SETLIST that gets gigs right now? Need your hottest covers!

dazzlez

I got nothing better to do for almost a year so I might as well learn around 30-70 songs that are popular and will help me get a gig(assuming I join or get a band together as well) when I get back to civilization again.

Could you please name as many hot songs as possible that is a good idea to learn?
I like prefer the 60s music but whatever that gets me the gig!

More info.

Narrow down what type of gig you're angling towards. I wouldn't suggest you learn Even Flow if you're looking for a classic rock cover band. I wouldn't suggest you learn Brown Eyed Girl if you're looking for a Top 40 cover band.

Pesky semantics like musical style make all the difference to what's relevant and what's not. But a general rule of thumb, especially for classic rock (including 60's era), is anything that was a danceable hit is worth having on the radar. Get the girls up, keep 'em happy and the blokes will follow....they always do.

It is very difficult to put together a song list with no band members.

But when you do get a band together, here are some songs to learn that always get the audience tapping their feet and rocking out:

Rockin’ Pneumonia and The Boogie Woogie Flu

Honky Tonk Woman (Ride that cowbell hard)

Cocaine

You Really Got Me

Not Fade Away

Mony Mony

Don’t Be Afraid Of The Dark

Two Princes

Little Miss Can’t Be Wrong

Tumbling dice

Can’t Explain

Give A Little Bit

Tush

La Grange (If you play it correctly)

Fooled Around And Fell In Love

Hold On I’m Comin’

Hot Legs

That’s How Country Boys Roll

Streetcorner Symphony

Can’t Stop This Thing We Started

Brokenhearted

Sorry but I think you are doing this 'cart before horse'.
Join a band *first*. Find out *their* setlist, then learn it. Any reasonable band will give you time to work through and learn their songs.

Yes it may help to know a few before then, but what songs to learn depends on what band you will join, which does not exist (yet). So its all a guess.

i'm sure you've drummed along to a few tunes.

Whatever it is, Sweet Home Alabama will probably be on it....extra points for morphing into Kid Rocks highly original and ground breaking All Summer Long.

And then go into "Werewolves of London"...lol

Bonzolead

My band is very protective of our set list ( not me, they have a weird thing about it). they actually write them in a joking kind of code that only the band knows. I guess im not supposed to let anyone know what we play??

I don't have that much experience with this but it seems to me you play what makes you happy, what you do well and with a passion for the music and the crowd will follow, within reason, of course :)

If you want song titles though, the 60's music that comes to mind is Brown Eyed Girl, Johnny B Goode, Louie-Louie, Somebody to Love and You Really Got Me. But that's just off the top of my head.

Could you please name as many hot songs as possible that is a good idea to learn? I like prefer the 60s music but whatever that gets me the gig!

Despite so many seemingly iconic songs from the last 30-35 years, it is truly the oldies ('60s) and classics ('70s) that most cover bands get gigs with. Sure there are some newer songs that can be squeezed in, but a lot of old favorites like Hollywood Jim listed are popular not just with the folks who listened to those songs growing up, but with the younger 'kids' who are also familiar with the music. If a song was good then, it's good now. And a lot of today's alt and rock bands aren't doing anything much different than 40-50 years ago, the biggest difference is in the production (and usually less innocent lyrics.)

One of my bands is strictly top-40 covers, with an emphasis on oldies & classics. Anything newer just happens to fit, but we don't do new stuff just to do new stuff... the songs have to blend, and be enjoyable/danceable. The current setlist is:

And She Was
Hurts So Good
Have You Ever Seen The Rain
Jumpin Jack Flash
Second Hand News
Take Me To The River
Higher Ground
Down On The Corner
I Saw Her Standing There
All Day & All Of The Night
Go Your Own Way
American Idiot
Gloria (Them)
Dirty Water
The Middle
Fat Bottomed Girls
ROCK in The USA
Lonely Boy
All Summer Long / Sweet Home Alabama
Brown Eyed Girl
Play That Funky Music
Rebel Rebel
Long Cool Woman
Wooly Bully
Old Time Rock & Roll
Mony Mony
Gimme Some Lovin
I’m A Believer
One Way Or Another
I Love Rock & Roll
Blister In Sun
Mustang Sally
Sedated
What I Like About You
Runnin Down A Dream
Honky Tonk Woman
I Want You To Want Me
Keep Your Hands To Yourself
Rock & Roll All Night
Highway To Hell
Joy To The World

So yeah, we creep into the '80s a bit, and only a few songs are from within the last 10 years or so.

Other tried & true songs that 'everybody' knows are Midnight Hour, Brown Sugar, Beach Boys & Beatles hits, Chuck Berry hits, Who, Dave Clark 5, Animals, and you can do heavier stuff like Zeppelin, Cream, Hendrix, etc, but only the better known stuff, no "deep cuts" as the radio programmers used to say.

Bermuda

You could start off by learning all the popular songs of the era with cowbell in them. Not even kidding! Nice wide variety of music too.

This is actually a pretty good list!

Despite so many seemingly iconic songs from the last 30-35 years, it is truly the oldies ('60s) and classics ('70s) that most cover bands get gigs with. Sure there are some newer songs that can be squeezed in, but a lot of old favorites like Hollywood Jim listed are popular not just with the folks who listened to those songs growing up, but with the younger 'kids' who are also familiar with the music. If a song was good then, it's good now. And a lot of today's alt and rock bands aren't doing anything much different than 40-50 years ago, the biggest difference is in the production (and usually less innocent lyrics.)

One of my bands is strictly top-40 covers, with an emphasis on oldies & classics. Anything newer just happens to fit, but we don't do new stuff just to do new stuff... the songs have to blend, and be enjoyable/danceable. The current setlist is:

And She Was
Hurts So Good
Have You Ever Seen The Rain
Jumpin Jack Flash
Second Hand News
Take Me To The River
Higher Ground
Down On The Corner
I Saw Her Standing There
All Day & All Of The Night
Go Your Own Way
American Idiot
Gloria (Them)
Dirty Water
The Middle
Fat Bottomed Girls
ROCK in The USA
Lonely Boy
All Summer Long / Sweet Home Alabama
Brown Eyed Girl
Play That Funky Music
Rebel Rebel
Long Cool Woman
Wooly Bully
Old Time Rock & Roll
Mony Mony
Gimme Some Lovin
I’m A Believer
One Way Or Another
I Love Rock & Roll
Blister In Sun
Mustang Sally
Sedated
What I Like About You
Runnin Down A Dream
Honky Tonk Woman
I Want You To Want Me
Keep Your Hands To Yourself
Rock & Roll All Night
Highway To Hell
Joy To The World

So yeah, we creep into the '80s a bit, and only a few songs are from within the last 10 years or so.

Other tried & true songs that 'everybody' knows are Midnight Hour, Brown Sugar, Beach Boys & Beatles hits, Chuck Berry hits, Who, Dave Clark 5, Animals, and you can do heavier stuff like Zeppelin, Cream, Hendrix, etc, but only the better known stuff, no "deep cuts" as the radio programmers used to say.

Bermuda

To add to Bermuda's list:

Jenny, Jenny
Long Train Running
Summer of 69
Summertime Blues (Eddie Cochran version)
Satisfaction
Gimme Three Steps

Always got a good reception from audiences.

Don't stray too far from the original arrangements. People who come out to see cover bands are looking for familiarity,

One of my bands is strictly top-40 covers, with an emphasis on oldies & classics. Anything newer just happens to fit, but we don't do new stuff just to do new stuff... the songs have to blend, and be enjoyable/danceable. The current setlist is:.......................

Bermuda

Thanks for the list it's perfect.I love that it's 60's that gets played right now that's what I've mainly been listening too for the last 10 years.

I don't have that much experience with this but it seems to me you play what makes you happy, what you do well and with a passion for the music and the crowd will follow, within reason, of course :)

If you want song titles though, the 60's music that comes to mind is Brown Eyed Girl, Johnny B Goode, Louie-Louie, Somebody to Love and You Really Got Me. But that's just off the top of my head.
My plan was to get a huge list of songs that goes down well in pubs and then pick the ones I like the most =) I don't think I will have problem, been into 50's and 60's music for a long time now so I actually truly love most songs listed ;D

Sorry but I think you are doing this 'cart before horse'.
Join a band *first*. Find out *their* setlist, then learn it. Any reasonable band will give you time to work through and learn their songs.

Yes it may help to know a few before then, but what songs to learn depends on what band you will join, which does not exist (yet). So its all a guess.

i'm sure you've drummed along to a few tunes.

You might be right but if I'm gonna learn a few songs on my own I might as well do it proper and with a goal of certain amount of songs within a certain amount of time to keep me practicing. Otherwise it's hard to push yourself to learn loads of songs when you don't have a band to push you forward. It's also good so I have a bit to play right away if I wanna jam at a open mic night etc. And when and if I hopefully get a band together I will have a saying in it and will at least be able to pick a few songs I practiced already...

You could start off by learning all the popular songs of the era with cowbell in them. Not even kidding! Nice wide variety of music too.
Haha I think you're right! Suggestions? =)

To add to Bermuda's list:

Jenny, Jenny
Long Train Running
Summer of 69
Summertime Blues (Eddie Cochran version)
Satisfaction
Gimme Three Steps

Always got a good reception from audiences.

Don't stray too far from the original arrangements. People who come out to see cover bands are looking for familiarity,
Cheers!

It's good to know all the common ones, but what you actually play often depends on the band members (vocal range and persuasion etc.).

If you want to start your own band.. then you can create your own killer set list and find the right members.

Another method for getting cover ideas is to survey various band sites.. they usually list the setlists on their site.

Back