DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 06-15-2018, 03:40 AM

Default Please help - is this bearing edge normal? (Picture attached)

Hi all, new drummer here. After wrestling with the tuning of my 10” and 12”
Toms I resorted to purchasing a drum dial. Snare and bass drum tuned in less than 5 min but no such luck with the 10” and 12” drums. After drum dial appeared to indicate high spots (or warping?) in the shells, I tried the light test. First on granite top, then on a piece of plate glass (resting on black poster board). Attached pic shows the light visible under the bearing edge.

Is this normal for new drums?
Attached Images

Old 06-15-2018, 03:43 AM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: Please help - is this bearing edge normal? (Picture attached)

That doesn't look right to me.
Old 06-15-2018, 03:53 AM
Platinum Member

If the result is the same over multiple flat surfaces, then yes, that's not right.
Old 06-15-2018, 03:56 AM

I went through a similar situation recently, and was really surprised at how few actually "true" surfaces I could find around my house.

I used an accurate, machined aluminum level to find a usable surface for testing. So, just be sure your surface is accurate before deciding the drum's not right.
Old 06-15-2018, 04:34 AM
Platinum Member

If you are not sure of the flatness of the surface, turn the drum on the same area of the surface. If the same amount of light comes through when you turn the drum, it's the surface that's off. If the light changes when you turn the drum, the drum is off.
Old 06-15-2018, 05:42 AM
Platinum Member

^+1

That's quite a gap. I can't imagine any counter or glass is that warped over such a small distance, so it must be the drum.
Old 06-15-2018, 05:43 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallyY View Post
If you are not sure of the flatness of the surface, turn the drum on the same area of the surface. If the same amount of light comes through when you turn the drum, it's the surface that's off. If the light changes when you turn the drum, the drum is off.
Ding ding ding. We have a winner. Step right up to claim your prize.
Most "flat" surfaces are not as flat as they appear, but if you mark off what appear to be the high points and rotate they should follow.
This is strange for a Yamaha kit, as they have always been extremely precise, but it may be because it's a new series and someone does not know what they are doing.
It's not an excuse for Yamaha though. If that really is bearing edge deviation they should be ashamed. I could cut flatter edges by dragging it across my driveway.
Old 06-15-2018, 07:53 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallyY View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ineedaclutch View Post
Most "flat" surfaces are not as flat as they appear, but if you mark off what appear to be the high points and rotate they should follow.
Sound advice on both posts.

Many surfaces you think would be flat, are far from it. Glass is variable, especially thinner pieces, & even granite worktops aren't always accurate. The only truly flat surface is a specifically manufactured surface plate, & even then, only when it's certification is up to date.

Of course, most people don't have access to a calibrated surface plate, but a thick section ground granite counter top usually comes close. Perform the rotation checks described above to verify.
Old 06-15-2018, 12:37 PM
Platinum Member

I have a new Tour Custom kit, never checked mine but they tuned up easy and sound great? Owned many Yamaha kits over the years and they have always been built great, never a problem.

I hope it turns out it's not the drums?
Old 06-15-2018, 12:53 PM
Gold Member

If you have access to a large micrometer you could measure the height of the drum around it between all the lugs. The micrometer will tell you if the drum is off, and it won't fool you like an unflat surface would.
Old 06-15-2018, 01:41 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrInsanePolack View Post
If you have access to a large micrometer you could measure the height of the drum around it between all the lugs. The micrometer will tell you if the drum is off, and it won't fool you like an unflat surface would.
But what if the lugs are off? Or what of they measured for the lug off the side with the dip in the edge? Wouldn't that give a false reading?

Just asking-not trying to be a dik...
Old 06-15-2018, 01:57 PM
Silver Member

We do not seem to have gotten the result of the test.

That would be surprising coming from yamaha.

Hope everthing turns out ok.
Old 06-15-2018, 02:55 PM

Thanks so much for everyone’s feedback, it’s super helpful! The suggestions were great. I retested making sure to rotate the drums inside the same circumference and marked the shells where they appear to be high/wobble.

Surprisingly to me, the granite appears to be flatter than the plate glass! That said, the drums show the relatively same gaps as they rotate. If I read your comments correctly, that means it could be the drums, correct? I am certain the 10” is bad. That’s the pic I attached to the original thread. It is awful, at least to my eye, in terms of the shell’s squareness or consistent, even height all the way around, if that makes sense.

As another check, I took the 10” and 12” tons to my drum instructor (30+ years tuning and playing) so he could lend a hand (and ear!). I arrived 30 minutes early for my lesson so we could ‘knock it out quickly’ and have some extra time for this week’s lesson, but no luck! After an hour, the best we could do was sort of a ‘meh, doesn’t sound too terrible...’ type tuning.

I totally agree with the comments on Yamaha quality. The drums look incredible! Bass drum tuned up in ~5 minutes and sounds great! I splurged and bought a recording custom brass snare (5.5”) for the kit and it tuned up in ~5 min too and sounds fantastic to my ear! Carter Beauford, Steve Gadd, Steve Jordan and Gulli Briem are some of my favorite drummers. I only ever see and hear
Great thing about Yamaha and I really dig their subtle, classy and workmanlike style.

Regardless of how this turns out, I don’t think it can change my mind about Yamaha. They make exceptional drums. No 2 ways around it.

I am confident this will get sorted out shortly.
Old 06-15-2018, 03:35 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongrel View Post
But what if the lugs are off? Or what of they measured for the lug off the side with the dip in the edge? Wouldn't that give a false reading?

Just asking-not trying to be a dik...
Sorry, measure the bearing edges top to bottom between the lugs, not the lugs themselves. So, lay the drum on it's side and measure the distance from bearing edge to bearing edge. A good micrometer will give you a reading down to the thousandths of an inch.
Old 06-16-2018, 10:03 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewdoo View Post

Surprisingly to me, the granite appears to be flatter than the plate glass!
It almost always is. A granite top is machine ground on it's decorative surface, clear glass is rolled.
Old 06-16-2018, 02:51 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
That gap looks pretty significant. What’s your plan? Return the drums or get the shell re-cut? Either way, your tubs are gone for an unknown length of time.
Old 06-16-2018, 04:00 PM
Gold Member

If you live anywhere in driving distance to Precision Drum, bring that to them, and they will fix it in a blink.
Old 06-16-2018, 05:27 PM
Gold Member

Those drums need to go right back to where you purchased them from.

Last edited by ineedaclutch; 06-16-2018 at 05:28 PM. Reason: Apparently I can't spell drums
Old 06-16-2018, 06:20 PM
Platinum Member

Lots of drums don't have perfectly flat bearing edges, even the top of the line stuff has problems every now and then, so it's not really a surprise to me to see an edge like this. It's a simple fix by having the edge recut. You could return it, but then you are waiting for new drums to come in and you can't guarantee the edges will be flat on those. I'm not sure where you live but if it's in/around Chicago I could recut it for you.
Old 06-18-2018, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Thanks so much for everyone’s feedback, it’s super helpful! The suggestions were great. I retested making sure to rotate the drums inside the same circumference and marked the shells where they appear to be high/wobble.

Surprisingly to me, the granite appears to be flatter than the plate glass! That said, the drums show the relatively same gaps as they rotate. If I read your comments correctly, that means it could be the drums, correct? I am certain the 10” is bad. That’s the pic I attached to the original thread. It is awful, at least to my eye, in terms of the shell’s squareness or consistent, even height all the way around, if that makes sense.

As another check, I took the 10” and 12” tons to my drum instructor (30+ years tuning and playing) so he could lend a hand (and ear!). I arrived 30 minutes early for my lesson so we could ‘knock it out quickly’ and have some extra time for this week’s lesson, but no luck! After an hour, the best we could do was sort of a ‘meh, doesn’t sound too terrible...’ type tuning.

I totally agree with the comments on Yamaha quality. The drums look incredible! Bass drum tuned up in ~5 minutes and sounds great! I splurged and bought a recording custom brass snare (5.5”) for the kit and it tuned up in ~5 min too and sounds fantastic to my ear! Carter Beauford, Steve Gadd, Steve Jordan and Gulli Briem are some of my favorite drummers. I only ever see and hear
Great thing about Yamaha and I really dig their subtle, classy and workmanlike style.

Regardless of how this turns out, I don’t think it can change my mind about Yamaha. They make exceptional drums. No 2 ways around it.

Do me a favor please and send me your contact info so that I can get this looked at and sorted out for you. Send me a PM and I'll give you my email.
Old 06-19-2018, 06:06 AM

Drumnhands - I sent a PM with email information. Thanks for offering to help me! In your opinion, should I think about upgrading to a higher end kit to ensure the shells are correct dimensions? Maybe it’s worth it to exchange and pay the difference on a maple custom absolute or smaller recording custom kit since they’d be perfect and last forever. Or would you normally expect pretty good bearing edges in the tour custom series? Ideally, I would like to stay with Yamaha. I really dig their drums and artist line up.
Old 06-19-2018, 03:55 PM

Quote:

No, that means it's the surface that's the problem.
Old 06-19-2018, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheElectricCompany View Post
No, that means it's the surface that's the problem.
I think he's saying that the gap follows the drum, not the surface, which would mean that the drum is at fault. the wording is not clear, though.
Old 06-19-2018, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_M View Post
I think he's saying that the gap follows the drum, not the surface, which would mean that the drum is at fault. the wording is not clear, though.
Ah, good catch. OP, can you please clarify?
Old 06-19-2018, 09:44 PM

Hey guys! Yep, that was VERY poorly worded. Sorry about that...

The gap/light is very consistent when I rotate the drum. Based on drum dial troubleshooting and forum members’ guidance, I take that to mean the bearing edge is uneven, or that the drum is not ‘square.’