I may have to really like these (again)...

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
So, have you seen the new DW5000 pedal ads? After years of subjecting us to that idiotic move of using VELCRO on the bottom plate of the pedal, they've finally gone back to what they started with in the 80s: RUBBER!

'Bout friggin' time!

I may have to like these pedals again. That was the one reason I couldn't use these pedals: velcro only works if you like it permanently planted on a carpet, but it never worked if you were on a hardwood floor or something similar (yes, I can play on a hardwood floor and not have my stuff slide all over the place). So this may be cause for celebration around the galaxy ;)

Here it is:

http://www.dwdrums.com/hardware/5000/pedals.asp

Oh god, that Velcro is such a pain when I try to remove the pedal from the carpet in the band room at my uni. I have to use both hand and lots of leverage.

Oh god, that Velcro is such a pain when I try to remove the pedal from the carpet in the band room at my uni. I have to use both hand and lots of leverage.

I know! Of course, I know some guys who've removed the velcro and replaced it with rubber, but I figure if I was going to spend $179 for a single pedal, it should be the way I like it right out of the box! When I played the DW EP-1 electronic pedal, those were standard with the rubber on the bottom plate, and I loved those!

I really want to give the 5000 a try especially with the new features (friction rather than hook & loop, hoop friendly clamp). I play a 9000 now, but I've gathered the 5000 isn't as buttery and I might actually like that.

I really want to give the 5000 a try especially with the new features (friction rather than hook & loop, hoop friendly clamp). I play a 9000 now, but I've gathered the 5000 isn't as buttery and I might actually like that.

That was my impression of the 9000 too. Too much butter. I guess it is possible to put in too much of a good thing. I so prefer the feel of the 5000, but I've been avoiding them because of that velcro thing. But I suppose at these prices, I might as well try Sonor's Giant Beat pedals too....

Oooh, I didn't know pedals came with velcro! I would have loved these for my electronic kit, I find (found) the kick-pad constantly moves backwards unless I put something heavy behind it. Pissed me right off.

I hear you guys on the "buttery" thing.
I am really enjoying my new Tama Camco reissue pedal because it has to be worked like the pedals of the old days.

I hear you guys on the "buttery" thing.
I am really enjoying my new Tama Camco reissue pedal because it has to be worked like the pedals of the old days.

Considering the DW5000 is basically the old Camco, which Tama made somewhat better when they got it, I'm surprised DW was able to add more butter. They couldn't leave a good thing alone. This is like when they kept introducing more and more razors to shavers. Two blades are good, but FIVE are even better!

Considering the DW5000 is basically the old Camco, which Tama made somewhat better when they got it, I'm surprised DW was able to add more butter. They couldn't leave a good thing alone. This is like when they kept introducing more and more razors to shavers. Two blades are good, but FIVE are even better!

I'll take the extra butter in the 9k, thank you. I prefer my pedals to be as transparent as possible. Plus, butter makes a good lubricant for shaving.

I have an older (early-mid 90s) DW5000 double and recently went looking for a new replacement. The new 5000s were a big disappointment for me. They felt a lot heavier and sluggish compared to the old style.... There's a lot more metal all over the thing: double chain and sprocket, wider footboard, bigger heel plate. It's really overkill and the performance of the pedal suffers.

The 3 pedals that felt closer to the old single chain pedal were the DW9000, Iron Cobra, and Eliminator.

I thought I'd be playing 5000s for life but now I'm considering the Iron Cobras which were always a bit of a dark horse for me.

They put velcro on the bottom BY DEFAULT? That's some silly design there... Why add something, that can easily be added by anyone with an 1/8 of a brain, that some people won't like? Just include the velcro stickers in the box, then it works either way and everyone is happy.

They put velcro on the bottom BY DEFAULT? That's some silly design there... Why add something, that can easily be added by anyone with an 1/8 of a brain, that some people won't like? Just include the velcro stickers in the box, then it works either way and everyone is happy.
A very valid point!

I use a drum rug for every gig, even if the venue stage has carpet, so I really like the Velcro feature. I still use the DW5000 on my gigging kit, but I prefer the Yamaha 9000 series. Better made, & less money. I'm surprised by the new Yamaha pedals. Their general hardware is unbeatable IMO, but their pedals were always a bit "industrial", not so the new stuff.

A very valid point!

I use a drum rug for every gig, even if the venue stage has carpet, so I really like the Velcro feature. I still use the DW5000 on my gigging kit, but I prefer the Yamaha 9000 series. Better made, & less money. I'm surprised by the new Yamaha pedals. Their general hardware is unbeatable IMO, but their pedals were always a bit "industrial", not so the new stuff.

I also use a rug for every gig so the velcro isn't an issue for me either. It makes setup faster even though it's one more thing to cart around because I have the layout of the pedals and such marked on the rug.
I also like that it's a subtle hint to other musicians on small stages or in a theatre pit as to how much space the kit needs.

I also remember always being impressed with Yamaha hardware years ago but not so much their pedals. I'll have to give them another look. Thanks for the heads up.

Back