help making wood acrylic hybrid.

So I want to make a hybrid wood acrylic drum set for my custom kit. And I know I need a router and I assume I'm routing the inside of the wood and outer acrylic and epoxy to make the seal. Anyone confirm? And how to make a perfect ring so it will fit?. And no I'm not going to truth or Sjc I wanna build my own

Thanks much appreciated

The reason you got a poor response last time you asked this question was because of how you worded your opening post.

The answers you seek are not straight forward, but nor is it rocket science. You will benefit from using any form of lap joint that allows a degree of movement between the two materials. The amount of movement you need to allow for depends on your choice of construction, specifically the wooden portion of the shell. Solid wood forms will contract and/or swell more than a multiple ply forms. Also think about the lug forms, which portion they will mount on, or possibly straddle both.

Fit is usually via mild interference or "snug" when new, with the lap joint augmented such that the most likely shrink element is catered for. If you're just going to slice up some Keller shells & use tube lugs to straddle the joint, I wouldn't worry about a bond too much, just get a snug fit. You could consider using a bonding agent, but that carries risk of splitting if there's excess shrinkage of one element. Alternatively, some form of flexible bond or gasket can be employed, but that adds dead mass to a construction with an already inherently poor resonance profile. Fit between components needs to be snug in the long term, wether by bond or not, so as to prevent rattle/buzz issues.

Before doing all of this, consider wether you're really equipped to do so, or wether you're better off placing your money with a company who's already done the hard work, & is prepared to warrant that work.. Also consider why you want a hybrid shell in the first place. Have you a sonic basis for your decision, or is the main reason cosmetic? - It usually is.

Ok and a lap joint is what I suspected and explained previously? And yes cosmetic the entire kit is star wars themed..every washer and gasket. And I will have wrap on the wood portion so the lug position I'm not worried about.

Have you ever made a hybrid before?

The reason you got a poor response last time you asked this question was because of how you worded your opening post.

The answers you seek are not straight forward, but nor is it rocket science. You will benefit from using any form of lap joint that allows a degree of movement between the two materials. The amount of movement you need to allow for depends on your choice of construction, specifically the wooden portion of the shell. Solid wood forms will contract and/or swell more than a multiple ply forms. Also think about the lug forms, which portion they will mount on, or possibly straddle both.

Fit is usually via mild interference or "snug" when new, with the lap joint augmented such that the most likely shrink element is catered for. If you're just going to slice up some Keller shells & use tube lugs to straddle the joint, I wouldn't worry about a bond too much, just get a snug fit. You could consider using a bonding agent, but that carries risk of splitting if there's excess shrinkage of one element. Alternatively, some form of flexible bond or gasket can be employed, but that adds dead mass to a construction with an already inherently poor resonance profile. Fit between components needs to be snug in the long term, wether by bond or not, so as to prevent rattle/buzz issues.

Before doing all of this, consider wether you're really equipped to do so, or wether you're better off placing your money with a company who's already done the hard work, & is prepared to warrant that work.. Also consider why you want a hybrid shell in the first place. Have you a sonic basis for your decision, or is the main reason cosmetic? - It usually is.

Could I just use the longest tension rods? It has two rack toms two floor toms and a bass and snare FYI

And yes cosmetic the entire kit is star wars themed
My expertise is making drums sound good, so I'm probably the wrong person to advise you if cosmetic considerations are the priority.

And I will have wrap on the wood portion so the lug position I'm not worried about.
& that makes a difference why exactly?

I will have wrap on the wood portion
Then why not save yourself a ton of constructional hassle & just wrap the required portions of a complete acrylic shell?

Have you ever made a hybrid before?
Yes.

Maybe I am mis reading this. Are you talking about an inner wood shell with an acrylic shell wrapping it? I'm kinda lost.

I'm talking about how to make a hybrid drum shell.... Has anyone build one. I just need to know how to joint them together...details. That's all I need...no instructions online

Cuz I have some carbon fiber and exotic inner wood veneer I wanna put in
My expertise is making drums sound good, so I'm probably the wrong person to advise you if cosmetic considerations are the priority.

& that makes a difference why exactly?

Then why not save yourself a ton of constructional hassle & just wrap the required portions of a complete acrylic shell?

Yes.

Back