Injury moving hardware-time to rethink setup?

badjujumatt

Here is the deal-my band gigged St Pattys weekend. Going into the gig, I had a lower back strain, but was able to load up at home, load in, and play a great show on Friday. Saturday, I was sore, and layed low all day. The St Pattys gig was awesome, but my range of motion was definitely not normal. On load out, I made sure that I was lifting with the legs, minimizing twisting, etc. Everything was cool until I got to the hardware case. I have a rolling "coffin" that holds all of my hardware, except for the rack. This thing is heavy, and I usually tip it over until it hits the tailgate of the truck, then slide it up and in. This motion caused a pop in my back, and immediate increased pain. To sum it up, my back is trashed and I am going to the Doc, physical therapy, etc now for 2 weeks. I went through a similar situation a few years ago, but without the injury and at that time I decided to change my hardware config to ease the load in/out.

My current set up is a Gibralter rack, in a rack bag; all other hardware (Pearl stands, dbl brace), throne, etc in a Enduro trap case. The rack is great, the issue is the trap case weight. I am trying to figure out how to reduce the gear weight without simply buying another case to haul around. Simplify if possible. I am not ruling out anything: new hardware, drum set config, etc is all on the table. My set for gigging is a 5 piece, I carry 3 crash cymbals, ride, HH, splash etc. All my drums are in hard cases.

Option 1-simplify the set and ditch the rack. I could go to a 4 piece, 2 crash cymbals, ride and HH. If I do this, then I add the weight of the tri pod's to the hardware case. I wouldnt have to haul the rack, but the hardware case will be unchanged.

Option 2-simplify the set, ditch the rack, buy new stands. If I do this, what stands would offer minimum weight without losing stability? I havent done the hardware shopping thing in quite a while.

Option 3-keep everything as-is, but purchase another trap case and split the load. This would be the easiest solution, but I dont think any of us want to add gear to the load in/out process do we?

I am at a crossroads here and really need some help. I cannot go through this again.

Matt

The lightest set up that I currently own is this one.
Ludwig Club Date. The drums have less hardware and they are lighter than standard drums.
Bass drum mounted tom and ride cymbal with light PDP cymbal stands.
Standard weight snare and hat stand.
This kit is a joy to haul and play.
I have had back trouble for many years.

Attachments

• 0324021409.jpg
    0324021409.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 399
You know you're never going to be happy without a rack, once you're used to gigging with one.

My rack bag has enough room for every piece of hardware you and I own togetther. :) Even though it has wheels, with my gear in it, it requires two people to lift it into and out of my Suburban. While the convenience of having everything in one bag is appealing on paper, I recently spilt my load; I now carry only my rack bars, HH stand and 3 mic booms in my rollin rack bag, and found a nice rolling duffle in which I carry cymbal arms, throne, snare basket, etc.

I did that same thing with my amp rack. I have the mixers and amps, that would fit in a single rack, split into 3 separate racks that I simply stack at gigs, but am able to transport them myself.

You said you didn't want to ditch your trap case itself. But, if it's very heavy just by itself, you might want to consider a bag instead, which could contribute significantly to weight reduction.

Edit: I can't imagine you having too much hardware weight-wise, once you have the rack in a rack bag. I just looked up your trap case. I can see why you're having problems. It's not the weight; the thing is just too big to lift by yourself, even if you don't fill it to the brim. I also can't imagine you have enough cymbal booms and such that would require something so big.

To give you an idea of my current rack setup, I run 3 rack toms, 5 cymbals, legless HH stand, electric snare trigger, and float my snare off my rack. Once all my rack bars are in my rack bag, I get everything else in a Nautica rolling duffle which I believe is 26" long, including the seat of my HUGE Tama throne. Is there something that you tote that requires you to use such a large trap case? Here's link to the bag I use, cost $40:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeaABnx0ITU

Here's a larger version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6XQ_YTq_dQ&feature=relmfu

Much easier than a trap case. ;-)

Last edited:
Whether you use a rack, or use stands, make several trips .... don't set yourself up for heavy lifting ..... and roll ......​
Since I got my cart, no more ball busting for me.​

Attachments

• Multi-CartR10NF3 [500].JPG
    Multi-CartR10NF3 [500].JPG
    176.1 KB · Views: 334
badjujumatt:

I just re-read your post. You say you have a rack, but you also mention other double-braced Pearl stands. Might I ask what they are? If you make efficient use of your rack, you should have hardly any stands on the floor worth mentioning. I got rid of all my stand bases years ago. The only base I now have on the floor is the base to my throne. Not only did that lighten me up, it reduced the number of pieces to carry. Maybe that's another angle to look at.

For example, a 24" rack wing can serve to replace 3-4 stand bases, and weighs less that a single stand base. Without the stand bases, you also have less pieces.

You have 5 cymbals like me. Another option could be to fly straight cymbal arms off of rack uprights, if your uprights are tall enough like mine are, at 48". With Gibraltar ratcheting multi-clamps, you don't need wings, nor do you even need cymbal boom arm assemblies, just the top section off a standard cymbal stand, because the ratcheting multi-clamps will accommodate for any height are angle you need. So, again, while a reducing cymbal boom arm assembly to just a straight arm doesn't sound like much, over 5 cymbals, it adds up.

There are all kinds of little things that can add up to significant weight savings, as will employing different weight distribution schemes. For example, I wanted to get rid of my snare stand base. I already had a 30" rack bar laying around, so I cut the legs off my snare stand and clamped that to the wing. Now, just the snare basket post hits the ground. While I could have gotten an extension clamp arm instead of the wing, the weight between the wing and the arm are probably the same, but the wing allows me to distribute that little bit of weight better across my rack bag, rather that concentrate the weight in a smaller bag, you know what I mean? ;-)

Last edited:
I have a rolling hand cart at every gig. I cannot live without it, I cannot imagine any gigging drummer humping gear without one!!

Whether you use a rack, or use stands, make several trips .... don't set yourself up for heavy lifting ..... and roll ......​
Since I got my cart, no more ball busting for me.​

You may be on to something here. I agree with you 100%, the rack is just awesome. Maybe I need to ditch my trap case and my current rack bag (no wheels, just handles btw) and re-distribute the gear/weight.

You know you're never going to be happy without a rack, once you're used to gigging with one.

My rack bag has enough room for every piece of hardware you and I own togetther. :) Even though it has wheels, with my gear in it, it requires two people to lift it into and out of my Suburban. While the convenience of having everything in one bag is appealing on paper, I recently spilt my load; I now carry only my rack bars, HH stand and 3 mic booms in my rollin rack bag, and found a nice rolling duffle in which I carry cymbal arms, throne, snare basket, etc.

I did that same thing with my amp rack. I have the mixers and amps, that would fit in a single rack, split into 3 separate racks that I simply stack at gigs, but am able to transport them myself.

You said you didn't want to ditch your trap case itself. But, if it's very heavy just by itself, you might want to consider a bag instead, which could contribute significantly to weight reduction.

Edit: I can't imagine you having too much hardware weight-wise, once you have the rack in a rack bag. I just looked up your trap case. I can see why you're having problems. It's not the weight; the thing is just too big to lift by yourself, even if you don't fill it to the brim. I also can't imagine you have enough cymbal booms and such that would require something so big.

To give you an idea of my current rack setup, I run 3 rack toms, 5 cymbals, legless HH stand, electric snare trigger, and float my snare off my rack. Once all my rack bars are in my rack bag, I get everything else in a Nautica rolling duffle which I believe is 26" long, including the seat of my HUGE Tama throne. Is there something that you tote that requires you to use such a large trap case? Here's link to the bag I use, cost $40:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeaABnx0ITU

Here's a larger version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6XQ_YTq_dQ&feature=relmfu

Much easier than a trap case. ;-)

I have an 9 piece kit, 4 hanging toms, 2 floor toms, 2 snares and bass drum, 8 cymbals plus hats, tamborine, jam block and cow bell and every thing is mounted on 4 stands + 1 high hat stand, 1 snare stand and throne. I dont even break any hardware down, just fold the legs in and my riser folds in half to become my trap case on wheels.One guy can handle it most times, 2 guys for stairs or loading into anything higher than the trailer. Set up / tear down time is about 20 min each way including mic set up as I have a color coded drum snake with each set of wires cut to length and mics are mounted on their own set of stands which also stay full length and go in the roller case with the vocal mic and instrument mic stands. As long as there are at least 2 of us from the second we roll into the parking lot we can be set up ready to play in less than 2 hours which includes lugging everything in, setting up the PA and lighting and can be tore down and in the trailer in less than 1 hour after we finish the last song.

I listed the dbl brace Pearl hardware just in case someone suggested that I ditch the rack. The dbl brace stands are WAY heavier than my current set up.

I have a Gibralter rack, with 3 curved bars. I also have a pipe cutter, and have trimmed this baby down over the years to an exact set up. I also got rid of the 2 aft feet on the rack (that make the T) and only have straight verticle supports on the two back legs of the rack. On top od each of the 4 verticle legs, I added cymbal clamps, so my cymbal stands mount right inside of these tubes and I dont need the extra brackets on the rack. The onle touch points on the floor are the rack feet.

badjujumatt:

I just re-read your post. You say you have a rack, but you also mention other double-braced Pearl stands. Might I ask what they are?

If you make efficient use of your rack, you should have hardly any stands on the floor worth mentioning. I got rid of all my stand bases years ago. The only base I now have on the floor is the base to my throne. Not only did that lighten me up, it reduced the number of pieces to carry. Maybe that's another angle to look at.

For example, a 24" rack wing can serve to replace 3-4 stand bases, and weighs less that a single stand base. Without the stand bases, you also have less pieces.

You have 5 cymbals like me. Another option could be to fly straight cymbal arms off of rack uprights, if your uprights are tall enough like mine are, at 48". With Gibraltar ratcheting multi-clamps, you don't need wings, nor do you even need cymbal boom arm assemblies, just the top section off a standard cymbal stand, because the ratcheting multi-clamps will accommodate for any height are angle you need. So, again, while a reducing cymbal boom arm assembly to just a straight arm doesn't sound like much, over 5 cymbals, it adds up.

There are all kinds of little things that can add up to significant weight savings, as will employing different weight distribution schemes. For example, I wanted to get rid of my snare stand base. I already had a 30" rack bar laying around, so I cut the legs off my snare stand and clamped that to the wing. Now, just the snare basket post hits the ground. While I could have gotten an extension clamp arm instead of the wing, the weight between the wing and the arm are probably the same, but the wing allows me to distribute that little bit of weight better across my rack bag, rather that concentrate the weight in a smaller bag, you know what I mean? ;-)

I would get another bag and split up the hardware . Two trips better than a sore back

You may be on to something here. I agree with you 100%, the rack is just awesome. Maybe I need to ditch my trap case and my current rack bag (no wheels, just handles btw) and re-distribute the gear/weight.
Dude, you GOTTA check out this rack bag. It's the cat's meow when it comes to rack bags. Killer material, solid bottom, wheels, handles everywhere you can imagine, and MUCH easier to lift than any trap case. I reviewed it, itemized everything I used to put in it, as well as documented everything with pics on the thread linked to below. Read my posts in the thread starting from the top.

Note that I have since lightened my load considerably, and carry much less than I used to in it, but still use it and it still is like new, even though I used to carry well over 120 lbs. in it. Wait, you better not look, 'cause you're going to want this bag! :) And, best of all you can get it new for less that what you can sell your case for. In fact, you can probably get this bag and another bag to distribute your total weight with the proceeds from your trap case! Of course, there's my finder's fee. ;-)

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79093

I listed the dbl brace Pearl hardware just in case someone suggested that I ditch the rack. The dbl brace stands are WAY heavier than my current set up.

I have a Gibralter rack, with 3 curved bars. I also have a pipe cutter, and have trimmed this baby down over the years to an exact set up. I also got rid of the 2 aft feet on the rack (that make the T) and only have straight verticle supports on the two back legs of the rack. On top od each of the 4 verticle legs, I added cymbal clamps, so my cymbal stands mount right inside of these tubes and I dont need the extra brackets on the rack. The onle touch points on the floor are the rack feet.
I have mic booms in the tops of my uprights, so looks like we're both being quite efficient. :)

I also have three 48" curved bars, but I only run one now.

I'm sure you've already thought about this, but thought I might bring it up, since you have been forced into a position that warrants a bit of re-thinking, and maybe your creative side will kick in even more now that you have a real need, you know what I mean?

That said, do you even need vertical supports, aft? On my left (I'm right-handed), I now run a straight 30" wing. I cut the legs off my hi-hat stand and clamp it to the wing. More than enough support for an overweight elf sumo wrestler to do chin-ups on that wing! :)

I run a 24" on my right, which supports a big ride and a China just fine without a vertical support, and I could easily add a new more items, if I wanted to.

I just sold my 2 short t-leg assemblies last week, just so that I wouldn't be tempted to once again build a jungle jim out of all my rack pieces, and I've collected quite a few rack pieces over the past 30 years! In fact, I have over $800 in clamps alone!

Back injuries really suck. I hope it gets better. Have you considered a chiropractor? I've had the same one for 15 years now and my back health has been great despite my ocassion heavy liftIng. Maybe something to think about about you solve your gear weight dilemma. I agree with others - I think you're just carrying more than you should move yourself. The breaking it up into smaller loads makes more sense than totally re- thinking how you should set up. After all, you were injured on the load and unload portion of your trip anyway. I have a smaller trap case but I still put this in a small hardware bag. I would rather load two smaller and light thIngs instead of one big heavy one.

That rack ag is awesome! Its on my list, I may get another one and sell my Enduro and the Gibralter rack bag. THANKS!

Dude, you GOTTA check out this rack bag. It's the cat's meow when it comes to rack bags. Killer material, solid bottom, wheels, handles everywhere you can imagine, and MUCH easier to lift than any trap case. I reviewed it, itemized everything I used to put in it, as well as documented everything with pics on the thread linked to below. Read my posts in the thread starting from the top.

Note that I have since lightened my load considerably, and carry much less than I used to in it, but still use it and it still is like new, even though I used to carry well over 120 lbs. in it. Wait, you better not look, 'cause you're going to want this bag! :) And, best of all you can get it new for less that what you can sell your case for. In fact, you can probably get this bag and another bag to distribute your total weight with the proceeds from your trap case! Of course, there's my finder's fee. ;-)

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79093

Back