Fixing an old vintage drum set/piece

Filip!

I already posted pics of my Sonor Swinger, its in bad shape unfortunately and i dont have much money at the moment to spend in him or even buy a new and better kit.

So i posted this for some advices, about bearing edge, tuning, refinishing it and all the other things important to make a drum set look and of course sound good.

Let's start with ....what sizes are the drums? What kind of music do you want to play?

I have 20'' bass, 13'' rack tom and 16'' floor tom.

I dont have some specific music genre which i prefer, but i usually play rock, from hard rock to indie and alternative.

Are all your bearing edges shot? Or just the reso. rack tom, because of the missing hoop?

Well i dont have reso heads and hoops on my toms, i never actually had it, i bought that drum set like that.

And i'd really like to improve it, maybe change finish, fix my bearing edge and so on. .

Well, 2 reso bearing edges that (might) need work, not a big deal. First things first, find yourself some hoops and reso heads and tension rods. I've got a Rogers project, well, now a Rogers/Ludwig project here: http://harryconway.typepad.com/ kinda photo documented. Still have to assemble my 13x9 rack, but my 22x14, 12x8, and 16x16 came out just the way I wanted.

I was about to do that, but when i saw the price of hooks i just gave up..

Its to much, not for reso heads, they arent a big deal..

And i never really had any experience in fixing of bearing edge, so that could be a problem..

Maybe post some pictures of your bearing edges, see what you have going on. My 16x16 floor tom had serious water damage/ply separation going on. Got the old wood glue and clamps out, and I started the methodical process of fixing. When I was done with that, threw a drum head and hoop on it, and tuned it up. It was healed. Sweet. You can check yours simple buy mounting your batter hoops reso. side. Look for wrinkles in the head as you tune it up. "Thinking you have a problem" and "having a problem" are sometimes two completely different things. Sometimes we just get lucky.

Back