Playing with passion or power. (Poll)

Ikebongo

drumming more about power or emotion?

I cant find the poll button so this is my poll nad you can write your own opinion.

Both. If you are into what you are doing, heart and soul, it doesn't matter if you are a delicate brush stroker or a club weilding caveman.

If your only goal is to demolish a drum kit, that is still emotion. I don't think you can have one without the other.

Well the music dictates that to a large extent I would think. Music first, always. When I played with 100% passion, it wasn't as good for the music than if I remained semi detached. The recorder proved that to me. As far as power goes, I use only about 20% of what I have on gigs, which is fine here. I feel no need to blow everyone out. My volume is why I get hired, I can hold it back. It's a necessity in my little quiet world.

I'd pick passion if I had to choose. Passion can be conveyed at any volume. If I played with power all the time, I wouldn't be employable in most places I play.

I don't see it as an either or. You should be able to express yourself at any volume level.

Some passion, some power. Mostly I play with economy and authority.

Bermuda

Mostly I play with a lot of focus on precision and control. Occasionally I get worked up and and get loud and stuff for a few seconds.

LOL that’s like my whole personality right there

I know this is semantics, but I think part of playing with passion can include playing with power. I don't think just being a powerful drummer means you are passionate.

In other words, focusing solely on passion can lead to power; however, focusing solely on power may not lead to passion.

Yessr - I say play with passion, if you are passionate you would be able to discern if the piece calls for finesse or power. Mr. Ike when you get the poll button thing figured out - I would be interested in seeing a raw passion vs technical skills (lacking feel, passion) poll.

I'm confused about your use of the term "power".
Please explain exactly what you mean by power.

Do you mean playing with authority, as in taking command and responsibility for the tempo?
Or do you mean playing loud?
Or?

I play for the song. If it requires either then cool, it gets played that way. If not, then it's still cool as long as the song works

I play whatever the song needs. Passion can include playing just a beat and playing very softly. It can also include wacking out and playing loud. Peace and goodwill.

Emotion rather than passion, dynamics rather than power. Like Larry said, that's the key to getting hired and asked back. Precision and consistency are the other two legs of this particular stool.

Taking command of the tempo

Well in this case I would like to modify my response. I am in the tempo first boat. For me, if the time isn't there, everything else is just waiting to fall apart. If something is difficult to play, I work on keeping it smooth first. No exceptions. Once that falls into place only then do I feel free enough to make it personal.

I'm okay with being robotic to an extent. Never heard anyone complain about good time.

Once the time is there, the emotion will follow suit.

Back