Tony Williams

All hail Tony Williams!!!

What else can you say?!?

-John

Long live large drum sizes! That really reinforces my preference of going big and tight over small and loose. Such attack and tone! Digging the dots, too; they really shine on a kit like that.

First 2:10 or so leading into that first big entrance -- goose bumps. And then SO SMOOTH. Great video, great find.

I'm not sure if this is posted anywhere here yet, but I found this on YouTube. It's Tony Williams and his quintet performing Sister Cheryl in New York. I've always loved his solo prior to the beginning of the song. The man had control, and wrote wonderful music to boot!

Check it out - it sounds good, but you might want headphones to get the full effect of his black dot heads!

A version of this was also recorded for his Tokyo Live CD, which I lost. Now when I try to find it, you can't touch it for less than $35 on Amazon. Dang it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTUBecbl7Gs

Enjoy!

I found this tune a few weeks ago. Made my life better

That kit is 80's arena rock credible and he plays it so great. I found this sound a few weeks ago as earlier stated but with Wynton and Ron Carter on bass. My drum teacher is focusing on my listening skills, particularly the bass. When I heard Ron Carter, I had a moment.

This version just soars too.

Ba Bump Ba Bump Ba Bump.....

Thanks for finding and sharing.

Beautiful. He evokes that kind of deep, meaningful response from so many drummers. That clip you posted is one of my favorites.

One of the most eye-opening moments of my musical life was when a friend put on a recording of the Miles Davis Complete '64 Concert, My Funny Valentine + Four & More. Tony's playing on that record just transformed my understanding of the drum set from that point forward.

Gary, for what it's worth, I think that spirit of creativity and fearlessness that Tony had very much lives on in your music. One of the most memorable concerts I've attended was a show you played with Allan Holdsworth at Alvin's in Detroit back in the mid-90s. The energy was off-the-charts.

Man, oh, man, the things you can stumble upon!

Guys, get a load of this. http://youtu.be/CLexLS0dSP4

A trio date with Tommy Flanagan, Ron Carter and Tony Williams. But it's Tony playing in a much more traditional, bebop style. This was cut in 1983, but Tony's playing is radically different. It is still unmistakably Tony, and his sound is still very identifiable, but man, it's quite a departure hearing Tony play these old standards so close to the tradition of the drummers who originally played them.

I found the one track on YouTube, but the whole album is terrific so far!

What kills me is the drumming here comes from a style that pre-dates even what Tony was doing in the early 60s. I hear a lot more triplet-based stuff... things Tony used only sparsely in his early dates. The things he always kind of left out to form his own sound, he leaves them in on this record. Fascinating, and I somehow never heard this one before.

I'm not sure if this is posted anywhere here yet, but I found this on YouTube. It's Tony Williams and his quintet performing Sister Cheryl in New York. I've always loved his solo prior to the beginning of the song. The man had control, and wrote wonderful music to boot!

I have this on DVD and I find myself watching it more that most other "drummer" videos I have. The whole set is just killin'

Tony was a magical player...no doubt. Four and more changed me in so many ways...like most of us I'm sure.

And yes, the Tommy Flanagan recording is great as well. You're right that it is a departure of his normal playing...might have something to do with Ron Carter. His playing always seemed to pull different ideas out of my mind while listening...more traditional ideas.

Beautiful!

D

"The last thing I was ever conscious of was whatever technique he had."

Perfect.

And from 8Miles:

He sounds like he's having a ball playing on this. What a treat!

Also, what Derek Roddy just said (my browser was open too long and didn't see the post).

-John

Man, oh, man, the things you can stumble upon!

A trio date with Tommy Flanagan, Ron Carter and Tony Williams. But it's Tony playing in a much more traditional, bebop style. This was cut in 1983, but Tony's playing is radically different. It is still unmistakably Tony, and his sound is still very identifiable, but man, it's quite a departure hearing Tony play these old standards so close to the tradition of the drummers who originally played them.

I found the one track on YouTube, but the whole album is terrific so far!

wow!!

how have I never heard this.......Ron Carter is blowing my mind on this date

And yes, the Tommy Flanagan recording is great as well. You're right that it is a departure of his normal playing...might have something to do with Ron Carter. His playing always seemed to pull different ideas out of my mind while listening...more traditional ideas.

Beautiful!

D

Great point, Derek. When Ron and Tony left Miles, they went in different directions. Tony went in his fusion direction with Lifetime, but Ron stayed more in the tradition in his subsequent work.

Tony sounds like he's being an accompanist to Ron and Tommy here, trying to defer to them. I can't ever remember him riding hi-hats so much, and his snare is tuned much different, much looser tuning.

I have this on DVD and I find myself watching it more that most other "drummer" videos I have. The whole set is just killin'

Tony was a magical player...no doubt. Four and more changed me in so many ways...like most of us I'm sure.

Beautiful!

D

Hey Derek - what DVD is this from and is it still available anywhere? I'd love to get the whole concert. I listen to alot of Tony, but I never get to see much.

Hey Derek - what DVD is this from and is it still available anywhere? I'd love to get the whole concert. I listen to alot of Tony, but I never get to see much.

That was from the live at the blue note New York.
A buddy of mine had it on VHS and he transferred it to DVD and gave me a copy.

I'm sure if you looked hard enough.... Somebody has it for sale somewhere. Haha.

D

That was from the live at the blue note New York.
A buddy of mine had it on VHS and he transferred it to DVD and gave me a copy.

I'm sure if you looked hard enough.... Somebody has it for sale somewhere. Haha.

D

Actually I did scour around a little bit and found someone who had the Japanese LaserDisc of the concert and is making DVD-R's from it. But you didn't hear that from me.

Back