New cymbal?

J0hnnyboy

Hey Guys and Gals,

The other day i found out one of my 14" AAX Metal crash is cracked and is no longer under warranty. I'm looking into replacing it. My Current cymbal set up is AAX 13" Fast Hats, AA Metal Ride, HHX China and i threw in a Zilijian Z3 16" crash. Im wondering what is a good cymbal to add to my line up.

PS. I have been really into Keith Moon for a while and i'm thinking of adding something from his line up into my kit. I know he rarely used a hi hat. I am also wondering what he used instead of a hi hat, i know it was a crash just not sure of what size and make.

i know it was a crash just not sure of what size and make.

Moonie used whatever he could get his hands on.....due to incessant breakage. But he's reported to have used Paiste Giant Beats and A Zildjian's a lot. At a guess I'd say 18" and 20" would be common sizes for him.

DrumEatDrum has a pretty good handle on all things Moonie, I'm sure he'll chime in too.

Go larger. Much larger. From the sound of it, you're playing loud and hard - and small cymbals only give off so much volume, can only be hit so hard, before they break. Go for 18"s, 19"s, and 20"s. Even 22"s are starting to come back in vogue. 14"s and 16"s, for harder rock and metal, are like splashes are in other genres.

Moonie used whatever he could get his hands on.....due to incessant breakage. But he's reported to have used Paiste Giant Beats and A Zildjian's a lot. At a guess I'd say 18" and 20" would be common sizes for him.

DrumEatDrum has a pretty good handle on all things Moonie, I'm sure he'll chime in too.

At the time weren't Paiste Giant Beats and A Zildjians the only game in town?

And being old school like I am, Paiste and Zildjian are still the only game in town for me even after I've played my fair share of nice cymbals by other manufacturers. I always would like to try new brands (even new old ones) but cymbals, unlike my drums, are very much in the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" category ;)

A 14" AAX Metal Crash seems like an oxymoron to me. To play metal one needs large crashes: 18", 19', 20". Peace and goodwill.

Back