Advise on touring, please!

Funky Crêpe

Silver Member
Okay, I am going to jam with a band on thursday, they want to have me on as a drummer. Now, in a couple of weeks they are going to germany to do a few gigs, and I am in Ireland. Now i don;t really like their music, but they are a relatively successful band so what harm! (they play pink floyd jimi hendrix sort of stuff)

They are in their mid thirties and seem like real rockers! now, I have just turned 17. I have not been talking to them really, we just met, i don't think they even know if i am 17! My problem with going away with them is that they will probably want to be going out partying when they are not playing, and i'm 17, i can't! and the fact that i will of known them for about 2 weeks and i will then be going away with them.

My only real reason for going away with them is the fact that i may need this to get forward in the music business, it would help me get work you know?

Anyone have any similar experiences or advise??

Just remember the Beatles had trouble in Hamburg because George was only 17 and couldn't get a work visa.

Just remember the Beatles had trouble in Hamburg because George was only 17 and couldn't get a work visa.

One of the same points I was going to make.

When my nephew was 16 he went to England and France to play. The paperwork involved took about 6 months. As Gruntersdad pointed out, you need a work visa rather then a tourist visa. At the time in the states the work visa's for France only came out of the the San Fransisco, Chicago and DC embassies. On top of that, his work visa had to applied for in person by one of his parents since he was a minor. It involved a lot of paperwork on who would be the responsible gaurdian since his parents weren't with him, his health insurance should something happen to him, paying local income taxes as a minor, and . . . .My sister could tell more, but it involved a lot more then filling out a couple of forms.

With EU rules does any of this make any difference? If you can, go for it.

Of course that was before the UK and ireland joined the EU. These days i'm not sure but i don't think you need a visa if it's an EU country? You certainly don't need a visa for visiting but i'm pretty sure my sister didn't need a visa for taking a year to study in germany either. So work is probably similar.

I reckon you should definetly see if they're cool with you being 17, but go for it. It'll be a great experience and make you more confident for when you have to go live on your own which is coming up fast at 17.

Maybe try fit in somewhere that you are only 17 before you meet them (I'm guessing you've been contacting them through e-mail...?)

It's really not your fault that you're 17 and that they've booked a tour without a drummer. Discuss your concerns with them if and when they ask you to continue to play for the band

Just tell them your age. Or tell them you're T total. It will be a great experience for you and one you'll regret it if you pass it up. It doesn't matter if you hardly know them. There's no better way of getting to know people than touring with them!
But yes better to tell them your age as you never know if being 17 will create problems for you....playing in bars/clubs, etc.).
Good luck.

You'll need a full passport of your own. Although theoretically not necessary as you're an EU citizen, you won't get far without it. I agree with everyone else. Tell the band your age. That then becomes their problem to sort out. As long as everything checks out, I say go for it!

You don't seem to know much about their personalities , which is why you are concerned about the partying. But how much do you know about the tour itself?

1. How much of the expenses are covered? Will you have to cover a percentage or all of the hotel/travel expenses or is all that comped? Are they paying to fly your drums or will drums be provided at each venue?

2. Will you get an expense allowance or per diem to cover lunches, dry cleaning, etc.? Are dinners covered by the venues?

3. Since you are concerned about the partying - just ask. If they are a professional group, they probably will be too concerned about the music and tour to be out drinking until 4am.

4. Will you be rooming with another person, or does each person have their own hotel room? If you are sharing a room, request to be placed with someone who does not party.

5. Do you have a contract? You will want some guarantee of pay. A contract should also guarantee that they will fly you back home even if they should fire you. You do not want to be stuck in a foreign country with no ticket home.

Don't be afraid to ask these questions. They will most likely appreciate the fact that you are someone who takes care of the business end of things.

Jeff

You don't seem to know much about their personalities , which is why you are concerned about the partying. But how much do you know about the tour itself?

1. How much of the expenses are covered? Will you have to cover a percentage or all of the hotel/travel expenses or is all that comped? Are they paying to fly your drums or will drums be provided at each venue?

2. Will you get an expense allowance or per diem to cover lunches, dry cleaning, etc.? Are dinners covered by the venues?

3. Since you are concerned about the partying - just ask. If they are a professional group, they probably will be too concerned about the music and tour to be out drinking until 4am.

4. Will you be rooming with another person, or does each person have their own hotel room? If you are sharing a room, request to be placed with someone who does not party.

5. Do you have a contract? You will want some guarantee of pay. A contract should also guarantee that they will fly you back home even if they should fire you. You do not want to be stuck in a foreign country with no ticket home.

Don't be afraid to ask these questions. They will most likely appreciate the fact that you are someone who takes care of the business end of things.

Jeff

Yes, i am going to ask them al of these questions on thursday, i am saying that they will be partying because they are not a professional band, so i really just guessed that the trip wad really just a big piss up!
I don't know these people at all though, i may be completely wrong, i am just guessing. All will be known during the week, thanks for the replies, still, i even doubt it that they will want a minor touring with them givin that they wer'nt professional, and their songs are'nt that hard, it's pretty straight forward stuff a lot of drummers could play, thay could pick out many drummers nearer their own age. But, all in due course!

Jump In !! What do have to lose ? ..It would be an experience you'll never forget . Haven't been on the road extensively in 20 years (Strictly weekend drummer now..and I'm a Dad of a 12 yr old son).. With the exception of techology.GPS-Wi-Fi-Cell Phones-Bottled Water...ha ha!).I'm sure it hasn't changed much . I wouldn't hesitate for a minute .

DD

well, the guy rang me up yesterday and said to change the time we were to meet and jam, he said today at the recording studio, i said okay then. It was'nt hastle to change the day.

i left my house at half 6......I arrived there at half 7....nobody was there, i waited for 20mins (even though the meet up time was half 7)
I then rang him to ask where they were, he replied by saying "oh, we could'nt go because the studios were all booked up, it's on for tomorrow night".......I then said "why did'nt you tell me, blah blah blah".........he then just said "well it's on for tomorrow instead, okay? bye"

What a first impression no?? really what an ass, everything was set up and all, it was set up for me but they forgot to actually tell me!
and they call themselves professional, should you bother with bands like these??? did anyone else have a first time problem like this? Because the last time i checked, one of the most important thing with regards to being with a band, especially first impresions is to be on time and prepared.

well, the guy rang me up yesterday and said to change the time we were to meet and jam, he said today at the recording studio, i said okay then. It was'nt hastle to change the day.

i left my house at half 6......I arrived there at half 7....nobody was there, i waited for 20mins (even though the meet up time was half 7)
I then rang him to ask where they were, he replied by saying "oh, we could'nt go because the studios were all booked up, it's on for tomorrow night".......I then said "why did'nt you tell me, blah blah blah".........he then just said "well it's on for tomorrow instead, okay? bye"

What a first impression no?? really what an ass, everything was set up and all, it was set up for me but they forgot to actually tell me!
and they call themselves professional, should you bother with bands like these??? did anyone else have a first time problem like this? Because the last time i checked, one of the most important thing with regards to being with a band, especially first impresions is to be on time and prepared.

That's incredibly rude!! They should've let you know. I personally wouldn't bother dealing with them after that!

Maybe when they call you up tomorrow say .."Oh sorry I thought it was yesterday"? But no be professional about it (unlike them)!

Hmm, I'd be worried about whether it's on tomorrow either.

It sounds like they're complete timewasters who are trying to fob you off. I mean, he told you to meet at a studio that was already fully booked........? Doesn't make sense to me.

Ya man dont want to bash the band but they dont sound to serious about this if thats how they treat you and your time.By the way whats the band name ireland is small i may have heard of them.

Ya man dont want to bash the band but they dont sound to serious about this if thats how they treat you and your time.By the way whats the band name ireland is small i may have heard of them.

eh...i don't really want to bash around their name, whatever a band does that is wrong. And i hav'nt been face o face with them yet, but what stoney said was quite interesting....don;t show up tomorrow! but really, even though i have about 3 other bands on the horizon (who play music that i actually like) beggars can't be choosers...and at the moment, i am a begger!!!

but i will take what they did into serious consideration if they want me to join the band, at the moment i am really just going to jam with them for the sake of it, the experience. I doubt i will join up with them. So really i guess, i am actually wasting their time?? Ah well, what comes around goes around! well that puts touring out of the question! Now, time to focus on my jazzy soul band!

Sounds like your dealing with some flakes and some amateur dreamers perhaps to be perfectly blunt from my years of experience in this business. Pros don't conduct themselves in this manner. If they do they don't go for very long of having a legit pro run.

Enter with caution........and if they want you to cough up cash to cover any {or all} of your related expenses to play this or other gigs with them take a BIG pass on it is my advice.

thanks for the advise, I will go to play with them for the sake of it tonight, but that will be as far as it will go i'd say, mabye ask them if they know of any other bands! hehe

but i always thought it to be a bit strange that they put up drummer wanted signs in shops and stuff when they are semi-pro and thinking of touring......you would think that they would know of someone personally. ah well.

One thing...you said that you think that touring will help you get ahead in the industry, advance your career. Well, that can be true or false. If these guys have a bad reputation or are known to be unprofessional, being associated with them will actually hurt your career. Just putting that out there.

Back