Reputation as a drummer

ChurchyDrums

Hey all,

I'm just curious of everyone's opinion when it comes to playing in a lot of bands. I like a wide range of music and get invited to join bands often, some containing somewhat protige musicians and some containing mediocre ones... Do you think it's bad to play in many bands, some not being very good? Regardless of effort (i'll be putting in 110% all the time) Do you think there is such thing as damaging your reputation?

Hope that makes reasonable sense.

Cheers,

Churchy

It all depends on the assumption of "good" and "bad" in regards to the musicians and bands you're playing with, and the eye of the beholder watching and "judging" you as a performer, you're putting yourself 110 % in your project(s), that can only be perceived as a bonus I guess.

But, the reputation of a drummer is not solely based upon his/her drumming, it plays a major role of course, but the personality, the likability of a person also plays it's role, you want to be around people you'll feel at ease with, both on a musical and human level.

From reading your OP post, my guess is that you'll be alright playing with the different bands, despite the different skill levels within the bands, if you're a decent drummer with a likable personality, your reputation as drummer will be intact, or grow and increase in the best cases.

I don't think reputation is an issue, it's just that if you aren't around top-notch musicians, it is much more difficult to improve yourself.

As long as I'm working, my reputation is fine. A lot of pros do unexpected gigs now and then, and it's because they simply love to play... which the best reason!

Bermuda

Last edited:
Most of your reputation comes from your attitude, your professionalism, and your playing. And your band doesn't have to be the last word in technically or musically gifted in order to be something that people want to see. Do your best, be on time, and bury the click. You'll be fine.

If you choose to play with less than stellar musicians sometimes, I think that would only strengthen your rep. You're obviously no prima don and will work when you can. Nothing wrong there.

If I see a band where the players aren't that hot, but there is one player who is hot, I don't detract a thing from the "hot" player. In fact I'm more likely to give him even more cred just for their attitude.

A drummers rep is really important if you are serious.

I knowingly damaged my rep only one time, but it was worth it to me because the guy was IMO a piece of human garbage who no one cared about anyway.
They wanted me to set up on a stairway landing that was about 4 feet by 4 feet. It was such a joke and the guy had me drive an hour in rush hour traffic to do this. The place, an Italian restaurant, was dead empty too. I told him "I can't believe you drug me out here for this. Don't call me anymore" Then I walked out. They ended up doing it drummerless, and guess what? The owner totally stiffed them anyway, they got paid nothing.

I don't think it's bad at all as long as you're around level headed musicians and importantly if that's what makes you happy. I currently play in 2 bands, a third one starting next week. Because of the reputation of the first band I joined, that has landed me the other two bands. But like alparrot said it's all about your attitude, professionalism, and the way you play. I also want to add good time management with your schedule. I'll be honest, my third band is the one I enjoy most because they're fantastic musicians/songwriters and they make me want to get better as a player. I'm not saying I get bored with the other two it's just more gigs to play in the month. The more I play the happier I am. Luckily, there's no exclusivity and it's great self-verification seeing how many musicians invite you to join/jam with their band after the set you just played, heh.

It's fine as long as you don't spread yourself too thin and have gigs booked at the same time with different bands. This is not really good for your reputation not being able to perform when called upon. I know how it is to be a juggler.

Dennis

Do you think there is such thing as damaging your reputation?

I suppose, at some point-- but for now it's better for you to get as much playing time in as you can. You'll be able to tell when it's a waste of your time playing with certain people. For now, just worry about building your reputation as a solid player who makes the band sound good, and who shows up on time with a good attitude.

I used to be one of those guys who was too good to play cheesy covers, or play with people who I didn't deem superstars on their respective instruments.

Now I'm not a total ****hole anymore. If it's music, I'm not too good to give it a try. Doesn't mean I won't take off if it's not working out, but it's not for vanity or reputation protection. I play with total newbies at open jams, I "get together" and jam/work with anyone who wants to.

Somehow, my reputation remains in-tact. A few times, I've even found that some of those "total newbies" improved amazingly and now are kick ass musicians who both know and respect my playing.

It's easier to harm your rep playing with very good players than weak ones. You'll hurt your rep if you play with good players and blow it ... poor time and dynamics, stepping on others' parts, throwing tantrums, being late,not helping out in shared work etc.

Obviously you want to end up in a stable line-up with a good band but I see no harm in a bit of community work with the less gifted so long as you're having fun. If people want to know what the hell that great drummer's doing in a band like this? then you're enhancing your reputation as an individual if anything (as has been said, you're only really going to look bad in a situation where you're letting the side down).

In terms of the possible alarm bells people might hear around a guy who appears to flit from band to band, I think if you've impressed someone sufficiently for them to ask themselves the question then they'd at least want to find out if there's anything in it.

Thanks everyone, you've all helped a lot.
I'll just keep playing and doing what's best by myself and my bandmates.

As always, you're all awesome!

Cheers,

Churchy

I don't think there's anything wrong with playing with multiple bands/artists, but I feel like you shouldn't keep the other groups in the dark about it.
I'm just a college student, but I have quite a few people calling me. However, I have one project that takes priority over everything else. Whenever anyone calls me, I make sure my schedule is clear (obviously) and I tell them that I'd be happy to help, but as more of a fill in/sub than a regular member and I tell the artist I'm most focused on that his project is still the most important project I'm working on. Most people appreciate the upfront professionalism and I've just been getting more and more calls lately.

I don't think there's anything wrong with playing with multiple bands/artists, but I feel like you shouldn't keep the other groups in the dark about it.
I'm just a college student, but I have quite a few people calling me. However, I have one project that takes priority over everything else. Whenever anyone calls me, I make sure my schedule is clear (obviously) and I tell them that I'd be happy to help, but as more of a fill in/sub than a regular member and I tell the artist I'm most focused on that his project is still the most important project I'm working on. Most people appreciate the upfront professionalism and I've just been getting more and more calls lately.

What grade are you in? I'm in the same boat! Although not so many Jazz bands out where I am, unfortunately.

Back