SKB's and Tama Starclassic Performers

AFE87

Hello (first time posting, I've been lurking for years),

I just recently picked up a good deal on a fusion-sized set of SKB cases. These are meant to slowly phase out my Levys bags that I got from Mars Music (yeah, that old!). Does anyone here have experience with Tama Starcast mounts and these cases in terms of how well they fit? I assume it will be snug. I'm just worried that I'll receive them and discover that I should have ordered the next size up. I looked at previous related threads but could not find a specific answer to my problem. If I've overlooked it, I apologize. I will be moving to Chicago this Fall due to Graduate School, so I wanted to upgrade my cases to withstand the weather. While I'm at it...any considerations for weather-related gear safety as I move my drums from Texas to Illinois? I aspire to do some gigging, and I want to keep my gear nice (should I just invest in a 'beater kit'?). Any help or thoughts would be great!

The SCP fit better in my SKB cases then my CX Pacifics did. The ISO mounts are more compact. Still a snug fit in the two corners of the hard case but loose enough not to deform the shape of the case before you put the lid on. Should be just fine. When you get to the 14" floor tom size and larger, the three leg mounts are too big for my standard 14" floor tom case. A 16" case would fit the floor tom better but I don't have that size yet. So, the floor tom skb cases need to be a size larger to accomodate the 3 leg mounts O.D.

Welcome to the forum.

Nodiggie: So my 16x18 three-legged floor tom (that serves as both a 'gong drum' and a bop kick) may have issues fitting in the 16x18 case? 16x20?

Uniin: What size is your drum? What part of it causes the issue? Should I have a problem with my 18x22 bass drum then?

I also want to note that these are old SCP's...2001-2002.

Nodiggie: So my 16x18 three-legged floor tom (that serves as both a 'gong drum' and a bop kick) may have issues fitting in the 16x18 case? 16x20?

Uniin: What size is your drum? What part of it causes the issue? Should I have a problem with my 18x22 bass drum then?

I also want to note that these are old SCP's...2001-2002.

That's right. My12x14 floor does not fit in the 14" SKB case. Depth is no problem. The three floor tom leg mounts are too wide or stick out too far to fit. A 16" case would work. You will need a 16x20 to fit your 16x18 floor tom.

it fits my toms and snare perfectly... but my bass drum doesn't fit into my SKB case... i'm so sad about this!

i just bought skb cases to go with my star classics, they were 65% off at my music store and i couldn't resists. so dissapointed that it didn't fit my bass drum! oh well, at least it fits my fibrestar (workhorse kit) fine.

Uniin...I have a similar problem with the 20x22 kick. I can just get the lid on but the case is not deep enough. I have to take special care when I do use it because the cover is resting on the bass drum hoop. Arghhhh

I have 2 Starclassic Kits and all SKB cases. I have found that my 20x18 SCM kick with the sliding tom mount is a snug fit, but it works in the 20x18 case. I stick one spur in the corner. The older Starcast mounts are a little bulkier so I place the wingnut perpendicular to the case in the corner. My B/B has the newer style mounts so it is not as tight a squeeze. The floor tom is snug. I tighten the wingnuts for the legs and it slips right in the case. I have had no problems not being able to fit any Starclassics in SKBs.

ineedaclutch: Interesting. Maybe this can be attributed to inconsistencies/QC at SKB? I can definitely visualize how you put the drums in the cases. Hopefully the same will work for me. Maybe I could take the wingnuts off every time I load the floor tom if it doesn't work. Hopefully the return policy at this place I bought it can cover me if I find something doesn't fit right.

You shouldn't have to remove anything and the way I pack my drums doesn't add more than 5 seconds to load out. SKBs are are quality and if you have a problem with their products they are more than happy to fix it. Your drums should just be happy about moving out of the Texas heat and humidity.

Maybe this can be attributed to inconsistencies/QC at SKB?

I only own SKB snare and cymbal cases, but I'm familiar with the rest of their line due to old fashioned coveting, every time I see them in a store.

I'll stake everything I own on the fact that none of these problems are due to inconsistencies or QC issues at SKB. It's down to the simple fact that hardware varies from manufacturer to manufacturer......in fact, from series to series in many instances. Their 22x18 BD cases would be all the same specs (they all come out of the same mold)....the diff. comes down to the hardware used on individual drums.

Ineedaclutch even stated that the old mounting hardware was bulkier...hence why it doesn't fit.

Back