Tama Starclassics

Toolate

Platinum Member
Sorry to add another drum kit review thread but this is such a great looking kit. 24 bass drum and huge toms in a finish I have never seen..

Are these drums worth it? What actually is the "sound focus ring"? Seems like a lot for a used shell pack to me.

Lots of Tama players out there but little love for them here- not that they are hated or whatever but little representation compare to others (Mapex which I have and really like). THis is a huge company and is obviously successful so they must know what they are doing. Anyone have 10 kits and the insight to say "dont buy those, buy this.."?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TAMA-STARCL...aultDomain_0&hash=item4ab23635d7#ht_500wt_689

I played a set of Starclassic Maples for something like 12 years. I just recently changed to DW within the last year. I liked mine a lot. It was just time for a change. The ones in the ad are Japan made Starclassics So they are more than likely 2 + years old. I definitely prefer those to the ones made in China. Lots of companies have a sound focus ring of some sort. It is supposed to make them more punchy. As for the value, they are in a somewhat unique configuration. The seller is definitely in the ball park. I'd say he is somewhere in the middle for value. I've seen 4 piece kits go for from 900-1200. But those are standard 2 toms, 1 FT, 1BD. I'd say worth it.

Don't know much about them but funny thing you posted this. I saw one like this today in a local music store except it was sparkle red but looked huge. It was atleast a 24" BD and had what looked like a 13 and 15" rack toms if there is such a thing and an 18" ft. It;s used I believe but looks very nice. they are asking $1100 for it also.

I also own a Mapex (cue twilight zone music : )

The re-inforcement rings are what you find on most high end drums (ie dw collectors, vintage luddies) and I have yet to hear one that sounded bad. I hope to own a kit like this someday and if I can sell my kit I would definetly look into it.

The only thing I am unsure about is the rack tom mounts, I hated the ones on the Catalina Maples I had but these seem much more solid and does not seem to hang from the lug nuts like the cats did. I may go back there later this week and try em out.

If you can snag it for a price close to the current bid go for it. I have two Starclassics without rerings, my avatar which is Maple with 20x18, 12x9 and 14x12 and one B/B 24x18, 10x6 1/2, 12x7 and 16x14. I use them more than any other kit in my collection and I bought them for their sound and hardware (hoops, lugs, mounts and spurs). If I could pick up that kit without having to go through the ensuing divorce I would. Don't be afraid of the Hyper-Drive rack tom either. Mine sound fantastic on the B/B kit. Tuning and heads will be the deciding factor on the sound of it.

My Starclassic Bubinga Elites I think are from the same era and I love them. The construction is top notch (well, they are the top of the line) and you can't go wrong with those. My bubingas do not have the re-rings but I don't think you need them since bubinga is pretty hard to begin with. However, and this is what I've dealt with, is that since it's a custom color, and custom built with the re-rings, adding drums to it will just be financially difficult. Mine is a custom color so my dealer told me that if I wanted to add another bass drum, for example, I'd pay just about full MSRP for it and then have to wait for six months. And then, you notice how the logo is painted onto the shell? I don;t think Tama does that anymore, either. They've gone back to an actual badge that's attached to the shell.

But if you don't want to add to it, those are pretty killer sizes already. You might not need to.

Don't know who this seller is (Southaven is a suburb of Memphis) but they always seem to have cool gear for sale ...

I would love to see these in person

Great drums.

I think the price listed is fair.

Tama changes out the colors offered in the Starclassic line often, so numerous colors have come and gone over the years.

However, and this is what I've dealt with, is that since it's a custom color, and custom built with the re-rings, adding drums to it will just be financially difficult. Mine is a custom color so my dealer told me that if I wanted to add another bass drum, for example, I'd pay just about full MSRP for it and then have to wait for six months.

Very true. Tama likes their drums and they charge a hefty price for custom orders. Make sure you are ok with a 1 up 2 down in those sizes. Like I stated earlier I would buy them but I would lose half of my assets. Pre-nup kids. Iron clad pre-nup. At least she never sees all of the cymbals. She would kill me. She checks the drum room often and notices when I get a new case it usually means there is a shiny drum inside it.

Very true. Tama likes their drums and they charge a hefty price for custom orders. Make sure you are ok with a 1 up 2 down in those sizes. Like I stated earlier I would buy them but I would lose half of my assets. Pre-nup kids. Iron clad pre-nup. At least she never sees all of the cymbals. She would kill me. She checks the drum room often and notices when I get a new case it usually means there is a shiny drum inside it.

Nice to see you guys are in it for the love ;)

Nice to see you guys are in it for the love ;)

Good thing is when I am in the "doghouse" it is a house. Full of drums. It's like sending a kid to the playground for detention. Same for her though. "Doghouse" is the mall and downtown antique stores. But, at the end of the day we have dinner and all is well.

I am not buying that kit because I want to get better before jumping in that deep.

I like the sizes though and the finish was fine with me. Thanks for the opinions on finishes and sizes and starclassics in general. Its interesting to me that the more I learn about Tama, the more I feel like they are overpriced (new). I really like my Rockstar kit (5 yr old) but thats all the experience I have with the brand. Seems like others feel the same way.

Drum marketplace is very competitive I guess.

I scored a 6 piece Starclassic kit for 500 bucks. Deals can be had if you are patient.
That's how much you paid for your kit? Wow, your a bargain hunter indeed! If you ever decide to flip them I think your going to make out OK.

It may not be maple, but my birch Starclassic kit was the best decision I've made. Go for it.

Attachments

• 2011-11-28 18.55.08.jpg
    2011-11-28 18.55.08.jpg
    537.3 KB · Views: 1,015
I picked up a Birch/Bubinga kit.. 8/10/12/16 & 22 bass.. 2 up 2 down. Picked it up locally on eBay for a grand. Was in incredible shape. Literally like new. Brand new it would have been double the price. Got the chance to upgrade from my swingstars on the cheap! Sold my old drums for $300.. So it was a kit I got at a deal I simply could not pass up. The Starclassic line is simply amazing.

I happen to have two starclassic level snares too. The Mike Portnoy maple & Stewart Copeland brass. What can I say.. I love Tama!

The deals are out there. If you're looking for a good higher end set, look used. Be patient and smart and believe me, it'll work out!

I really like my "Japan made" Tama Bubinga drums. Neither maple or birch, but they sound incredible. I bought these about three years ago.

DSC_0278-1.jpg

Dennis

I really like my "Japan made" Tama Bubinga drums. Neither maple or birch, but they sound incredible. I bought these about three years ago.

DSC_0278-1.jpg

Dennis
They are pretty buddy! Great drums. Used to be my first choice in drums.

I am not buying that kit because I want to get better before jumping in that deep.

I like the sizes though and the finish was fine with me. Thanks for the opinions on finishes and sizes and starclassics in general. Its interesting to me that the more I learn about Tama, the more I feel like they are overpriced (new). I really like my Rockstar kit (5 yr old) but thats all the experience I have with the brand. Seems like others feel the same way.

Drum marketplace is very competitive I guess.

I have to dissagree about Tama being overpriced.They sound great,tune easily,have great build quality,and some of the best hardware on the planet.They have also been quite innovative as compared to other drum companys.

Tama is and continues be one of the industry leaders.

Steve B

I have to dissagree about Tama being overpriced.They sound great,tune easily,have great build quality,and some of the best hardware on the planet.They have also been quite innovative as compared to other drum companys.

Tama is and continues be one of the industry leaders.

Steve B
I will say the Tama B/B are at a good price point, but the Bubinga Elite that my buddy got is too expensive. Over 6 thousand for a six piece kit, 8, 10, 12, 14,16, 20 x 18. They are in the same catagory to me as the DW Collector kits are as far as too much for what you get. They are both nice, but not that nice. :)

Back