your opinions about walnut...

ecpietscheck

hey guys
just wanted to know what do you think about this wood?
i personally love it, i look forward on having a kit made of walnut any time soon...

Absolutely! +1
can't wait for my Saturn Series soon!!!! :)
Cheers

My personal favorite wood for snare..have built 2 snares..the 1st a walnut ply..the 2nd a walnut stave that sounds so frickin awesome...its 14 x 5 with tricked out 1st rate hardware. It doesnt leave my house...will use it for some future studio work but no bar gigging...

Go for a 1-ply or stave walnut kit. It brings out the walnutty goodness better than a ply kit. Also, make sure the edges aren't sharp as a tack.

For "looks and sound", I'd have to rate walnut at number one, myself. For just sound, I'd say Cherry, and for just looks, I'd say Zebrawood.

Walnut is outstanding. Lots of warmth, with a strong woody voice, and still enough power to cut through with volume. I know they talk about birch as "pre-EQ'd" but walnut naturally puts out a character that a lot of sound guys try to achieve. I do a lot of walnut drums for guys who are looking for a combination of power and versatility. Great for rock, great for blues and, incidentally, great for concert snares as well.

Here are a couple them, one a stave shell, one a steambent solid:

Attachments

• WalnutStA500.jpg
    WalnutStA500.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 144
  • 081410WalnutA500.jpg
    081410WalnutA500.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 113
Back