DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 08-09-2012, 04:55 AM

Default Can playing on a electric set make you sound better?

Hey guys i'm a drummer, 16 years old been playing around 3 years, and I play MOSTLY like 95% of the time on my electric kit, and I think I sound REALLY good, but then I go on my acoustic which is crappily tuned, the cymbols are ALRIGHT, nothing special, and I play on it, and I feel like I sound like crap and just like any other drummer, just "Ok" I mean I can't tell if I'm just more comfortable on my electric and the way it's layed out from so many years, but everything is so crammed together on the electric to, so i'm starting to think that, that is making it way easier to play .. lol.. and no it's not a big deal but I would like to sound the same on the acoustic if not better with dynamics, rim shots etc. I'm just curious too do you think the electric is easier to play? Or am I just more comfortable with it's layout, if so what should I do to make my acoustic more comfortable, possibly the acoustic just sounds worse, because it's tuned bad, and it's not the best of kits, as electric makes that perfect sound for every hit haha.
Old 08-09-2012, 05:02 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Can playing on a electric set make you sound better?

Well, welcome to the forum!

Your first post is a topic that's been discussed and argued about alot here. But the general census is that yes, the eKit will make you sound good without you having to know anything about pulling good sound out of an acoustic set.

They are two different animals, and I always recommend that the only way to sound good on an acoustic drumset is to play an acoustic drumset. There's no way around it. You have to put in the time and learn how to do it. And sadly, you will spend your lifetime learning how to do it (as we all are).

However, that said, sometimes you're in a situation where you can't play acoustic drums because it bothers everyone else around you, and playing an electronic kit is better than not playing at all. But it doesn't sound like that's your situation since you can play your acoustic drums too.

So, if you want to sound good on the acoustic drums, you have to play your acoustic drums. As you've discovered by now, hitting a pad only triggers a pre-made drum sample that was created by someone else. You didn't make the sound happen, you're just telling the module to play that sound sample when you hit the pad, and the module doesn't care how you hit the pad, and that's the rub. But I welcome you to stick around and discuss things with us - we're a pretty honest and forthright group of people, there's not alot of internet fighting going on and some of us even help each other and have become friends away from the forum. So you won't get misleading information on anything you might have a question about ;)
Old 08-09-2012, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
Well, welcome to the forum!
Thanks!
Wow.. that really helped alot!! I will start playing my acoustic more, I never really knew that it could be that different aha, and it's all true, it's very hard to get a nice sound when you just play eKit haha even though you can accent my electric kit because it's a newer module TD-9.

And i'll definitely stick around, i'm always learning!!
Old 08-09-2012, 05:10 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevonWelch View Post
Thanks!
Wow.. that really helped alot!! I will start playing my acoustic more, I never really knew that it could be that different aha, and it's all true, it's very hard to get a nice sound when you just play eKit haha.
A ha! So you did know the truth! Good. I know many older players who refuse to get some ideas.....
Old 08-09-2012, 05:14 AM

hahaha yes, for sure.. as for being comfortable on my acoustic, I guess i'll just play around with it ... I hate playing it because others complain in my house, but oh well. They can suck it up. ;)
Old 08-09-2012, 05:22 AM
Gold Member

AAAAHHHHH the noise of an acoustic kit, something you might as well get used to. There are ways to muffle it and still get the feel of it. You can also muffle your drum room to help out with the noise.
Old 08-09-2012, 05:47 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevonWelch View Post
possibly the acoustic just sounds worse, because it's tuned bad,
Definitely.

Badly tuned drums sound horrible. Certainly hard to get motivated about hitting something that sounds like crap. Practice your tuning too.....it's a skill that needs to be developed and takes time to do so. Your ears (along with everyone else's) will thank you for it.
Old 08-09-2012, 06:23 AM
Platinum Member

While a good sounding, well tuned acoustic kit helps a lot with getting a good overall sound, a skilled player can make even a crappy-sounding kit work. May not sound as good as if he/she were playing a better sounding kit, but you can still tell the drummer is skilled and knows how to get the best out of what's there.

As Bo said, e-kits and acoustic kits are different beasts.
Old 08-09-2012, 06:29 AM

I've been through exactly this. Played only electric for about 4 years, and when playing gigs on an acoustic drums I felt totally out of my comfort zone, and sounded crap.

I've spent the past 5 years trying to get good at acoustic drums, took me a long time figure out dynamics and I sounded crap for quite awhile... after thinking I was great for all my years on electric.

But you get past that and reach a point where you think you sound crap on an electric, because it isn't able to capture the dynamics and feel that you learnt by playing acoustic for a few years, and everything you play on electric feels 'stale'.

These days I avoid electric kits as much as I possibly can.
Old 08-09-2012, 06:38 AM
Silver Member

Hmmmmmm, I'm on the fence with this one.

I think ekit's can make some things sound better and some thibgs sound worse. They can be hard to get certain beats grooving like latin or jazz as they're missing the ambient noise that glues it all together.
Can be great for pop some rock snd modern metal shenanigans with perfectly isolated and super projected samples.

I steal some of the feel back with customised pads and triggering Superior Drummer 2 which gives me the modt authentic sound, feel and response.
Still not the same.

I do the majority of my practising on my ekit and have learned to adjust to both. They are virtually different instruments and some of my acoustic inventions don't work aswell on ekit snd vice versa. Just learn how to cheat the sound out of it.

Obviously if you have terrible drums and tuned them badly you're going to sound crap. Even if you have a great kit, tuned to perfection you'll have to adjust to the extra noise.
It has added benefits though, I've learned to cleab my acoustic sound by copying ekit snd record sounds, applying techniques to get a clean acoustic sound.
I find the ambience of acoustic kits help you groove better and ekits flatter mediocre chops that don't work nearly so well on acoustic and require deadly precision.

So, they both have pros and cons. Learn both and find what you like about each and try to meet somewhere in the middle with both instead of treating one as master and one as inferior tool.

Also, if you can hook up to Superior Drummer do it! If you can't then edit your ekit and make it as messy as possible. Increase the sustain on snare, toms, cymbals etc. Turn cymbals up, turn turn toms down and pick the trigger setting with the largst dynamic range showing up as much inconsistency in your technique as possible.

It's far too easy to let terrible ekit balancing flatter our playing. Who sets these damn things up?!
Old 08-09-2012, 04:07 PM

Had to jump in on this one. Two things, first, what you play on an electric kit will not transfer over to an acoustic kit. I know this from experience. The rebound is different, the spacing is different. It has now gotten to the point where I never "practice on my electric". In the rarte times I do play it, I use it for writing only. Second, electric kits are more forgiving. You need to be able to tune you acoustic kit, something an electric makes you lazy with. Also, depending on the settings, the dynamics on an electric kit are practically non existant. All of this, plus more, comes to the minute you sit behind an acoustic kit. Be careful how you use your electric in relation to you acoustic.
Old 08-09-2012, 04:46 PM

When transitioning from eKit to Acoustic, I found that it took me a week or two to get used to the placement of the drums and the subtle changes in technique, but once I got there, everything I could play on the eKit easily transferred over. Stick with acoustic drums and you will be comfortable in no time!
Old 08-09-2012, 04:49 PM
Platinum Member

I bought an e-kit. I thought I'd use it to practice but it just isn't much fun or challenging, it's only there for band practice (city apartment) otherwise i'd sell the thing. It has real drum heads and the sounds are very good but at the end of the day it's more a toy than an instrument, and that goes for all of them, I've tried them all.

One good thing about it though, is that it's user friendliness encourages you to experiment in ways that you wouldn't experiment on your real drums, it gives another perspective (as with the practice pad) that can help you understand the real kit. If I were you I would practice on the acoustic kit at least 1/2 the time, preferably all the time.
Old 08-09-2012, 07:29 PM
Platinum Member

I sometimes joke that when I owned a Roland TD-10 kit (then the top of the line that cost a little over 5k then) it was the most expensive practice kit I ever had! It got returned. 127 levels of dynamics just doesn't cut it for me. Back in the 80s when I jumped on the Octapad, and then a little later I played the Zendrum, I was actually doing gigs with those things. Now when I look back on it, I wonder what the heck I was thinking ;)
Old 08-10-2012, 12:31 AM
Silver Member

If I had to sound "Heavy" it would help me considerably because I'm an old guy who can't play "Heavy"....maybe a few minutes before I was completely worn out! With the electric,
I can dial it in and play lighter and sound Heavy. I remember when the electric drums started
getting refined I said to myself WOW, I could play rock again!

Another idea is that maybe you are able to practice on the electric drums when the sound
from acoustic drums would be objectionable to someone...so you can get more practice time
in by having both.

Technique wise, I would say learn on acoustic drums and you will find electric drums are
easy to play.

fwiw, In the 90's I had a Roland TD10 kit and spent more time checking out all the menus and tweaking the sounds than I ever did playing it. I also purchased 2 JBL powered speakers
etc to go with it and a monitor..(for me it was all a mistake)..In the end, hauling all that wasn't worth it to me. I played out with it 1 time! (but I was Heavy!)

Last edited by groove1; 08-10-2012 at 12:35 AM. Reason: add sentences
Old 08-10-2012, 01:33 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by groove1 View Post
If I had to sound "Heavy" it would help me considerably because I'm an old guy who can't play "Heavy"....maybe a few minutes before I was completely worn out! With the electric,
I can dial it in and play lighter and sound Heavy. I remember when the electric drums started
getting refined I said to myself WOW, I could play rock again!

Another idea is that maybe you are able to practice on the electric drums when the sound
from acoustic drums would be objectionable to someone...so you can get more practice time
in by having both.

Technique wise, I would say learn on acoustic drums and you will find electric drums are
easy to play.

fwiw, In the 90's I had a Roland TD10 kit and spent more time checking out all the menus and tweaking the sounds than I ever did playing it. I also purchased 2 JBL powered speakers
etc to go with it and a monitor..(for me it was all a mistake)..In the end, hauling all that wasn't worth it to me. I played out with it 1 time! (but I was Heavy!)
Yeah, same thing happened to me. But I knew it going in that I would need a good sound system going in and I carried my own system with separate power amps, speakers, and a Yamaha O1v mixing console at the time. I might as well have been carrying the sound system for the entire band. It sucked. You trade one demon for another, I guess.
Old 08-10-2012, 02:24 AM
Silver Member

I think alot of stubborn drummers miss the point with ekit's. They are NOT just a practise pad with sound nor a toy.

They are just a different beast. A variation of the instrument we know how to play. those who grasp this concept and learn to use the strength of each excel (and get more work).

We are the only musicians who have such tunnel visioned views on new technology for our insteuments.
The other musicians sre out their creating daily with every sound, surface, tool pedal or whatever that can expand their musical horizons.

I still think although ekits charm in many ways some things don't work aswell on them. It's not some 'cheat' tool that makes you better than you are. Dynamicly it makes you worse, textured grooves suffer, ambience suffers, cymbals need new techniques to get the to respond more realistacally etc. All ofnthis comes naturally on an acoustic kit so it's not as one sided as people make out.

Acoustic drums are my favourite but, I don't mind ekits either and play differently on both.