Looking Interested

Blackbird316

I've been playing for a little over a year now, and I drum at church. One of the things I've been trying to work on is stage presence, because that's really not my strong suit. I'm not the most extroverted guy, so excessive head-banging isn't really my thing.

I've been told that I play great, but that I look bored when I play, even though I have a blast. Any ideas on how I can improve my stage presence without going over the top?

I've been playing for a little over a year now, and I drum at church. One of the things I've been trying to work on is stage presence, because that's really not my strong suit. I'm not the most extroverted guy, so excessive head-banging isn't really my thing.

I've been told that I play great, but that I look bored when I play, even though I have a blast. Any ideas on how I can improve my stage presence without going over the top?

Neil Peart looks bored too, so you're in good company.

Neil Peart looks bored too, so you're in good company.
I was just typing something along those lines! But I was also going to mention that he learned to toss his sticks high and catch them just right, along with a couple other flourishes. His parts are also pretty intricate and require a lot of concentration.

I wouldn't get too wrapped up in trying to develop a stage presence lest you look like you've contrived one. One may emerge as you further develop your playing and confidence.

As long as you are fully engaged and seriously wouldn't rather be doing anything else in that moment, it will show and that will be your presence. You'll have that glow of being in love, to go hard-corny.

You can't fake a stage presence. Although, I suppose you could take acting lessons...

Here's a suggestion, when you practice at home, set up a mirror and watch yourself play. This should work wonders.

I have been working on the same problem. I, too, play for my church as well as another band. My wife is always telling me to smile more. She says I look too serious and sometimes even mad!
I try to smile without looking fake. To keep it from looking fake, I try to find someone to smile at whether it be someone in the band or someone in the audience. Also, I have found, while playing at church, if I just let the spirit fill me and really get into the music it helps a lot.
Good luck and SMILE! :)

Well your in a church....there really isn't much you can do unless you wanna go over the top. Then if you go over the top your taking away from what the focus is supposed to be on. Trust me...I started playing in church. Got asked to tone it down and that's when I decided it was time to leave.

Ya, I did a chuch gig for 7 months and never got any stuff about "stage presence". We had all other sorts of trouble, but not about stage presence. I was too busy trying to concentrate and play good. Stage presence is about playing in front of a crowd that wants to be entertained. Not worship services.

Thanks for all the replies. And I know that I'm not supposed to be entertaining people, but I'm sure in a worship service, people want to be led by a band that seems enthusiastic about what they're doing.

Today, I tried just getting into a groove and really getting into the music and I think that helped a lot.

Back