Which do you enjoy most: Playing by yourself, jamming with others, or playing live?

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
A friend from work (also a drummer) and I were talking last week about upcoming gigs and practices, and our conversation moved into talking about other drummers we know, and it reminded me of a guy I've known for quite a while. He played percussion all through high school and apparently had some pretty decent equipment at home (set of 90's DW's or so I heard). He sort of just messed around with bands and whatnot, but he never was in a band that did anything. From what I can tell he's perfectly happy just playing along with MP3's at his house and practicing rudiments.

The friend who I was chatting with doesn't really practice on his own, but he enjoys getting together and just jamming in his basement. He doesn't care at all about going out and playing live. He told me he is content on just playing in his house once a week or so.

For me, I love playing live more than anything. I do enjoy a good practice, don't get be wrong; however, I like the experience of playing in front of other people. I have always had a "gig bug." As a matter of fact, my wife says that I'm happiest whenever I get to play music and play out. I've played a TON of different genres over the years, so it doesn't really matter what I play - as long as it's in front of others, I'm doing well. Yes, the load-ins and load-outs can suck...especially if you are the drummer AND the PA guy, but it's still worth it to me.

I know that there is value in playing by oneself, jamming with others at home, and playing out in front of others. Is there one of these that you are particularly drawn to?

Playing live is what excites me most. Providing a great atmosphere for people to dance and let go of all their pressures. It's healing.

Practicing is great, but can't compare to live playing.

Jamming with others is #2

Practicing alone is #3

Drums are very much a social instrument. We need the others.

I like entertaining and being entertained, but at my age all of the humping gear would not make me happy, so for now I am content playing at home.

I enjoy playing to an audience - it doesn't matter if I'm just playing drums with a church worship band, or playing trumpet and singing in the wedding/party band, for me it's always better sharing that music with others.

Jamming with friends always, I do way too many gigs where I switch off and I'm only there for the money.

If I'm jamming and writing I'm thinking as well which I miss. I'm looking at writing music with perfect 20/20 hindsight as I'm in the middle of wedding season!

Practice is practice, I can noodle on a practice pad in front of the TV with the best of em :)

Never enjoyed audiences. At home, and for my personal entertainment only.

Playing out for me.....home practice on an e-kit just doesn't compare!
Agree with others the gear schlep is no fun but until that outweigh's the enjoyment of playing live I'll keep at it.

I'm going to depart from the above posters's opinions. I don't disagree with any of them, and in fact I agree with all of them.

I love playing live. It is a blast and a challenge and a thrill (and occasionally work). When the audience is into it and the band is on point, nothing feels better.

I love playing with some friends and just stretching out instrumentally, writing music or learning new songs together, having fun, improving as a group.

And I love getting in the woodshed, playing along to some of my favorite workout tunes or busting out a new piece to learn, or going over those sticky problem areas until they cease to be problems.

Seeing as the one leads to a better result for the next, and so on, I am pretty much just happy to play, whatever the excuse or occasion!

The stage is where it's at. Jamming is great, but nothing beats the feeling of pushing out energy to the room in the form of music.

That said, obviously it can be a drag, multiple nights of setup tear down in a row, bad bandmate manners on the road, playing to empty rooms.

But it's all worth it just so I can get that high from playing out.

I really can't stand playing the drums alone. It's not music, and I'm here to make music. Unless I'm practicing a certain technique or making it interesting with something challenging, alone practice is a bit of a chore for me. I prefer to get as much time playing with others as possible and get by day to day looking forward to the next show.

I really can't stand playing the drums alone. It's not music, and I'm here to make music. Unless I'm practicing a certain technique or making it interesting with something challenging, alone practice is a bit of a chore for me. I prefer to get as much time playing with others as possible and get by day to day looking forward to the next show.

I feel the same way.

I wonder how different the answers would be if this were a piano players forum.

I'm curious as to why you singled out piano players.

Because they have the most ability to play complex "music" all by themselves. The piano is often used as the only tool in writing out a new piece of music, whereas drums are often an after-thought and do not get involved (for the most part) in melodic happenings.

I don't mind solo-practice time with a guitar but solo time with a drumset is much less appealing.

Because they have the most ability to play complex "music" all by themselves. The piano is often used as the only tool in writing out a new piece of music, whereas drums are often an after-thought and do not get involved (for the most part) in melodic happenings.

I don't mind solo-practice time with a guitar but solo time with a drumset is much less appealing.

Fair enough. Guitars too then. I would think the performance aspect of it...the part most everyone likes...would be universal across the board. Piano players included.

In order of preference:

1. Playing out. Nothing like a live audience screaming and cheering
2. Jamming kind of like striking up a flirty conversation at a party with a pretty girl
3. Alone practicing is more of an intellectual pursuit.

To me they're all connected, with solo practice at the base of everything. Then jamming with the band, where you apply what you worked out in solo practice (I play originals), then you take it all to the stage and make people happy with your music. Which is the pay off for all the work.

I'm curious as to why you singled out piano players.

I could have included lots of other musical instruments. However, there are a lot of pianos and keyboards in people's homes that are played by people who would NEVER think about playing live in a band. I have had to twist a lot of arms trying to get people to play the piano in church to support the church choir.

Yes what Dr_Watso said.

At this point in life it's playing by myself. Did the band thing for 8 years, got burnt out on being tied to one kind of music. Plus I'm an antisocial homebody. I would show up, set up, leave, return to play, then load out and go home.

Writing music was my favorite thing about being in a band. Playing the same song for the thousandth time really burns me out.

I really enjoy all three in equal measure

Love playing with others as you're collaborating/creating/reacting to each other's play together as a team. Sometching special about that.

Love playing at home on my own as I get to play around with things/come up with ideas in my own time with no constraints.

Love playing live as you really can't beat that build up then buzz during and finally euphoric feeling afterwards.

Back