Head for gong drum

dkerwood

Silver Member
Okay, so I just set up a 20" bass drum as a gong drum, and after about 5 minutes and a dozen strokes, the head split. Now, that head was about 14 years old, and was the batter head on my first drumset... but it brings up an interesting conundrum.

What 20" heads will stand up to small snare sticks instead of large bass drum beaters? For that matter, what heads will help a gong drum to sound *different* than just a bass drum? And, as if that wasn't enough, inexpensive heads would be fantastic, since it's more novelty than necessity for me right now.

Okay, so I just set up a 20" bass drum as a gong drum, and after about 5 minutes and a dozen strokes, the head split. Now, that head was about 14 years old, and was the batter head on my first drumset... but it brings up an interesting conundrum.

What 20" heads will stand up to small snare sticks instead of large bass drum beaters? For that matter, what heads will help a gong drum to sound *different* than just a bass drum? And, as if that wasn't enough, inexpensive heads would be fantastic, since it's more novelty than necessity for me right now.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Remo-WeatherKing-Clear-Emperor-Batter-Drum-Head-100325856-i1136362.gc

I'm no expert, but I'm thinking just a plain old clear 1-ply with some nice tuning to differentiate it from a bass drum. If I had a stand for it, I'd turn my 18" tom into a gong drum--it sounds VERY good with the stock heads, with the bottom tuned VERY tight, and the top tuned VERY loose, giving it supreme punch.

I have a gong bassdrum head from jason bittner from shadows fall. he uses a coated ambassador.

I'd say clear emperors or, gulp... Pinstripes. Man i can't believe i just said that.

I believe either an Ambassador or a PS3 for slightly more muffling would be the best. Gives it a nice smooth, open tone to work with. That's the premise of a gong... isn't it?

Emperors are 2 ply buddy.

Oh ok...I think I was thinking of Ambassadors.

Back