Drum Transcriptions online.

Not only takes the fun out, but also potentially takes the accuracy out as well. How does one know if a part online - especially if it's being given away - is accurate? When I need parts written out, I do it myself. :)

Bermuda

There's software I use called Transcribe! that slows down the music while maintaining the pitch, so it doesn't sound too weird. It makes it easier to transcribe on your own. Nothing beats getting out some paper and a pencil. You'll learn so much more doing it yourself.

Nothing beats getting out some paper and a pencil. You'll learn so much more doing it yourself.

The cool part is, writing is a large part of the learning process. You're absorbing the part while you're writing it, so that the notation ends up being more of a reminder than a piece of music that you're trying to decipher for the first time.

Also, scrutinizing parts just makes you a better listener, and better able to pick out parts in the future as needed. When you do it enough, you get pretty good at it.

Bermuda

Given some of the notation style differs from place to place, it can be confusing at times. I have Guitar Pro 5 which allows you to create drum tracks (albeit lame ones). So I go through the notation and create a corresponding drum tab, which I can play back and learn from. Given the notation shows all the note values, accents, etc. it isn't very hard to get an accurate tab. The new Guitar Pro 6 sucks for drum tracks from what I've experienced and you can probably find a free tab program that lets you create drum tracks.

I have the following four books that I'm using this method with:

4-way coordination - By Marvin Dahlgren and Elliot Fine
Encyclopedia of Double Bass Drumming - By Bobby Rondinelli and Michael. Lauren
Progressive steps to Syncopation for the modern drummer - By. Ted Reed
Stick control for the snare drummer - By George L. Stone

The Ted Reed one is a bit of a pain to figure out at times given whoever wrote the notation didn't have the greatest penmanship. Not to mention that I don't think these books use the same setup for notation, meaning which drum goes on which line, etc. But the nice thing is the examples can be applied to any part of the kit.

It's nice to be able to hear what is being played clearly with no other instruments, usually removes most of the confusion.

Edit - I'm also going to check out Pat Petrillo's DVD - Learn to read rhythms better. Looks like a good one.

Back