DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 03-16-2009, 03:56 PM

Default First gig anxiety..

So my first gig is coming up soon and it's only now that I'm beginning to feel nervous.
In the real world, I'm pretty damn shy and quiet, usually in my own corner, despite my 6'5 height, so that doesn't help my situation here.

So not only is it my first gig, but I don't think I would be able to feel any more "out of place". I'm a mix, half Portuguese and half Haitian, which means I have a light brown tint to my skin, but it's still blatantly obvious. Thing is I'm in a Japanese band, the other 3 members are all Japanese and can speak it (Obviously), I can't.

So picture a tall, dark drummer, in a Metal band and add the Japanese into that and my band mates. You can see why it's slightly awkward for me.

Any tips on getting over that "First gig anxiety" feel?

P.S.: Crowd is also mainly Chinese.
Old 03-16-2009, 04:11 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: First gig anxiety..

This might sound a bit hokey.

Remember the old saying "picture everyone in the audience naked?" It worked for me. It was more scary and funny rather than calming. I started laughing hysterically when I did it because the audience was very small and lets just say some of them overindulged in food and drinks most of thier life apparently. Then I started picturing them jumping up and down and the thought of these women doing that just sent me over the edge.

I sat down at my kit and played and didn't think about playing too much. Honestly, I was laughing most of the show becuase the images that I had in my head were comming true minus the naked part.

After my first few gigs I began to feed off of the pre-gig jitters and learned to focus it on my playing.

Now, I don't know if it will work for you.. but it's worth a shot :-)
Old 03-16-2009, 04:19 PM

Lol. That saying works sometimes, but not here. I've seen most of the audience (Friend of friends of friends type of thing) and it's most female and young... And "hot". So if anything, I'll probably stop and stare with wide eyes.

Maybe if I picture everyone dancing/jumping without any music...
Old 03-16-2009, 04:24 PM
Platinum Member

The fact that you are a unique person is the answer. Be yourself! Think about how different Ringo and Ginger Baker looked. The fact that you are not like the other members of your band will be an asset. Look at my profile pics. I'm a strange looking Red Haired guy. I use my looks to enhance my performance. People relate to the fact that I am a bit different. I often get more applause than my other band members. Relax and be comfortable about who you are. Don't think about your appearance. Think only about feeling the music and the playing.
Old 03-16-2009, 10:33 PM

ahriman i feel what you saying
Old 03-16-2009, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahriman22 View Post
So picture a tall, dark drummer, in a Metal band and add the Japanese into that and my band mates.
Sounds cool to me. Diversity is good.
Old 03-16-2009, 11:55 PM

My first gig was so much fun! Stuff went wrong, (guitar strings broke, blew a breaker for the amps, and I broke a footboard!) but in the end we rocked the place. It was a full bar, record sales for a friday night, and everyone went away happy. We have some fun stories from that night...\

Now the nervous part...

take a practice pad or something to warm up with. Play some perididdles or other rudiments to warm up, don't forget to breath. This is your chance to show the world how much fun you have being a drummer!

Just breath and play! if your practiced up, you will do just fine!
Old 03-17-2009, 01:07 AM
"Uncle Larry"

Anxiety is a form of energy, so keep it all positive and think to yourself thoughts like, "Tonight I get to play drums for some young hot women", and "I'm so lucky, this is gonna be so much fun" and "I'm going to play in such a way that all the young hot women will have no choice but to get up on the dance floor and shake their bodies to this awesome groove I'm laying down"
Keep your eyes open and visually connect with the audience and your bandmates, get the heck out of your own head and think about everyone else first, don't worry about the drumming.
'
Old 03-17-2009, 01:21 AM
Silver Member

My suggestion is to drink alcohol.
Once you limit the amount of oxygen to your brain, your inhibitions will diminish.

Noble & Cooley Horizon Reissue, Craviotto Solid Maple 4-Piece
Old 03-17-2009, 01:37 AM
Administrator - Mayor

Alcohol is not the trick. That is only a crutch. Time will help. Put your cymbals up high and on an angle so the audience is hidden from view and gradually lower them as become more confident. Just kidding. You are doing something you like and have looked forward to. The worst you can do is make a mistake. You will survive. Go kick some butt.
Old 03-17-2009, 04:27 AM

i was REALLY nervous before my first ever gig. i'm probably a shy person outside of music. i think my nerves were from fear of the unknown. the more shows i played the less nervous i became and now i don't get any nerves, just excitement and anticipation.

a positive mind set is really important, belief in yourself and the effort you've put into learning your material. if you've rehearsed and know your parts, just remind yourself that. you'll play better with a "its gonna be a great gig, wooo!" attitude.

closing your eyes can help if you have some nerves and lets your focus be more on what your hearing.

also diversity is an awesome thing. i wouldn't worry what background the crowd, you, or your band mates are, its all good.

gigs are so much fun, i'm sure you'll have a great time.
Old 03-17-2009, 02:30 PM
Big_Philly

Quote:
Originally Posted by hateplow View Post
My suggestion is to drink alcohol.
Once you limit the amount of oxygen to your brain, your inhibitions will diminish.
Your inhibitions, and your drumming skills if you overdo it. Personally I'd stick to one or twoo beers beforehand if I really needed alcohol to calm me down. But like others have said, there's really nothing to worry about if you can play the songs you're going to play. Also, standing out because of your appearance is probably going to do quite well with the hot chicks you mentioned.
Old 03-17-2009, 03:36 PM
Platinum Member

I wouldn't worry about it too much. So what if you like them? At the end of the day they're just people, just like you. I think that's why the imagining them naked is such a good idea, it helps you humanise them. That makes you feel better about it. It's nothing to be ashamed of. You wouldn't be a person if you weren't a bit apprehensive about this gig but try to turn it into positive drumming energy rather than making you worse and you'll be sorted :)
Old 03-17-2009, 04:17 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
Alcohol is not the trick. That is only a crutch.
I was being slightly sarcastic...

Noble & Cooley Horizon Reissue, Craviotto Solid Maple 4-Piece
Old 03-17-2009, 04:18 PM
Platinum Member

As the NIKE ad says: Just do it.

...and as GD says, forget the booze.

There is a first time for everything and it the same for all of those things:

Focus on what you need to do.

Take a deep breath.

Jump in.

Do the best you can.

Works for all 'fist time' wibbly wobblies. Learn from it and move on.

Forget this tall, dark, Japanese, Chinese Metal talk.

Just do it the best you can...and have a cold beer afterwards.

Its really that painless.

Old 03-17-2009, 04:47 PM
Platinum Member

Before I play a gig I always relax, clear my mind and I get into character. I have created the character that I call Bob Da Druma. Bob Da Druma feels equal to everybody. He loves everyone and he believes that everyone likes him. BDD only thinks of music. He doesn't care about anything else. He listens to his band mates while playing and he goes with the flow so to speak. BDD looks at his audience when he plays and he relates to them. He finds faces in the crowd that seem to be groovin to the music and he plays to them. Bob Da Druma doesn't have time to think about anything else. He is to busy groovin to the vibes. That is how I overcome gig anxiety. Its just plain relaxing! I sometimes play without thinking about what I'm playing. Sort of like driving to work and you can't remember driving there after you get there. You stopped at all the stop signs, you made all the right turns. Your subconscious mind did all this for you. You were in a zone so to speak. You were aware of driving but you weren't obsessing over driving your car. You were looking at the other drivers and sights along the way and you were making decisions and responding to them without worrying about it.
Old 03-17-2009, 05:09 PM

Learn your parts.

Grab a beer.

Be prepared for lots of faces staring at you.

Watch your time as it's natural for you (and your band) to speed up with the adrenalin.

Be prepared for a wall-of-noise sound, unless you've got grreat monitors

Don't lose your head and start throwing in wild fills all over the place.

Just remember you will be doing something that millions of of people would love to do, but will never be able to.

You're a musician.

Enjoy it.
Old 03-17-2009, 05:17 PM

Since it's your first gig, make sure someone gets some pictures of you. You only get one first gig, I wish I had pictures of mine.
Oh yeah, screw the alchohol, save it for after the gig.
Old 03-17-2009, 05:30 PM

Don't worry so much about how the audience will picture you. They won't care so much about the color of your skin/size as much as whether the music is rockin'. Besides, you get to 'hide' in the back, behind your kit. The other members are the one's they'll be looking at. Unless youre into drums, the drummer is just the background - so dont get too hung up on it.
Second, try not to overdo anything and stay on point. You dont need to be overly flashy at first, just get through the first song clean and solid and it will get easier.

I had a performance recently for just my peers (about 20 people). I wasnt nervous at all leading up to it - until I sat behind the kit and realized that my right leg was shaking uncontrollably. Every 'kick', I felt my foot double-tap and that made me even more nervous. After the first song, it wasnt as bad and the more I played the more comfortable I felt and the less shaky I was.
try to relax and good luck!
Old 03-17-2009, 09:32 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
So my first gig is coming up soon and it's only now that I'm beginning to feel nervous.
In the real world, I'm pretty damn shy and quiet, usually in my own corner, despite my 6'5 height, so that doesn't help my situation here.

So not only is it my first gig, but I don't think I would be able to feel any more "out of place". I'm a mix, half Portuguese and half Haitian, which means I have a light brown tint to my skin, but it's still blatantly obvious. Thing is I'm in a Japanese band, the other 3 members are all Japanese and can speak it (Obviously), I can't.

So picture a tall, dark drummer, in a Metal band and add the Japanese into that and my band mates. You can see why it's slightly awkward for me.

Any tips on getting over that "First gig anxiety" feel?

P.S.: Crowd is also mainly Chinese.
Pffffft!! Dude, it's a GIG!! It's supposed to be FUN! You get to show off to your friends that you can play drums and THEY can't!! (well, even if they can, they're there to see YOU!!)

Remember, most people there won't know a thing about playing drums and any small slip-ups will be eaten up by the fervor of the band. They're not concentrating on YOU per'se, they're hearing the WHOLE band.

Just go there to have FUN playing your drums . . . after all, what's better than that ANYWAY??? (um, yeah, BESIDES that, L0L!!!!)
Listen To BONHAM here!!
ViperFace
Old 03-17-2009, 09:37 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdadruma View Post
Before I play a gig I always relax, clear my mind and I get into character. I have created the character that I call Bob Da Druma. Bob Da Druma feels equal to everybody. He loves everyone and he believes that everyone likes him. BDD only thinks of music. He doesn't care about anything else. He listens to his band mates while playing and he goes with the flow so to speak. BDD looks at his audience when he plays and he relates to them. He finds faces in the crowd that seem to be groovin to the music and he plays to them. Bob Da Druma doesn't have time to think about anything else. He is to busy groovin to the vibes. That is how I overcome gig anxiety. Its just plain relaxing! I sometimes play without thinking about what I'm playing. Sort of like driving to work and you can't remember driving there after you get there. You stopped at all the stop signs, you made all the right turns. Your subconscious mind did all this for you. You were in a zone so to speak. You were aware of driving but you weren't obsessing over driving your car. You were looking at the other drivers and sights along the way and you were making decisions and responding to them without worrying about it.
What a great post. I may have to adopt an alter ego myself. Genius!
Old 03-17-2009, 09:41 PM

I know the first few times that I had to play in front of people, I was sooooo nervous. Fidgitiing with everything.

Like everyone says... breathe.

I found that as soon as I started playing, the music took over, and the nervousness went away.

Don't think too much about it, all of your practice will kick in. Enjoy the ride, and the rush!
Old 03-17-2009, 09:56 PM

Location: Conviently located between Kalamazoo and Grand Rapids, MI , Michigan

Some people never get over the anxiety. All I can say is...Turn It Positive.
I still get anxious before a show, but it's a different feeling than nervousness.
It's more of excitement and anticipation, I thrive off it. It feeds me through the
show. In fact I have a hard time coming down...I tend to be up 3-4hours after
the show and thoroughly enjoying every second of it.

Turn your stage-fright into stage-mite. Allow it to be a positive energy, and I
guarantee that after time you will welcome every second of it.
Old 03-17-2009, 10:04 PM
Silver Member

Drink some booze, you will sound better. Oh and make sure everyone else does as well, then you will sound great!!
Good luck!
Old 03-17-2009, 10:24 PM
Platinum Member

Being nervous is normal, stay away from the booze, wear sunglasses.

And come out really strong like this guy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dw3z9s99r64
Old 03-18-2009, 04:56 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
What a great post. I may have to adopt an alter ego myself. Genius!
I studied acting in high school. I learned about character acting. I am a shy man who naturally lacks confidence. I look at my shoes sometimes when I speak to people. I created Bob Da Druma as a necessity! He truly is my alter ego! When I become Bob Da Druma, I truly feel that I am equal to everyone else. I always keep Bob Da Druma in control so that he does not begin to feel superior to other people. That is a danger of an alter ego. You always have to remember that the character that you created is not you! Spend time developing your character. Write an outline about the traits that your character should have. Then you have to experiment with the traits until you get them perfected. Don't be discouraged at first! It takes trial and error and whatever time is needed until you are comfortable with the character that you create. It will also take time for you to become comfortable with slipping into and out of character. Drinking will only confuse your judgement when developing the character that you choose. Base him on people that you know or are familiar with. Chose traits from these people that you admire. My character is based in part on a man that I knew when I was a teenager who always helped me get along as I was growing up.

Last edited by bobdadruma; 03-18-2009 at 05:36 AM.
Old 03-18-2009, 02:50 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Bob, that's a seriously creative solution. It's posts like yours that makes this place so interesting. I would never have thought of that. A toast...to Bob Da Druma... the most confident, coolest guy there is. Cheers!
Old 03-19-2009, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moktie View Post
Some people never get over the anxiety. All I can say is...Turn It Positive.
I still get anxious before a show, but it's a different feeling than nervousness.
It's more of excitement and anticipation, I thrive off it. It feeds me through the
show. In fact I have a hard time coming down...I tend to be up 3-4hours after
the show and thoroughly enjoying every second of it.

Turn your stage-fright into stage-mite. Allow it to be a positive energy, and I
guarantee that after time you will welcome every second of it.
Exactly.

I think "Anxious" and "Excited" are the same sensation, except that one is negative and the other positive. If I start to feel anxious, I just tell myself that I'm actually excited instead. Then I think a little about actually how exciting the whole thing is and -poof- the polarity of the anxiousness instantly gets flipped and becomes "excitement" instead, and I feel much better and can't wait to get down to business!

After all, what's the worse thing that could happen? It's just music, it's not life or death.

And don't forget to breathe (that's much more important than drumming)

Also check out the book by Kenny Werner book, Effortless Mastery. There's another thread about it somewhere...

Let us know how you got on!
Old 03-19-2009, 02:08 AM

Just make sure you practice enough and you'll have nothing to worry about... Good luck!
Old 03-19-2009, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdadruma View Post
I studied acting in high school. I learned about character acting. I am a shy man who naturally lacks confidence. I look at my shoes sometimes when I speak to people. I created Bob Da Druma as a necessity! He truly is my alter ego! When I become Bob Da Druma, I truly feel that I am equal to everyone else. I always keep Bob Da Druma in control so that he does not begin to feel superior to other people. That is a danger of an alter ego. You always have to remember that the character that you created is not you! Spend time developing your character. Write an outline about the traits that your character should have. Then you have to experiment with the traits until you get them perfected. Don't be discouraged at first! It takes trial and error and whatever time is needed until you are comfortable with the character that you create. It will also take time for you to become comfortable with slipping into and out of character. Drinking will only confuse your judgement when developing the character that you choose. Base him on people that you know or are familiar with. Chose traits from these people that you admire. My character is based in part on a man that I knew when I was a teenager who always helped me get along as I was growing up.
I swear...this is the greatest advice you'll ever get regarding this subject.
Old 03-19-2009, 05:25 AM
Platinum Member

I see that many of you have embraced my solution to stage fright. I wasn't sure how folks would react to my advice when I posted it. I let Bob Da Druma write it for me. He is not afraid to be honest with people when he displays his feelings. About a month ago I was playing a gig. I started a song and I totally messed it up. I clicked my sticks together in a non rhythm-like way and I yelled out "Hold it, Hold it,Stop the band"! The band stopped and they looked at me with disgust. Our singer said, "What do you mean, Stop the band?" I cried out, "Ron Da Bass Player screwed up!" Our singer said, "Ron didn't screw up, You screwed up!" I said, "Oh yea,... Sorry! ...DO OVER!" The whole audience laughed and they began to clap along with the band as we started over again. No one in the audience held it against me. We all shared a laugh together. I made them part of the show! When you feel one with the audience, this sort of thing is possible. During our act our singer will frequently refer to me as Bob Da Druma. He will tell jokes about me. He picks on my clothes, glasses,etc. Bob Da Druma always has a comeback line to finish each joke. We have made Bob Da Druma part of our act.
Old 03-19-2009, 05:42 AM
Platinum Member

You can sit on my throne anytime, Bob. Your'e alright : )
Old 03-19-2009, 07:06 AM

Hey guys, thanks for all the replies.
I really like the BDD alter-ego idea, would most likely work for.
Me and my band mates were going through our setlist and I figured "What the hey, I'll add something I really like", so we'll also be doing a cover of a song called Parasite Scene by Sadie. The thing I like about that song is the feeling it gives, like the band just threw in one of their spur of the moment songs. Also, it's half English and half Japanese, so I'll be "singing" the English part, I'm actually just going to be doing my best demon impersonation, which gives a sense of power.

We recently threw a party outside of the city as to not disturb the neighbours. The lead guitarist/vocalist's parents have a country place and the sound doesn't carry very far and there's a huge field in the back. We invited allot of people from both our schools (I go to a different school than the 3 others in my band), about 200-300 people turned up (1800 students in my school, 2000 in theirs) with the help of word of mouth, posters at school and, of course, facebook. It turned out to be pretty much a small gig. We played parasite scene (Among many other songs) and it went great. I'm not a party person really, but that was the most fun I've had in...Ever. I was scared before going out an playing, but the moment I got on the throne it all melted away. Most of the crowd was paying attention to me, due to me being the only non-asian there :), but even that didn't deter me from having as much fun as possible.

I honestly thought it would be a small, boring party of 30 people max. But everybody just had a great time, dancing, jumping and everything, and even more surprising... There were no injuries. So I think I'm ready.
Old 03-19-2009, 07:34 AM
Silver Member

Six-five in an Asian country? I think that makes you a god, you have nothing to worry about.

You made this happen, you worked your butt off for years to put those people in front of you. That audience is your fault, your idea. Congrats on this important success! It's now yours to enjoy, make 'em dance!
Old 03-19-2009, 07:37 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spreggy View Post
Six-five in an Asian country? !
You heard of Yao Ming?
Old 03-19-2009, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spreggy View Post
Six-five in an Asian country? I think that makes you a god, you have nothing to worry about.

You made this happen, you worked your butt off for years to put those people in front of you. That audience is your fault, your idea. Congrats on this important success! It's now yours to enjoy, make 'em dance!
Actually we all live in Canada, Montreal. But still, it's EXTREMELY rare to see a non-asian with the asians here.
Old 03-20-2009, 10:23 AM

Stage fright is something pretty much everyone has to deal with. Some overcome it quicker than others. Just remember that people come to small venue shows not only to hear music, but to also have a good time. As part of the band, you're now part of that good time, share in it with them. I always looked at playing live as just being at a party in a club instead of a house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
Put your cymbals up high and on an angle so the audience is hidden from view and gradually lower them as become more confident. Just kidding.
Haha, I use to do that as a teen. Even at home I'd keep my two chinas right in front of me to block even my family and friends from seeing me behind there.
Old 03-20-2009, 12:15 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Actually we all live in Canada, Montreal. But still, it's EXTREMELY rare to see a non-asian with the asians here.
Yeah after all it does say that on your location thingy! And there are tall asians, who would guard the border between north and south korea if that wasn't the case?