Name the Foo drummer

MikeM

Platinum Member
I remember reading years ago that Dave Grohl usually plays drums on one or two songs on each Foo Fighters record but they don't ever say anything in the credits. Now since they have a new record out, I've been listening for the last couple days finding myself trying to pick out his tracks.

Here's my guesses:

Dear Rosemary
I Should Have Known

It's kind of hard to tell. Any other guesses by forum Foo fans?

Oh my gosh...my friend and I had this same conversation regarding There is Nothing Left to Lose and One By One when they came out. I've listened to the new album several hundred times, but haven't listened for which drummer is which. I'll give it another couple spins and get back to this thread...

Dave and Taylor play very much alike, I don't even want to try this. But I guess I will, since it's an excuse to listen to that album AGAIN. =)

I was pretty luke-warm on this record at first, but it's grown on me to where I'm going to hit several hundred listens within the next week.

I think it's more difficult this time to pick them apart, partly because as time goes on, Taylor can sound almost as much like Dave as he wants to, but also because plenty of Taylor has rubbed off on Dave.

It did have to grow on me at first...it's getting to the point where I make myself listen to something else.

I think I'm in agreement with Dear Rosemary. Still scanning for the second one.

I remember reading years ago that Dave Grohl usually plays drums on one or two songs on each Foo Fighters record but they don't ever say anything in the credits. Now since they have a new record out, I've been listening for the last couple days finding myself trying to pick out his tracks.

Here's my guesses:

Dear Rosemary
I Should Have Known

It's kind of hard to tell. Any other guesses by forum Foo fans?

Taylor did them both for sure. On Twitter, or the Foo Fighters YFrog. There's a video of Taylor recording Dear Rosemary, it's a 30 second clip.
Taylor definetely did I Should Have Known because it's got a few of his usual fills.
Dave's not played on a Foo Fighters album since Nothing Left To Lose. He did Learn To Fly, Breakout and Stacked Actors for sure. Taylors by far more technical.

Don't they sometimes both do a take and then they're not sure whose gets used in the end? That would make more sense anyway.

Taylor did them both for sure. On Twitter, or the Foo Fighters YFrog. There's a video of Taylor recording Dear Rosemary, it's a 30 second clip.
Taylor definetely did I Should Have Known because it's got a few of his usual fills.
Dave's not played on a Foo Fighters album since Nothing Left To Lose. He did Learn To Fly, Breakout and Stacked Actors for sure. Taylors by far more technical.
I don't know how you know "for sure" about any of the statements you made. Do you have anything to back them up with, like interviews or anything? Can you post any links?

I understand that Taylor's got a more technical background than Dave, but he's never been able to sound as relaxed and still be nuts on like Dave, either. He's usually so tense that a Dave track will leap out at you in comparison. But I suppose even Taylor has his moments where he settles down.

Here's Taylor playing Dear Rosemary. It doesn't sound like the recorded version because it has that characteristic Taylor push. But like I said, maybe it is him on the recorded version just having a relaxed day.

I don't know how you know "for sure" about any of the statements you made. Do you have anything to back them up with, like interviews or anything? Can you post any links?

I understand that Taylor's got a more technical background than Dave, but he's never been able to sound as relaxed and still be nuts on like Dave, either. He's usually so tense that a Dave track will leap out at you in comparison. But I suppose even Taylor has his moments where he settles down.

Here's Taylor playing Dear Rosemary. It doesn't sound like the recorded version because it has that characteristic Taylor push. But like I said, maybe it is him on the recorded version just having a relaxed day.

http://yfrog.com/n7xv8z

There's the link, sounds like it to me.

to me Taylor always sounds like he is driving the bus....right on top of the beat......a bit like Stewart Coepland......and Dave usually sits on the back end of the beat more like a Bonham feel ......but ironically at Wembley when playing "Rock N Roll" with Page and Jones he sounded very pushy.....Im sure that was a rush of adrenaline...and it is a driving groove.....but Bonham even let that groove sit back

to me Taylor always sounds like he is driving the bus....right on top of the beat......a bit like Stewart Coepland......and Dave usually sits on the back end of the beat more like a Bonham feel ......but ironically at Wembley when playing "Rock N Roll" with Page and Jones he sounded very pushy.....Im sure that was a rush of adrenaline...and it is a driving groove.....but Bonham even let that groove sit back
It's interesting you say that because that about how I see it too. I also watched the Wembly video and noted how Dave was a bit tense on the intro, if not the whole rest of the song.

My take on Dave's playing is that while he's more behind the beat than Taylor, who definitely sits squarely on top of that sucker, he's also fairly rigid and unshakable about it - which is not very Bonham-esque. Grohl's nowhere near as fluid with time and relaxed as Bonham. But I guess you turn around and say that Bonham didn't have Grohl's consistency.

It's interesting you say that because that about how I see it too. I also watched the Wembly video and noted how Dave was a bit tense on the intro, if not the whole rest of the song.

My take on Dave's playing is that while he's more behind the beat than Taylor, who definitely sits squarely on top of that sucker, he's also fairly rigid and unshakable about it - which is not very Bonham-esque. Grohl's nowhere near as fluid with time and relaxed as Bonham. But I guess you turn around and say that Bonham didn't have Grohl's consistency.

I ofcourse would never compare Dave Grohl to John Bonham........simply saying he tends to lay on the back end of the beat as Bonham was known for......

My personal favorite drumming of Daves is on Songs For The Deaf...great rock drum record

haven't heard the rest... but Rope became one of my all time favorite songs ever ....the second time I heard it..its funny how Foo has to grow on you...sorry if this hs nothing to do with the thread question...

I ofcourse would never compare Dave Grohl to John Bonham........simply saying he tends to lay on the back end of the beat as Bonham was known for......

My personal favorite drumming of Daves is on Songs For The Deaf...great rock drum record
What's not to compare: they're both drummers, right? But I get your point.

Yeah, Songs For The Deaf is awesome. Have you heard him with Killing Joke? That one's amazing, too. He agreed to put drums to a whole albums' worth of material after it was all recorded (sans drums). Really cool. That one might be my favorite Dave recording.

Back