DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Pedals

Pedals Discuss Pedals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 06-13-2018, 10:13 PM
Reggae_Mangle's Avatar
Reggae_Mangle Reggae_Mangle is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Away in Singapore
Posts: 918
Default Anyone switch from longboards to short boards?

Doing some recording of late and I was extremely flustered at my lack of control over my Trick Bigfoots when it came to complex patterns.

Admittedly, I am a very straightforward player and my sixteenth’s are just straight ahead, with very few patterns thrown in.

But for this recording, I was really trying to go for broke.

While playing, I found that the longboards seemed to be fighting me. I have good balance, but it just seemed like my foot had to travel a lot more in order to get the stroke in, and that often put me off balance, particularly while switching parts or playing fills in the next bar.

Being your typical frustrated drummer who blames his tools (well, not really, these are great pedals), I figured that I would try out a short board to see whether things improved.

I like the feel of my Tricks and they had an option to buy just the short board assembly to modify my pedals, so I placed an order.

Just wanted to see if anyone else with longboards ever moved back to regular size boards.
__________________
"... As war machine, crushes their balls, God have mercy..."
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-13-2018, 10:25 PM
Dr_Watso's Avatar
Dr_Watso Dr_Watso is online now
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 5,974
Default Re: Anyone switch from longboards to short boards?

Yea man, I started out on long boards and they're much easier to use. It's just less struggle.

Went to short boards and feel like there's more maneuverability it's just a bit more work.

Honestly though, I like a quality body-board over any stand up surf. Charging down the wave headfirst is it's own thrill.
__________________
"I always wanted to be remembered for; being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn." - Lemmy
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-14-2018, 12:34 AM
AzHeat's Avatar
AzHeat AzHeat is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Gilbert, AZ
Posts: 1,154
Default Re: Anyone switch from longboards to short boards?

I found the angle on the longboards tougher to handle with anything requiring finesse. Had an Axis Short, loved it. Had a great idea the longs would be better, so she’d the short for longs and ended up hating them. Went to DW 9000, but that was too short, went to Yamaha Direct Drives, great pedals, but still felt they were too short, shorter than the Axis short anyway. Went to Mapex Falcon and they are exactly the right length.

I can get the footboard much higher than longboards, but have my heel firmly on the heel plate when I need to. Also far less finicky with the sweet spot. You have to constantly ride your foot up and down the footboard on longboards to stay in the sweet spot for a particular feel. That’s just way too much to think about. I just like throwing down a pedal and not thinking about it. Longboards were anything but set it and forget it for me.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-14-2018, 01:52 AM
cbphoto's Avatar
cbphoto cbphoto is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Möbius Strip
Posts: 616
Default Re: Anyone switch from longboards to short boards?

Does Trick sell a conversion kit?
__________________
~ CB
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-14-2018, 06:26 AM
Reggae_Mangle's Avatar
Reggae_Mangle Reggae_Mangle is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Away in Singapore
Posts: 918
Default Re: Anyone switch from longboards to short boards?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbphoto View Post
Does Trick sell a conversion kit?
Yes, they do. A bit pricey at $119 per board, but cheaper than buying a whole new pedal.

I like the response of my pedals, could go really, really fast. But when it came to playing syncopated kick rhythms, I found that the slightly longer throw used to make me lose my balance.

Of course, perhaps I was just trying things beyond my playing level, in which case this will be an expensive experiment.

You can also do the reverse with their conversion kits, i.e. go from shortboards to longboards.
__________________
"... As war machine, crushes their balls, God have mercy..."
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-14-2018, 04:48 PM
Reggae_Mangle's Avatar
Reggae_Mangle Reggae_Mangle is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Away in Singapore
Posts: 918
Default Re: Anyone switch from longboards to short boards?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Watso View Post
Yea man, I started out on long boards and they're much easier to use. It's just less struggle.

Went to short boards and feel like there's more maneuverability it's just a bit more work.

Honestly though, I like a quality body-board over any stand up surf. Charging down the wave headfirst is it's own thrill.
I wish I could surf :(
__________________
"... As war machine, crushes their balls, God have mercy..."
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-14-2018, 04:49 PM
Reggae_Mangle's Avatar
Reggae_Mangle Reggae_Mangle is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Away in Singapore
Posts: 918
Default Re: Anyone switch from longboards to short boards?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzHeat View Post
I found the angle on the longboards tougher to handle with anything requiring finesse. Had an Axis Short, loved it. Had a great idea the longs would be better, so she’d the short for longs and ended up hating them. Went to DW 9000, but that was too short, went to Yamaha Direct Drives, great pedals, but still felt they were too short, shorter than the Axis short anyway. Went to Mapex Falcon and they are exactly the right length.

I can get the footboard much higher than longboards, but have my heel firmly on the heel plate when I need to. Also far less finicky with the sweet spot. You have to constantly ride your foot up and down the footboard on longboards to stay in the sweet spot for a particular feel. That’s just way too much to think about. I just like throwing down a pedal and not thinking about it. Longboards were anything but set it and forget it for me.
Yeah, I feel I'm doing something wrong when I have to adjust my foot position in order to play faster, slower, etc. Thanks for confirming that aspect to me.

I wish I didn't sell my Falcons, but I needed the money. If this whole thing goes south, I'll try and pick up another pair. Those are awesome pedals, so adjustable. I wish they still made them with the interchangeable cams.
__________________
"... As war machine, crushes their balls, God have mercy..."
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-17-2018, 04:29 AM
bud7h4 bud7h4 is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 722
Default Re: Anyone switch from longboards to short boards?

I've always been curious what Axis and Trick short boards feel like, just haven't had a chance to try them. Regarding control, I think many people think the sweet spot on longboards is further back than it actually is, and the pedals will fight you when trying to do quick patterns if you're too far back to control the momentum.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-17-2018, 04:31 AM
larryace's Avatar
larryace larryace is offline
"Uncle Larry"
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: In beautiful Bucks County, PA
Posts: 19,800
Default Re: Anyone switch from longboards to short boards?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Watso View Post
Yea man, I started out on long boards and they're much easier to use. It's just less struggle.

Went to short boards and feel like there's more maneuverability it's just a bit more work.

Honestly though, I like a quality body-board over any stand up surf. Charging down the wave headfirst is it's own thrill.
This is precisely why I love you.

I almost don't want to meet you so it doesn't spoil the illusion.

Do you still have the BB? How's it treating you?
__________________
Sucking all the fun right out of life...
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-17-2018, 03:13 PM
AzHeat's Avatar
AzHeat AzHeat is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Gilbert, AZ
Posts: 1,154
Default Re: Anyone switch from longboards to short boards?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggae_Mangle View Post
Yeah, I feel I'm doing something wrong when I have to adjust my foot position in order to play faster, slower, etc. Thanks for confirming that aspect to me.

I wish I didn't sell my Falcons, but I needed the money. If this whole thing goes south, I'll try and pick up another pair. Those are awesome pedals, so adjustable. I wish they still made them with the interchangeable cams.
The older Falcons still come up used quite often. That may be way cheaper than swapping footboards on the Trick.The search for the right pedal is pretty annoying. A new one seems to be just the ticket at first. You use them for a while and then start thinking....Then continues the madness. At least you know what did work before. :)
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 06-18-2018, 09:43 PM
Reggae_Mangle's Avatar
Reggae_Mangle Reggae_Mangle is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Away in Singapore
Posts: 918
Default Re: Anyone switch from longboards to short boards?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzHeat View Post
The older Falcons still come up used quite often. That may be way cheaper than swapping footboards on the Trick.The search for the right pedal is pretty annoying. A new one seems to be just the ticket at first. You use them for a while and then start thinking....Then continues the madness. At least you know what did work before. :)
Unfortunately, they still don't come too cheaply. I saw one set on eBay and the price was about $249 and they were asking for $100 shipping to SG. The Trick boards were $119 each and with shipping worked out cheaper.

I like the Tricks, the compression spring technology doesn't work for everyone, but I used to be able to get a nice bouncing action out of it on faster sections. Kind of like the Cobra Coil on the Iron Cobras, methinks. A lot of people hate them, but they still make them with it because obviously a fair amount of people like the faster return of the board.

Just hoping that adjusting to shortboards doesn't take a year or something like that. I have a few projects I'm playing in other than my own and I'd hate to let everybody down.

Hah, I had a crazy idea. Why not one board long and the other board short? That might be interesting!
__________________
"... As war machine, crushes their balls, God have mercy..."
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-18-2018, 10:03 PM
Dr_Watso's Avatar
Dr_Watso Dr_Watso is online now
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 5,974
Default Re: Anyone switch from longboards to short boards?

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
This is precisely why I love you.

I almost don't want to meet you so it doesn't spoil the illusion.

Do you still have the BB? How's it treating you?
Love u too, snookums.

As much as I wanted to love the die cast bronze hoops, I did end up swapping em in for the flanges (which you also gave me!)... Just a sound thing... Other than that, it's my daily driver and studio snare.

The illusion WILL be broken. It's one of my goals to share a few beers with Uncle Larry. I might even let you have your own beer after we share a few.
__________________
"I always wanted to be remembered for; being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn." - Lemmy
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 11:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com