09-07-2012, 01:11 AM
Platinum Member

No, not scared out of it. Another project came up - I'm replacing the hoops on two of my snares (getting two complete sets of black chromed 2.3mm hoops) and new heads and snare wire for one of them, so I just tapped into the tom cut down job to the tune of $80. So my Granstar tom will have to remain a relic from the 80s for now.

Part of me is still a bit afraid that it may not sound the same when it gets cut, so you can understand my on-off trepidation.
Old 09-07-2012, 11:15 AM
Silver Member

Hehehehe... It just won't sound as boomy.