Tom mount setup?

lucasm

I bought a new ddrum Reflex five piece set a couple months ago and was wondering how I should set it up.
It came with ball mounts that clamp onto a cymbal stand.
I have them setup and they both (mostly the middle tom) rest on the bass drum.
I've heard from other people every time I hit the bass drum, the tom will go out of tune.
Is that true? Any other setups possible?
I'm not really looking to buy any other stands to mount my toms on.

Do you mean that one or both of your toms' bottom rims are actually touching the bass drum? This should be avoided. Try raising them a little higher until they are clear of the bass drum. If this makes them difficult to play, try tilting them a little more towards you. You could also try sitting a little higher.

Do you mean that one or both of your toms' bottom rims are actually touching the bass drum? This should be avoided. Try raising them a little higher until they are clear of the bass drum. If this makes them difficult to play, try tilting them a little more towards you. You could also try sitting a little higher.

Yes. The high tom really isn't touching it because of how small it is, but the middle one is so heavy it still falls down onto the bass drum.

I remember back when deep power toms were the norm, getting that second tom in a comfortable position without touching the bass drum was a pain in the butt. This was especially true for me since I'm not tall. But your toms are pretty shallow so this shouldn't be an issue.

So my previous advice stands. Put'em higher til they don't touch. Nice kit by the way.

Yup you need to raise them up, you are going to ruin the finish on the bass drum more than anything other than possibly hearing the rattle of the rim in a mic when you hit the bass drum.

also when you raise them up, tighten all points really hard, the mount may actually be slowly sliding down (the cymbal stand that is) during use.

If the tom tom is moving something isn't tight enough. Not sure if it's at the ball or the clamp on the stand, but when flying toms all of the adjustable parts need extra care to be sure they are tight enough.

In the picture you can see the top portion of the shaft is knurled, and the bottom part is smooth.
The clamp you can tighten should be on the knurled section, for grip, and tightened down enough that it won't allow the tom to slide down.
You don't have to over-tighten it, and break something though.

Back