Cymbals as carry-on?

I flew back to my old hometown for business and just bought some cymbals, the biggest of which is 21". I have a 22" bag. I'd like to take them on with me, rather than check them. The overhead bin on the flight will hold them ... I'm really mainly worried about security. Does anybody know if TSA has an issue with carrying cymbals on planes?

I'm sure they don't. I took a snare drum, with a stand and sticks for carry on. Cymbals should fit in the overhead

I flew back to my old hometown for business and just bought some cymbals, the biggest of which is 21". I have a 22" bag. I'd like to take them on with me, rather than check them. The overhead bin on the flight will hold them ... I'm really mainly worried about security. Does anybody know if TSA has an issue with carrying cymbals on planes?
Only if they fall down and crash

I've never had a problem with it-- you can carry them with you without them counting against your carry on allowance. Cymbals over 20" often won't fit in the overheads, so while boarding I usually ask the flight attendant if I can put them in the wardrobe up front. Never had a problem with security except sometimes they'll want to take a look inside the bag.

how does something 22 inches wide fit through X-ray? or in overhead bin?

I'm curious about the X-ray myself. Even if it does fit through I figure they'll hand examine them anyway. Just not sure if they'll freak out or bounce me back.

As for the overheads, cross-country flights usually have big enough bins. The max permitted size for a carry-on bag is 22" long and they usually have you put those wheels-in. On the way here I saw a guy lay his suit bag out in one of the overheads with no problem (people just kept trying to shove bags on top of it).

If it doesn't fit I'll beg to get it in the closet or last-resort gate check. But I'd really prefer to carry them myself.

I'm kind of on the fence. I have the box they came in, I could just bundle them up and check them. I just don't want to risk them being damaged or lost.

For anybody who keeps frantically refreshing this thread, longing for closure ... or anyone who might be in the same situation:

TSA has a Facebook page where they answer questions, and they replied that cymbals are allowed through the security checkpoint!

I've flown before with a 22" bag. It didn't fit in the overhead, but they had a small closet in the front of the plane that they put it in.

I always bring my cymbals as carry-ons. Never had an issue with them, they fit right in the overhead on my planes. Some smaller jets aren't big enough, so for those I put them on the floor half way under the seat in front of me and just rest my feet on the part that sticks out. Again, never had an issue.

Got a china back from Amsterdam.

Security were fine but Holland are a bit more laid back than most.

Back