Rock drumming & Hammond, Woohooo

Andy

Honorary Member
I'm in one of those rare buzzing moods this morning. We auditioned a key player last night. We'd heard he was a monster Hammond & piano player but you hear that sort of reputation stuff quite often. The reality rarely matches up to the advertising.

He walked in, set his gear up then did a 20 second sound check. Whoah!! I was hooked. You can just tell in the first few seconds how good a player is likely to be. Suffice to say I was blown away. I've played with a few talented ivory guys in the past but this guy was something special.

Anyhow, we jammed a few numbers. I found my drumming changed almost instantly to embrace the new sound. The interplay possibilities between the super percussive nature of the Hammond sound and my drums were endless. The band power increased almost beyond measure. The whole rhythm aspect of the band was enriched to the point whereby I was able to indulge myself with little drumming nuance pieces without loosing pace or drive. Oh dear, will KIS still KIS?

I'm having a ball on this & I'll post some stuff as soon as we have something available.

Those kind of keyboard players are rare as roosters' eggs. Hang onto that one!

Incidentally, I was at my friend's house the other day and the landlord had left an old 'home' Wurlitzer model in the outhouse. Hours of fun there.

Cheers MFB. The Wurlitzer sounds like a blast. I love that "ascending through the stage floor" sound. Our new key player doesn't have an original Hammond, just a Hammond in a box gadget. The sound is still great though. Both he and I would love to have an original complete with a brace of Leslie's but transport & stage sizes precludes that option.

Great news, KIS! Nuthin like a good organ! (ahem)

Yes, good musos help bring the best out of you - they give you something to shoot for.

Shoot & organ in the same post. Dangerous! I agree though, it makes you raise your game and it puts a big smile on my face when I'm being pushed. I love the interplay potential between the percussive element of the Hammond sound and the kit. Lots more stuff to explore.

Back