Drum professors in colleges?

Funky Crêpe

Silver Member
Do any of you know of teachers that teach drum kit playing in colleges in america or outside? Because the kit teacher will be a big swaying factor in which colleges I will choose to apply to. I can only think of a few music colleges, and they are the big ones

Where are you looking to apply?
Are you thinking places like Juliard, New School or Berklee?
Or more of a state school?

I'm going to Berklee and I know that the staff there is incredible, and they have every type of music you could imagine there too.

North Texas is doing some really unique things with the staff there too.

What do you want to know?

Where are you looking to apply?
Are you thinking places like Juliard, New School or Berklee?
Or more of a state school?

I'm going to Berklee and I know that the staff there is incredible, and they have every type of music you could imagine there too.

North Texas is doing some really unique things with the staff there too.

What do you want to know?

Hey, thanks for actually following it up and asking ME a question! I don't have a preference really. If there is an only okay school with a great teacher ( mainly in jazz, maybe funk sort of stuff) then I wouldn't let it stop me from applying. I would love if there was a site where is would state the colleges in the us and they're drum instructors you know. I know of berklee and its teachers.And i know john riley is an instructor somewhere. Really if you know of anywhere with good or well known teachers, just say it. I can research schools for months, but there may be a small school somewhere with a killer teacher there you know? Like, I have heard that kansas is a great jazz area, i mean really great, but any schools or good teachers up that neck of the woods? That sort of thing

And I have heard great things about berklee, but i have also heard that you can get the same EDUCATION somewhere else for much less. I say education because nowhere could be better than new york as a place for networking.......I'm guessing!

Hey, thanks for actually following it up and asking ME a question! I don't have a preference really. If there is an only okay school with a great teacher ( mainly in jazz, maybe funk sort of stuff) then I wouldn't let it stop me from applying. I would love if there was a site where is would state the colleges in the us and they're drum instructors you know. I know of berklee and its teachers.And i know john riley is an instructor somewhere. Really if you know of anywhere with good or well known teachers, just say it. I can research schools for months, but there may be a small school somewhere with a killer teacher there you know? Like, I have heard that kansas is a great jazz area, i mean really great, but any schools or good teachers up that neck of the woods? That sort of thing

And I have heard great things about berklee, but i have also heard that you can get the same EDUCATION somewhere else for much less. I say education because nowhere could be better than new york as a place for networking.......I'm guessing!

I think that John Riley teaches at manhattan school of music, but he did go to North Texas so I wouldn't be surprised if he still does clinics and stuff there.

But Berklee is definitely one of the most expensive schools out there, but a lot of other music colleges are around the same amount of money. Just do scholarship auditions, I wouldn't be able to afford college without it. Also, and this may sound a little "off", but if your any kind of minority it does help.

For the money, I would definitely see if NY is a place you could go.

My recommendations would be Berklee (I'm totally bias), almost anywhere in NY so manhattan school of music, New school, I've heard good things about NYU, North Texas
(I have some friends that love it there) and thanks to Paul for saying USC, that is definitely one I missed.

Also, the amount that you learn is going to be determined by how much effort you put in, not just the staff, just be a sponge when you find out where you want to go, learn everything you possibly can

Look at some small liberal arts colleges. I know that places like Greenville College and Belmont have programs focused on music performance in the modern pop context, so they would have options like that. If you are hoping to start a successful band in college, look for schools with good music business/promotion programs (and even think about doing that. If you're a musician and manager it's a lot of work, but it's one less person to pay).

It's good to look at the drum instructor but you should also look at the school itself. Does it have great musicians throughout the whole school? You get more from attending a program that is great all around. Juilliard, Manhattan, and Eastman should top anyones list. They produce the best players in general.

Great answers! A lot of the schools came up a few times, and they were the ones I had in mind. Really, being a minority helps, today? I dunno about that one, if the college is in a cosmopolitan area, why be bias....or even rasist for that matter.

Good advise on picking a college with good students and that, but this thread was started to get the faculty if schools, and thanks to you I got some good names! Thanks

Hi Funky,

I'm making an assumption you are living in Cork, Ireland? Have you considered Salford University? One of the tutors on the jazz course there is Steve Gilbert. I had lessons from Steve when I started out and he really is an amazing drummer and a really nice bloke. In terms of networking areas Manchester has a hugely influential music scene from Jazz, to rock to big band. It's all there for you.

I also think, again assuming you are from Cork in Ireland, that remaining in the EU for your education might be a little easier to pull off than getting into a US college.

Hope this helps.

Hi Funky,

I'm making an assumption you are living in Cork, Ireland? Have you considered Salford University? One of the tutors on the jazz course there is Steve Gilbert. I had lessons from Steve when I started out and he really is an amazing drummer and a really nice bloke. In terms of networking areas Manchester has a hugely influential music scene from Jazz, to rock to big band. It's all there for you.

I also think, again assuming you are from Cork in Ireland, that remaining in the EU for your education might be a little easier to pull off than getting into a US college.

Hope this helps.

Yeah, not to disrespect england AT ALL, but I never really enjoyed the vibe of the place. There is one great drummer in ireland called conor guilfoyle. I will apply to that college in dublin and see if i get in, but also some colleges abroad. WAS thinking of leeds uni aswell.

Yeah, not to disrespect england AT ALL, but I never really enjoyed the vibe of the place. There is one great drummer in ireland called conor guilfoyle. I will apply to that college in dublin and see if i get in, but also some colleges abroad. WAS thinking of leeds uni aswell.

That's interesting, what was it about England you didn't like? It's a big place.

That's interesting, what was it about England you didn't like? It's a big place.

Yeah, I know. The odds are that I would grow to like the place. Just that when I compare myself to the common english man, I'm completely different ( really I'm not a "blokey bloke" if that makes sense to you. But at the same time, it is a pretty cosmopolitan place, its more so than ireland, but I want to go to a completely different culture. I think I'd prefer living in a "different" place. Some where thats a bit eccentric, more so tha england....but less than asia! Thats why i was thinking new york or maybe san fransisco ( Although I'm not homosexual, and don't think of myself as a hippy!), or maybe a different european city. Meh, It'll all come to me in good time!

Back