juat bought new set...what brand?

johnwesley

Silver Member
As you may remember, I just restored an old CB700 kit that I got for free. Well I sold it to a guy for $250 and bought these on Craigslist for $75. They'd already been rewrapped and stained. 22" bass, 13" tom and 16" floor tom. The bass hoops are metal, and all hardware is pretty substantial. Shells are 6 or 7 ply maple. (I think). Put new PS3 heads on all and they sound great!! The bass is 10 lug, the toms are 6. There's no badging on them so I have no idea what brand they are, but the lugs look like old school PDP (Pacific). Any thoughts after looking at the photos what brand they might be? They match the new oak/maple stave snare I just got perfectly.

Attachments

• blonde set 4.jpg
    blonde set 4.jpg
    214.8 KB · Views: 369
  • blonde set 5.jpg
    blonde set 5.jpg
    216.4 KB · Views: 338
  • blonde set.jpg
    blonde set.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 337
The kit and hardware looks like my old Ludwig Accent Combo. Same BD rims, same lugs. BD claws are a little different. Tom mounting hardware looks the same.

The snare lugs look like a PDP.

The kit and hardware looks like my old Ludwig Accent Combo. Same BD rims, same lugs. BD claws are a little different. Tom mounting hardware looks the same.
The snare lugs look like a PDP.

The snare lugs are PDP. Snare is a custom stave and that's what I had available to put on it.......SO...Ludwig Accent eh? I was told those drums are trash, but these seem pretty nice, and sound great. .....HMMMMM

Thanks for the input KamaK

I was told those drums are trash, but these seem pretty nice, and sound great.

"Trash but sounds nice".... Sums up the Accent perfectly. The BD is it's best asset, and can be made to sound wonderful. The toms are decent sounding but big and have a fairly narrow tuning range. The snare they ship with is pretty bad.

I have one as my beater-kit. I 'think' it's all poplar.

Even if it's something different, nice score!

Getting those stands with the kit also, $75 is a pretty d**n good deal. EASILY worth it. Good job!

With a kit like that, there's no point to determining the brand. They're all the same. The only difference is the badge, because that's the only thing the Chinese factory changes. They make an inexpensive kit with poplar shells and cheap, pot-metal hardware. CB ring up and order 1,500 of them, so they slap the CB badge and logo bass head on 1,500 kits. Shortly thereafter, Sound Percussion ring up, and they slap the Sound badge and logo bass head on 1,500 kits, having changed precisely nothing about the kit itself.

Handy tip: If you can make a mark with your thumbnail in the wood with little effort, it ain't maple, it's poplar. I presume you can identify mahogany/luan by sight.

NB: That's not knocking such kits. I've had several, of various brands, and after some work made them sound and look suh-weet. In fact, I enjoyed the idea of playing a sweet-sounding and looking kit for which I paid practically nothing. If I still lived Stateside I'd start a hobby business buying up cheap, trashed, entry-level kits and and refurbishing them.

The problem with restoring these types of kits as a "hobby/business" I would think would be all the Mr Noodles you would be eating to stay alive. Even after a full lustre restoration, they are still an economy kit and no one is going to pay you for your time effort tools and material. A $300 drum kit will never become an $800 drum kit, that is harsh reality. The amount of money you would spend on sandpaper, abrasive discs, and paints or Urethane might be the only cost recovered, so what is your time and labour worth?

Thanks kids for all the input. KamaK, you're right about the bass drum. It is very good. Toms are too, but haven't experimented with tuning except to get 'em up to playability. As for making money restoring cheap kits, well I never really thought about it. Just happened to do it so the drums didn't become landfill. It's enjoyable and not unlike the antique restorations I've done. Only "problem" I have now is visiting drummers are asking what I charge to tune up their heads. I do seem to have a knack for making the shells/heads sound pretty good. Thanks again for your knowledge and advice.

And they can be yours for 800.00 lol
No badges, no air vents. Were destroyed taking them off for the re-staining.

You can easily replace the missing grommets. If you don't know how to do it, there is a great you tube video showing how easy it is.

The problem with restoring these types of kits as a "hobby/business" I would think would be all the Mr Noodles you would be eating to stay alive. Even after a full lustre restoration, they are still an economy kit and no one is going to pay you for your time effort tools and material. A $300 drum kit will never become an $800 drum kit, that is harsh reality. The amount of money you would spend on sandpaper, abrasive discs, and paints or Urethane might be the only cost recovered, so what is your time and labour worth?

That's why it'd be a hobby business. I know I'd never make enough dosh to live on. It'd be for the joy of keeping these instruments from being destroyed and the smug satisfaction of continually proving that cheap kits can look and sound awesome. =D

Back