Your Favorite Alcohol High

Larry

"Uncle Larry"
On the rare occasions I do hard liquor, I find that rum makes me dull, tequila is interesting, bourbon is my favorite, Kamikazes are pretty cool and the rest I don't really know about. I like the beer high the best, but I don't like that you have to drink so much.

What's your favorite alcohol high and why?

Re: What is the your favorite alcohol high?

Well, since you ask ...

In no particular order:

Gin (Bombay Sapphire, Tanqueray, Hendricks at a push)
Stella Artois
Fizzy wine (not remotely fussy as long as it has bubbles and it's dry)
Sancerre/Chablis
Sauvignon blanc

Why? Well, because it would be rude not to.

Beer or red wine. mostly because of great taste, but also they are the most controllable. I never get out of hand with those two. I don't like getting drunk anyway.
I rarely drink hard liquor, but if I do, straight vodka on ice with a lime (also controllable, lol).

Scotch.

I like the taste of certain beers - ales, actually - but they don't really agree with me.

Wine doesn't taste good to me, and gives me instantaneous heartburn.

So, yeah. Scotch.

Tequila.

The wife and I go out for Tex-Mex at least twice a week. You simply can't eat meat fresh of the parilla without downing 2 margaritas on the rocks. You just can't do it.

Another bourbon guy here. I like Beam. The 10 year stuff is nice. Aside from that I like really interesting complex beers. As a whole, though, I don't like to get drunk, only a bit buzzy. The feeling of being drunk is very uncomfortable for me, I was never sure why people liked that. Especially to the point where you throw up. I had buddies in school who literally wouldn't stop drinking until they barfed.

I don't really care for it but a Champagne drunk is great. It is different than other alcohols, makes me goofy.

Scotch.

So, yeah. Scotch.

You drink that for enjoyment? Wow.

It's my medicine of choice - has to be single malt though. Anything else doesn't do it for me. The peatier (i.e. muddier/shittier) the more efficacious. No pleasure to be derived, but a whole lot of well-being.

You drink that for enjoyment? Wow.

It's my medicine of choice - has to be single malt though. Anything else doesn't do it for me. The peatier (i.e. muddier/shittier) the more efficacious. No pleasure to be derived, but a whole lot of well-being.

See, I enjoy the peaty/muddy/shitty taste. Must be single malt to experience this correctly. The well-being is just a bonus.

See, I enjoy the peaty/muddy/shitty taste. Must be single malt to experience this correctly. The well-being is just a bonus.

Rethpect. ........................

Good vodkas (Absolut, Kettle One, Grey Goose in no particular order). Enjoy Gin & Tequila but have gotten in too much trouble with either of those. Scotches & Bourbons (dark liquors) guarantee me a hangover. Beer seems to be a lot of work for little payout. Can't get past the smell of wine, go figure.

Most old world red wines except anything French (mostly too expensive for good quality). Exception is (new world) good quality South American malbecs. Andy favourites = any really good Valpolicella, deeper Dao varieties, & older Barolos :)

Favourite high? If I'm honest then I'll have to answer, all of 'em.

Beer. Only ever had two kinds....good and better. Bud doesn't count as no-one could seriously consider it beer.
Jack Daniels. Sipped neat from a glass if I'm refined. Swigged straight from the bottle if I'm not (and the missus is nowhere in sight) and sometimes with coke if the desire takes me.
Bourbon. If for some reason I can't get Jack.
Vodka tonic. No lemon or lime wedges....why do they do that? Talk about ruining a good drink.
Gin and tonic. If no vodka....again, sans lemon/lime.
Red wine. Either expensive or quaffer.....all the same to me.
I also have an expensive penchant for French champagne.
And if at a cocktail party, I can work my way through the entire list whilst at the same time turning up my nose at how unmanly the whole concept is and ordering a beer chaser in order to add some extra testosterone.
Never much cared for Scotch, but I often wonder that now I'm older I should try to aquire a taste for some of the well aged stuff.

Sorry for the essay......I guess you could say I'm partial to a tipple.

Last edited:

I use Listorine sometimes. I aim for once a day, but sometimes I'm just too tired.

Anything that pours, except (unfortunately) hopped beer. It would appear that I inherited an allergy to hops from my dad, believe it or not. He'd go anaphylactic and end up in the ER if he got *near* the stuff. I'm not quite so badly affected. I can drink 5 sips and be viciously sick for a week (it causes instant gastritis), but not rush-to-the-ER level sick. The thing that really sucks is having to avoid beer-battered fish&chips and the like: frying the beer in the batter apparently does not denature whatever wierdball protein it is from the hops that sets my gut off.

So I console myself with everything else. I'm especially fond of small-batch island rums these days, like Clarke's Court Old Grog from Grenada, or Seven Fathoms from Grand Cayman... The closest mass-import rum you can get here in the US without going down island for them is Mount Gay from Barbados. One thing that must be said: Bacardi products are not rum. I don't know exactly what they *are* (parts washer fluid, perhaps), but rum they are not. I can't stand 'em. They have permanently turned more people off from rum than anything else... (;-)

Well in the 70's it was beer with purple micro-dot. I don't drink alcohol anymore. OR DO THE OTHER STUFF.

I don't really care for it but a Champagne drunk is great. It is different than other alcohols, makes me goofy.

My first wife used to get very abusive with people when she drank champagne.

Jules, Jack Daniels is bourbon, no?

I like light American lagers, like Bud. Heavy beers are too bitter for me. Wine makes me tired and dull.

The only time I will drink is after a gig, and I don't even do that anymore. Not at home, not usually even at a party. Alcohol is something I can't even do on a semi regular basis, it's too strong for me.

Mmmmm scotch. Give me some dark, peaty stuff like a Laphroaig Quarter-Cask. That, is a fine dram.

Back