What to do in-between lessons

scatica

I have started having lessons every week for 45 minutes 1 on 1. After the session we have he gets me to do several exercises, like beat patterns. But because I am keen and want to get better, is there anything that I can do extra that would still be good practice?

For example should I do a few rudiments everyday on the practice pads? Or any other suggestions that would supplement the lessons?

if you feel you need supplement lessons ...that is sign number one that you may need a different teacher

or at least need to talk to this teacher about what you guys are working on.....ask him this very question

a great teacher challenges you to your max and gives you as much to work on as he thinks you can handle....does not sound like this is happening

Last edited:
Do what the lesson plan is and then do whatever the hell you want on the kit (within reason, don't want to develop bad habits or anything like that).

Put your metronome at 30 bpm and try doing exact single strokes. If that's not keen enough for you, then I don't have a clue.

Learn that week's lesson completely (your teacher should be assigning you a substantial amount of homework), figure out your own things to practice, listen to music, play with other musicians. Those are all equally important.

Alternate your lesson stuff with improvisations based on your lesson stuff. try creating your own beat patterns and variations of what you are studying.

I agree with Todd and Gvd. You should be given an appropriate amount of material to practice. I assign students enough to keep them busy the entire week. I usually give:

- Snare drum Reading
- Snare Drum Technique
- Mallet Percussion (when applicable)
- Drum Set (which may consist of chart reading, coordination, styles, etc...)

What does your teacher assign? What books are you working out of?

Jeff

Try not accepting that you've "mastered" something until you can play it consistently for a minute - and at varying dynamics and tempos, and with relaxed muscles. That should keep you going with the first exercise he gave you for a couple of years.

Also, record yourself so you realise what you are actually doing as opposed to what you thought you were doing as you were playing it. It's a real eye opener. Things you thought you had nailed often don't sound so flash on playback.

If I did that when I started I would be a much stronger player today.

Back