Chad Smith

Re: Chad Smith. Like? Dislike? come in.

Thomas Braas said:
Dislike... very much dislike....
why? he's a very powerfull funk drummer. he can play fast. he can play slow (a skill lost on many drummers today), loud soft. above all, he is one of the most tasteful drummers of all time. "soul to squeeze" is my favourite chillis song, cos all the instruments play the perfect part, drums included. (also, the singer is amazing in that song).

Re: Chad Smith. Like? Dislike? come in.

ewanlaing said:
why? he's a very powerfull funk drummer. he can play fast. he can play slow (a skill lost on many drummers today), loud soft. above all, he is one of the most tasteful drummers of all time. "soul to squeeze" is my favourite chillis song, cos all the instruments play the perfect part, drums included. (also, the singer is amazing in that song).

Yeah.

Lots of new drummers are obsessed with getting as fast as possible.

I was once like that...And then i started focusing on grooving, and playing slower stuff...

With nothing other than RHCP cd's to judge him, I'd say he's interesting and unique.

But I can't help feeling he was totally outclassed on the Modern Drummer Festival 2005 dvd (which isn't a bad thing, if you look at the huge amount of monster drummers on there).

My wife says he looks like Will Ferrel and Dennis Miller had a baby, LOL!

For something different with Chad, check out :

Glenn Hughes - Soul Mover
Paul Finazzo - Tango's Blueberry Jam (available from www.cdbaby.com)

I don't like RHCP and am no fan of Chad as such. But I like his playing on both of the above albums.

Stu_Strib said:
With nothing other than RHCP cd's to judge him, I'd say he's interesting and unique.

But I can't help feeling he was totally outclassed on the Modern Drummer Festival 2005 dvd (which isn't a bad thing, if you look at the huge amount of monster drummers on there).

My wife says he looks like Will Ferrel and Dennis Miller had a baby, LOL!

Yeah.

I especially love the older tracks by the Peppers, for instance BSSM...

He does some serious grooving on that album.

I love Chad Smith!!

This guy was my favourite drummer (and is now second, being usurped by the gaddmeister).
The man knows how to PLAY! his playing is so groovy and funky, and he's even better live. Ever heard live in hyde park? That is one sweet concert, although a bit more rocky than funky, because it's a concert, and that's how it should be.

I learnt how to GROOVE by listening to chad smith, he is my number one influence. Unfortunately i still haven't listened to the earlier albums.

One question, was Chad a pioneer? I mean did anyone else play funk rock before him?

Ashbash said:
I love Chad Smith!!

This guy was my favourite drummer (and is now second, being usurped by the gaddmeister).
The man knows how to PLAY! his playing is so groovy and funky, and he's even better live. Ever heard live in hyde park? That is one sweet concert, although a bit more rocky than funky, because it's a concert, and that's how it should be.

I learnt how to GROOVE by listening to chad smith, he is my number one influence. Unfortunately i still haven't listened to the earlier albums.

One question, was Chad a pioneer? I mean did anyone else play funk rock before him?

You should definitely give BSSM a try, to me, it's their best album.

And i would find it strange if Chad was the first funk rock drummer :)

it says on the internet that chad holds the record for the largest kit at 308 pieces! i can't a picture of it though, so if anyone finds one, can i see it?

Chad Smith is an amazing drummer!!All you have to do is listen to early RHCP stuff an youll just be blown away.....one song that you have to hear its so insane and has some brilliant ghost notes and triplets throughout it is "Instrumental #1"...not hard drumming but the way it fits the bass line is incredible!so cool....hes one of the Funkiest drummers out there......class!but i do agree that the new RHCPs stuff is just losing its touch....they used to do stuff with such raw energy,but now theyve become pretty respectable mature guys...its just lost that insanity!!!

He has some killing grooves no doubt about that...
but the thing i like most about him is his feet work, just a great in-your-face base drum sounds.

I agree his druming fits with his great personality,he plays really well with flees crazy bass riffs and sets a good structure for the song,breaking the girl is a good example of this.

da cheese walks said:
Chad Smith is an amazing drummer!!All you have to do is listen to early RHCP stuff an youll just be blown away.....one song that you have to hear its so insane and has some brilliant ghost notes and triplets throughout it is "Instrumental #1"...not hard drumming but the way it fits the bass line is incredible!so cool....hes one of the Funkiest drummers out there......class!but i do agree that the new RHCPs stuff is just losing its touch....they used to do stuff with such raw energy,but now theyve become pretty respectable mature guys...its just lost that insanity!!!

Well they have grown up too :)

It's normal that as they get older, they would want to try out a different approach to music. And i really like the Chili's nowadays, they still have great songs.

lfdy said:
Well they have grown up too :)

It's normal that as they get older, they would want to try out a different approach to music. And i really like the Chili's nowadays, they still have great songs.

Yeah your totally right....but i just cant help but find their new stuff a bit sterile,and without that amount of feeling they used have?Its still class music but not with that "Oomph" they used to give!!But thats just my opinion!

yeah i also agree that his bass work is class!!hes got a great sound out of his kit overall...!I mean i love his snare sound!!its tuned nice and tight but still has a brilliant sound....!

i think chad is awesome. it seems on their earlier stuff he would lay more down and have harder beats and stuff while on by the way and their later stuff he kinda matured i guess and leaves things open for craziness live.

da cheese walks said:
Yeah your totally right....but i just cant help but find their new stuff a bit sterile,and without that amount of feeling they used have?Its still class music but not with that "Oomph" they used to give!!But thats just my opinion!

yeah i also agree that his bass work is class!!hes got a great sound out of his kit overall...!I mean i love his snare sound!!its tuned nice and tight but still has a brilliant sound....!

Yeah, i know what you mean...

They don't have the same funkiness in their music as they used to. But in some songs they still do, like Can't Stop, or Purple Stain,...

As mentioned previously.....he and Flea are a fantastic team. Smith has some really great grooves that get your head bobbing. He's great to listen to live.

lfdy said:
Yeah, i know what you mean...

They don't have the same funkiness in their music as they used to. But in some songs they still do, like Can't Stop, or Purple Stain,...
yeah yeah i dig it....cant stop is a brilliant song....really nice drumming an i have to say the guitar solo is as tasteful as anything john frusciante ever does!!!I just find their songs have become more mainstream an sorts....i mean especially if you consider how "out there" they were!!!hahaha!

Back