DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Drums

Drums All about Drums and Drum Kits

Old 06-14-2018, 06:34 AM
Silver Member

Default Trick VMT Pub Kick

This looks like a great little bass drum for small gigs where volume isn't king.

Here's a video demonstrating what it sounds like. What do you guys think?

https://www.facebook.com/Trick.Drums...5733746894877/

I don't think it could replace a real bass drum, but for a small gig or busking, I think this could be pretty handy.
Old 06-14-2018, 07:23 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Trick VMT Pub Kick

I dunno. Shallow single-headed bass drums just sound really flat sometimes. I honestly don't think you need a bass drum that thin because by the time you've set up a crash/ride cymbal, you still need the additional sixteen inches or so in front of you, so you can afford to have a deeper bass drum with a front head that gets closer to the correct sound. I'm thinking I'd rather go with something like a Pearl Midtown with a 14x16 bass drum if you needed to go super small.

I wasn't impressed with the Taye GoKit either, even though it had a double-headed bass drum, the lack of depth really made a 'flap' sound.

Is a Ludwig Downbeat configuration really that big? I mean, 12/14/20 is pretty small too.
Old 06-14-2018, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
I dunno. Shallow single-headed bass drums just sound really flat sometimes.
What is your opinion on deeper single head bass drums? Like a 22 or 24 by 14? My favorite bass drum sound ever is off of the Live at Fillmore East band of gypsys album that buddy miles played on with Hendrix, and I'm pretty sure he used a single headed rogers kick. It has so much clarity and attack and it's a really full well rounded bass drum recording. I really want to recreate that sound but I don't really know where to start, and I'd like to experiment and take a single headed bass drum out to a gig one day but I don't want to sound bad either because it is uncharted territory for me. I think a big part of the sound off of the recording I'm talking about has to do with the mics and eq and mixing of the drum but I don't know how I would even mic it because I'm so used to using a resonant head. Basically no one uses single headed bass drums anymore, but like I said the bass drum off of that recording sounds the best imo.

Sorry to rant, I've just been thinking about this for a long time and I think I need help with it
Old 06-14-2018, 01:33 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamsbclontz View Post
What is your opinion on deeper single head bass drums? Like a 22 or 24 by 14? My favorite bass drum sound ever is off of the Live at Fillmore East band of gypsys album that buddy miles played on with Hendrix, and I'm pretty sure he used a single headed rogers kick. It has so much clarity and attack and it's a really full well rounded bass drum recording. I really want to recreate that sound but I don't really know where to start, and I'd like to experiment and take a single headed bass drum out to a gig one day but I don't want to sound bad either because it is uncharted territory for me. I think a big part of the sound off of the recording I'm talking about has to do with the mics and eq and mixing of the drum but I don't know how I would even mic it because I'm so used to using a resonant head. Basically no one uses single headed bass drums anymore, but like I said the bass drum off of that recording sounds the best imo.

Sorry to rant, I've just been thinking about this for a long time and I think I need help with it
Well, I hate to break it to you, but every time you’ve heard a recording or gone to a concert with a great bass drum sound, you’ve been hearing single-headed kicks. Once you port a front head and stick a mic in there with padding, you’re hearing just the batter head. Everything else is all mic placement and EQ at the mixer. If you’re being mic’ed, a single-headed regular sized bass drum let’s you experiment easily where the mic can go. And it’s relatively simple to do. Considering Buddy Miles, it was probably just some coated Ambassador with a pillow in the drum. Maybe a mic stand base on top of the pillow to keep it from moving. Position the mic around to find the sweet spot and boom! There it is!

Of course, there are exceptions, like with Buddy or Bonham, but for all modern pop recordings from the 60s to now, it’s most likely a single-headed bass drum.
Old 06-14-2018, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Well, I hate to break it to you, but every time you’ve heard a recording or gone to a concert with a great bass drum sound, you’ve been hearing single-headed kicks. Once you port a front head and stick a mic in there with padding, you’re hearing just the batter head. Everything else is all mic placement and EQ at the mixer. If you’re being mic’ed, a single-headed regular sized bass drum let’s you experiment easily where the mic can go. And it’s relatively simple to do. Considering Buddy Miles, it was probably just some coated Ambassador with a pillow in the drum. Maybe a mic stand base on top of the pillow to keep it from moving. Position the mic around to find the sweet spot and boom! There it is!

Of course, there are exceptions, like with Buddy or Bonham, but for all modern pop recordings from the 60s to now, it’s most likely a single-headed bass drum.
Because the beta 52 or whatever mic they use in the port hole is capturing more of the batter head than anything else? That makes a lot of sense, but what's the point then of having a resonant head at all? And how would I create that sound I'm talking about? Just use a wooden beater and a ambassador batter and go for the most attack possible?

I've been playing drums for 12 years, and I love my snare tuning and my tom tuning, but I still have trouble with my bass drums. I think it's because when you mic the kick it sounds so much different than what you hear yourself, imo anyway
Old 06-14-2018, 02:30 PM

Sorry to hijack the thread. I just think in theory that a single headed bass drum with the right head on it can give a really nice short note, with a lot of punch and ability to cut through the mix. And that's probably not what a lot of people would expect to hear when you pull out a little bass drum like that. But it's definitely a very specific sound, and I would test it out before you buy to make sure it's what you'd like
Old 06-14-2018, 04:12 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Because the beta 52 or whatever mic they use in the port hole is capturing more of the batter head than anything else? That makes a lot of sense, but what's the point then of having a resonant head at all? And how would I create that sound I'm talking about? Just use a wooden beater and a ambassador batter and go for the most attack possible?

I've been playing drums for 12 years, and I love my snare tuning and my tom tuning, but I still have trouble with my bass drums. I think it's because when you mic the kick it sounds so much different than what you hear yourself, imo anyway
True. To hear what you hear on recordings, you’d have to stick your head inside the bass drum. Snares and toms sound close because your ears are sort of in the same position, but bass drums get mics stuck inside which is unnatural, but everybody bought it ;)
Old 06-14-2018, 04:47 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
I dunno. Shallow single-headed bass drums just sound really flat sometimes. I honestly don't think you need a bass drum that thin because by the time you've set up a crash/ride cymbal, you still need the additional sixteen inches or so in front of you, so you can afford to have a deeper bass drum with a front head that gets closer to the correct sound. I'm thinking I'd rather go with something like a Pearl Midtown with a 14x16 bass drum if you needed to go super small.

I wasn't impressed with the Taye GoKit either, even though it had a double-headed bass drum, the lack of depth really made a 'flap' sound.

Is a Ludwig Downbeat configuration really that big? I mean, 12/14/20 is pretty small too.
I'm more interested in replacing the 12" kick on my e-drumkit really. Those mesh heads really feel unnatural and I would love to mount a trigger and play this instead.

But it would be great to gig with something like this as well: I don't have a car, so loading in my 22" Gretsch bass drum isn't really feasible.

I also think something like this would be a cool way to play with single pedals at some of the jampads out here in SG, where you only get a single bass drum.

Of course, tuning issues, feel issues and the lack of depth of the pub kick would probably mess up things badly.

I don't follow you on needing 16 extra inches of space in front though. Couldn't you mount the crash and a tom on the same stand?

Quote:

Like Bo_Eder was saying, a lot of it has to do with the micing and processing of the sound.

If you have a recording space, try different micing techniques as well as muffling. Also different mics if you have access to them. Any idea what was used on that Hendrix record?

Quote:
Sorry to hijack the thread. I just think in theory that a single headed bass drum with the right head on it can give a really nice short note, with a lot of punch and ability to cut through the mix. And that's probably not what a lot of people would expect to hear when you pull out a little bass drum like that. But it's definitely a very specific sound, and I would test it out before you buy to make sure it's what you'd like
Unfortunately, no way to try out the Trick. They aren't in many stores, just came out in fact.
Old 06-14-2018, 04:57 PM
Silver Member

Quote:

That is a killer drum sound on that recording, Buddy just killing it and singing his ass off too!!
Old 06-14-2018, 05:30 PM
Platinum Member

To the OP:

Maybe. I think I'd rather just play my 20" kick quieter, and possibly turn my DW drum beater to the felt side as opposed to the plastic side. I'm getting so used to playing quieter venues with the band I'm playing with, 7A drum sticks are starting to feel big to me whenever I play at church (I usually gig with hot rods, brushes, or Vic Firth AJ5's). I've learned how to play my kick rather quietly if needed. I've tried smaller kits before with smaller drums, and I'm never happy with them even though I'm always attracted to the idea.

I think recording that drum that close to the wall causes a lot more depth due to the bounce-back. It may make it sound bigger than it really is (sort of like playing a kit behind a drum shield with no ear protection).

All in all, I think it's a good idea that may work well for some; however, I don't think that it's for me. Even still, I'm glad you shared it! It looks interesting. :)
Old 06-14-2018, 05:50 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Once you port a front head and stick a mic in there with padding, you’re hearing just the batter head.
Although I understand the point you're illustrating, I think that's a bit disengenious. I can tell a difference between my internal mounted mic with a head on or off, port or no. There's also something you get from having a diaphram at the porthole that you don't get from a single head irrespective of mic placement. Come to think of it, I notice more of a difference between a single head vs otherwise in a live one mic situation because there are just so many variables to a recording.
Old 06-14-2018, 10:08 PM
Platinum Member

There are several things like this out. They're not really replacements, but I'm a fan, filling in that room between a cajon and a bop size kit with whatever works for a situation.
Old 06-14-2018, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calan View Post
Although I understand the point you're illustrating, I think that's a bit disengenious. I can tell a difference between my internal mounted mic with a head on or off, port or no. There's also something you get from having a diaphram at the porthole that you don't get from a single head irrespective of mic placement. Come to think of it, I notice more of a difference between a single head vs otherwise in a live one mic situation because there are just so many variables to a recording.
I think the main difference you can actually notice is the length of the note. While bo is probably right about 90% of the sound you hear being the batter head with a ported kick, the sound waves still bounce off of each the reso and batter head. So the note is longer, and the 2nd half of the note is probably a lot of the reso head. With a single head, the sound has no where to go but out, so it's shorter. At least I imagine that's what's happening?
Old 06-14-2018, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggae_Mangle View Post
Any idea what was used on that Hendrix record?
http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/a...1&d=1529008037

I think it's this crazy looking rogers kit. I think the bass drum is a 20" and pretty shallow too, so that drum you're looking at might sound close to this actually. But I think you and bo are right, mic placement and recording and mixing are probably key. Plus I bet the album has been remastered a lot
Attached Images

Old 06-14-2018, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Boogie View Post
That is a killer drum sound on that recording, Buddy just killing it and singing his ass off too!!
Yea maybe I need to stop worrying about gear and just learn how to play like him
Old 06-14-2018, 11:17 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I'm more interested in replacing the 12" kick on my e-drumkit really. Those mesh heads really feel unnatural and I would love to mount a trigger and play this instead.

But it would be great to gig with something like this as well: I don't have a car, so loading in my 22" Gretsch bass drum isn't really feasible.

I also think something like this would be a cool way to play with single pedals at some of the jampads out here in SG, where you only get a single bass drum.

Of course, tuning issues, feel issues and the lack of depth of the pub kick would probably mess up things badly.

I don't follow you on needing 16 extra inches of space in front though. Couldn't you mount the crash and a tom on the same stand?

Like Bo_Eder was saying, a lot of it has to do with the micing and processing of the sound.

If you have a recording space, try different micing techniques as well as muffling. Also different mics if you have access to them. Any idea what was used on that Hendrix record?

Unfortunately, no way to try out the Trick. They aren't in many stores, just came out in fact.
What I meant is the bass drum is super shallow. When you add a cymbal, you still take up space forward of the shallow bass drum. That’s why you can still use a regular bass drum - you still need the space.
Old 06-14-2018, 11:30 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:

Kid you not I was just listening to this last night. Weird world. I think that's the only "BOG" "album" that was ever available, right?

Buddy Miles, man... Buddy Miles.
Old 06-15-2018, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Watso View Post
Kid you not I was just listening to this last night. Weird world. I think that's the only "BOG" "album" that was ever available, right?

Buddy Miles, man... Buddy Miles.
I read somewhere that they only played together for about 3 months, so that was probably the only album they had time to release. Crazy stuff
Old 06-15-2018, 06:20 AM

Quote:
...Position the mic around to find the sweet spot and boom! There it is!
This can be another thread Topic. Same holds true for the studio, recording speakers.
Mic'ing positions on speakers will produce different results. Same for drum heads. There is a simple technique using a drum stick starting at the outer edge towards the center, then back towards the outer edge. There is a sweet-spot where it sounds best (to you). Once heard (and visually seeing where that position is) Then taking the stick adjacent, or a along side the mic's body in which the stick would point directly to it. Point the mic there! Half that battle is already won, the other half is tweaking and dialing in.
Old 06-15-2018, 06:28 AM

Quote:
I have seen this kit, and just short of playing it in the 90's before the original owner of CME purchased it off my good friend that owned a music store. It was in for a week before the sale but was never set up.
Old 06-15-2018, 08:19 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by calan View Post
Perhaps I am being a bit disingenuous - but you said it yourself, there are so many different factors in recording a drum, and then in a recording situation it's hard to know what was going on.

Even looking at that picture of Buddy Miles, how do we even know that was the kit he used for the record? It could've been a kit already in the studio, or they could've rented one out - cartage is not a new idea, and even back then, producers and engineers didn't have carte blanche to just experiment with the drums before recording. Time equals money so they were producing albums as fast as they could with the least amount of money spent. So because of this realization, I question whether or not that is the kit we're hearing on this Buddy Miles recording.

One recording situation I found myself in was with an engineer who insisted I take off my ported front head, and he proceeded to tape a packing blanket to the shell, and then he stretched the blanket out about six more feet. He put one mic inside the bass drum, and another one at the end of the blanket tunnel. I honestly couldn't hear any difference to what he was doing, but he sure seemed happy when he heard it.

So all situations are different, yes. But I still say a majority of pop recordings involved only one head and some padding. Whether or not I could tell what sounds better or not, that really isn't up to me when I'm the hired gun, so I'm not presenting any musical arguments while in the process of helping someone get a cool drum track.

I recall an old Craig Krampf interview where he said of one of his favorite Rogers 14x24 bass drums (that is recorded single-headed), "the mic sounded great on the right side of the drum. It didn't sound so great when we put the mic on the left side. Figure that one, eh?
Old 06-15-2018, 09:28 AM

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/a...1&d=1529047396

I finally found a decent picture of the bass drum and mic setup. I'm pretty sure this is a picture from when the album was recorded live, so what you hear is from this picture (I think). It looks like just one mic and a blanket with a single head bass. But I'm not sure if that's another bass drum mic or not, it's a little too blurry to tell. Any thoughts?
Attached Images

Old 06-15-2018, 12:50 PM

Quote:
http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/a...1&d=1529047396

I finally found a decent picture of the bass drum and mic setup. I'm pretty sure this is a picture from when the album was recorded live, so what you hear is from this picture (I think). It looks like just one mic and a blanket with a single head bass. But I'm not sure if that's another bass drum mic or not, it's a little too blurry to tell. Any thoughts?
T h e r e are two . .
Old 06-15-2018, 07:01 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimzo View Post
T h e r e are two . .
OMG!

Now factor in the live situation and any number of various settings at the console for TWO microphones, multiply that by all the variables given at any given time in the universe and it could be ANY number of settings to have gotten that sound ;)
Old 06-15-2018, 07:31 PM
Silver Member

I'm pretty sure you could get close to the sound, maybe not exact, but part of the trick is to listen to it in a mix rather than in isolation. A lot of stuff goes into fitting all the instruments into a recording. An instrument that may sound good in isolation won't necessarily sound good on the recording unless you chop out a lot of frequencies, tame resonance, compress, etc.

I'm seriously sick of the mesh drum pad on my TD-30K. Not only is the bounce all funny, there's something odd about the KD-120 kickpad design. The "hoop" where you're supposed to connect the pedal is so high that I can barely get any drum pedals to fit on there without using some kind of height adjuster, and that completely ruins my sitting height, which complicates other things.

I'll pick up one of these and do a review when I get it. 299 clams, so if it's a total disaster, I'm pretty sure I can get most of my money back if I have to get rid of it in a hurry.

Then again, maybe not. Not sure anybody would want such a shallow drum if it doesn't sound good.
Old 06-15-2018, 07:50 PM
Platinum Member

Two mics could simply mean one for house and one for recording.
Old 06-15-2018, 08:13 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I'm pretty sure you could get close to the sound, maybe not exact, but part of the trick is to listen to it in a mix rather than in isolation. A lot of stuff goes into fitting all the instruments into a recording. An instrument that may sound good in isolation won't necessarily sound good on the recording unless you chop out a lot of frequencies, tame resonance, compress, etc.

I'm seriously sick of the mesh drum pad on my TD-30K. Not only is the bounce all funny, there's something odd about the KD-120 kickpad design. The "hoop" where you're supposed to connect the pedal is so high that I can barely get any drum pedals to fit on there without using some kind of height adjuster, and that completely ruins my sitting height, which complicates other things.

I'll pick up one of these and do a review when I get it. 299 clams, so if it's a total disaster, I'm pretty sure I can get most of my money back if I have to get rid of it in a hurry.

Then again, maybe not. Not sure anybody would want such a shallow drum if it doesn't sound good.
I think for another $50 you could get a Pearl Midtown, use that as your bass drum, and if it doesn't work out, you have a totally small kit you could use instead. Or you could probably find an old off-brand 14x22 used you could use for a lot less.

I know when I was actively mixing bands, after I got the mix tweaked just right, if I solo'ed any one of the channels, sometimes they'd sound horrendous by themselves. I know bass drums ended up being much more mid-rangey than expected to get them to cut through the band. Having subs helps, but that's never what the musicians on stage hear.
Old 06-15-2018, 08:31 PM
Platinum Member

There are a lot of factors involved.

Just not a priority right now, but based on sound I've been thinking about one of these things. https://www.footdrums.com/drum-kits/
Old 06-15-2018, 10:04 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odd-Arne Oseberg View Post
There are a lot of factors involved.

Just not a priority right now, but based on sound I've been thinking about one of these things. https://www.footdrums.com/drum-kits/
They're pretty lil suckers! Sure would love on for my condo. If you make a move, let us know what you think...

Stomp drum lol
Old 06-16-2018, 12:11 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Boogie View Post
They're pretty lil suckers! Sure would love on for my condo. If you make a move, let us know what you think...

Stomp drum lol
It's gonna be a while, as it's all about saving up for those USA Cutoms now.

If the recording is true, then having that Sojourner kit and even some more sizes would be a nice option to have on the shelf to pick and choose from.
Old 06-16-2018, 01:10 AM

Admittedly not high quality sound on the video but at first I got up to see who was at the door.

"Knock knock."
"Who's there"
Old 06-16-2018, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odd-Arne Oseberg View Post
I was just going to mention the Farmer Footdrums. They've got a good comparison of three different styles of drum like the Pub Kick (though one has a resonant head, too): https://youtu.be/9-G7WnUigoo

This is also a cool video of one of the Farmer bass drums in a small kit: https://youtu.be/eb4Saij4IwU
Old 06-16-2018, 06:28 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
I think for another $50 you could get a Pearl Midtown, use that as your bass drum, and if it doesn't work out, you have a totally small kit you could use instead. Or you could probably find an old off-brand 14x22 used you could use for a lot less.

I know when I was actively mixing bands, after I got the mix tweaked just right, if I solo'ed any one of the channels, sometimes they'd sound horrendous by themselves. I know bass drums ended up being much more mid-rangey than expected to get them to cut through the band. Having subs helps, but that's never what the musicians on stage hear.
I tried out those mini kits, liked them quite a bit. But with a full-size drum-kit, my e-kit and all the other gear I have, there's just no space for one more kit, no matter how small.

This works out quite a lot cheaper than a regular Roland pad, so if it works out on the e-kit, I'll have saved quite a bundle anyway.
Old 06-16-2018, 06:29 AM
Silver Member

Those Farmer Drums look really cool, got a very high-end vibe about them.
Old 06-16-2018, 12:04 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Those Farmer Drums look really cool, got a very high-end vibe about them.
Yeah.

Don't remember who, but someone on the forum got a 20x8 BD, I think, and raved about it. That's how I found out about them.

I really like to hear some clips with more distant micing to hear what the toms can actually do.
Old 06-17-2018, 01:57 AM

If the reso head is off does it really matter how deep the drum is? Does it project more with a deeper shell?
Old 06-18-2018, 09:37 PM
Silver Member

I'm not sure, but in connection with Bo's experience with the studio guy who made a blanket tunnel, I recall that Nirvana's Nevermind used a similar technique (iirc). Not blankets, but they made a tunnel out of several bass drum shells and set the mic somewhere along the length of it.

Pretty cool, I guess the sound does project a lot further if you have a longer shell. I wonder what it would be like if the tunnel was elongated and at the same time widened, sort of like a horn. I can imagine it would be like the boom of doom!