Drummers - What sets *you* apart ?

opentune

Platinum Member
Ok, drummers are individuals and we've all heard that they can play the same money beat and make it 'sound' different. So I'm curious, what sets you apart from *MOST* other drummers, in either positive or negative ways?
(Sure we're all at different levels but just state a few views of what you think of yourself as a drumming individual). I'll begin, not in any order:

1. I prefer to use 20 inch bass drums.
2. I 'underfill' compared to most.
3. I prefer only 2 cymbals + hats
4. Single ply coated heads as both batter and resos.
5. I prefer heel down on hi hat (wish I would change that).

i play flat foot with both base and hi-hat, wish i could change that too cant get any speed without my foot flat :p

1) i use padudas a lot (RLL)
2) i hit my drums really hard (in battle of the bands competitions i'm always the loudest) - although when needed i play soft. probably because of years of gigging unmiced.
3) i tend to over fill a bit and i'm a terribly showy showman usually.
4) i never play a song the same way twice.
5) i love paiste 2002
6) i like to sing when i drum (backing vocs) and always wear one earplug slightly loose one deep in.

I am really tall, so I always have to adjust everything so I don't risk hitting my junk when trying to hit a snare.

Let's just say that if it weren't for my sweet mustache, and ever-appropriate, infallible sense of humor I'd sink into the abyss of drummer anonymity.

I'm never satisfied with my tom tuning or my cymbal arrangement.

I am still tweaking my setup after thirty years, never satisfied for long.
I also play hi hat heel down and bass drum pedals heel up ( weird)
still can't do real fast rolls with my feet after years of trying to get it down
I do have an uncanny ability to open hit hat at real cool spots...
I think I suck at tuning but not really sure....
I used to hit my snare with my stick hitting the haed and rim at the same time resulting in very strange frayed ares of the stick. I have since lost this bad habit.....

good topic

I used to hit my snare with my stick hitting the haed and rim at the same time resulting in very strange frayed ares of the stick. I have since lost this bad habit.....

Did you just call rim shots a bad thing?

and probably my simplicity compared to the majority of drummers i know personally. not a good thing nor a bad thing in my mind

I'm consistent from gig to gig, and happy to be that way. I know many drummers who change what they do, and except in jazz, jam bands, and possibly Latin gigs, the bands really don't dig it. Some have called me predictable, and I guess that works too. Bands know what they get with me, and keep calling me back.

One other thing on a more tangible level, I bring the right gear to the gig/session. I select a specific kick, snare, toms and cymbals for every gig based on the band/genre, and the venue, and nobody ever has to worry that my drums or cymbals are too loud, too soft, or sound like they belong in another style of music. Granted, I have a ton of gear that's mix'n'matchable, but, that's something that sets me apart from others competing for the same work.

Bermuda

I'm consistent from gig to gig, and happy to be that way. I know many drummers who change what they do, and except in jazz, jam bands, and possibly Latin gigs, the bands really don't dig it. Some have called me predictable, and I guess that works too. Bands know what they get with me, and keep calling me back.

One other thing on a more tangible level, I bring the right gear to the gig/session. I select a specific kick, snare, toms and cymbals for every gig based on the band/genre, and the venue, and nobody ever has to worry that my drums or cymbals are too loud, too soft, or sound like they belong in another style of music. Granted, I have a ton of gear that's mix'n'matchable, but, that's something that sets me apart from others competing for the same work.

Bermuda

Gee, I wonder what else might set you apart?

*cough*weird al's drummer*cough*

Bermuda

If I recall you're the guy with 80+ snares?. So how do you realistically reach up to a shelf of 80+ snares, and choose the 'right' one and put it in a case for gig? Amazing.

Where I live there really isn't a huge pool of work opportunities. Having said that, what I hear the most from others is why they won't work with certain drummers any longer or other musicians for that matter.

EGO is the single most complaint I hear about.

Being likable with a strong work ethic to go the extra mile are other traits that matter to people wanting to hire you.

I just read two letters I received from song writers I did some work with a while back. These few traits were mentioned the most and are probably the reason I got the calls in the first place. It doesn't really matter how good of a musician you are; if people don't like you or your ego it's going to be a lonely path you walk.

My work ethic
My backbeat
My live sound
+ I own a really nice PA & lighting rig.

All within a local context of course. Outside of that, I'm just another "never has been" out of retirement & seeking some fun.

Back