Drum Competitions

jeffwj

Platinum Member
I noticed that there have been some people coming onto the forum to promote themselves in competitions, mainly the Hit-Like a Girl contest. While there is nothing wrong with getting your name out there, I think that sometimes it turns into a popularity contest. Yesterday, I even noticed "If you vote for me in this contest - I'll vote for you in that contest." What's next, vote for me and I'll send you a free toaster?

So, I thought I would try to even things out by starting a thread where we could discuss some entries from those who are not on the forum. I liked this person's groove
http://www.hitlikeagirl2012.com/videos/brianna-sig

After I watched the video, I paged down and noticed that she was from PA, my original home state. But, I do not know her at all. Just stumbled upon the entry today. I liked the groove. It could have had more structure - built more in intensity. But nonetheless, nice playing.

So, anyone else that we should check out?

Jeff

Last edited:
To be honest, when people promote themselves here for contests, I usually end up voting for other people instead.

I don't vote because they asked, I vote for the better people.

To be honest, when people promote themselves here for contests, I usually end up voting for other people instead.

I don't vote because they asked, I vote for the better people.

Truthfully, that's why I started looking at videos other than the ones posted on this forum. I saw some really good players with low votes - and some who were ok players but good promoters (with higher votes). So this thread is an attempt to find the "better people."

Jeff

A lot of 'competitions' do end up being popularity contests. Hopefully there are enough like-minded people who actually vote for talent, and/or that final decisions are made by an objective 3rd party who knows how to vote for talent.

If someone wins by simply getting the most friends to vote, and they don't have much talent, then not only the competition looks bad, the 'winner' looks even worse.

Bermuda

A lot of 'competitions' do end up being popularity contests. Hopefully there are enough like-minded people who actually vote for talent, and/or that final decisions are made by an objective 3rd party who knows how to vote for talent.

If someone wins by simply getting the most friends to vote, and they don't have much talent, then not only the competition looks bad, the 'winner' looks even worse.

Bermuda

totally agreed

these competitions in my opinion are quite ridiculous...but they exist and are a decent way to get your name out there if you are a good player I guess.

I definitely dont agree with all these cymbal companies ...A-HEM! cough Meinl cough cough....giving deals to these youtube sensations because 500 little girls watched their video a million times cus they look sexy in a tank top and have a cool hair cut

I think the only way a drum or any musical competition can take place is live in person with a panel of qualified judges looking for specific things

even then its all subjective

is Bernard Purdie going to beat out a chops master like Eric Moore in a flashy drum off competition?

no

but I would vote for "pretty" Purdie every single time

I've seen a ton of these over the years - guitar comps, bass comps, drum comps. But I think they're flawed for the same reasons.

You know what would be awesome? How about a drum comp where you have blind judging. Each contestant uploads a clip no shorter than a minute-and-a-half, and no longer than two minutes, of AUDIO ONLY, DRUMS ONLY.

Then you're only identified by a random number - "contestant entry #41" or something.

One day of voting with no previous information and identification available.

Rated on a scale of 1-4, with 4 being the best.

Each judge must listen to a minimum of 10 random clips, and has to listen to each for a minimum of 45 seconds before casting a vote.

It'd probably never happen, but it sounds cool, doesn't it?

I definitely dont agree with all these cymbal companies ...A-HEM! cough Meinl cough cough....giving deals to these youtube sensations because 500 little girls watched their video a million times cus they look sexy in a tank top and have a cool hair cut

*cough*Ricky Ficarelli*cough*

Although, he does actually go on a tour and does a little work for Nickelodeon and Disney, possibly even studio work, and he was the drummer for some famous rapper's daughter's song....

*cough*Ricky Ficarelli*cough*

Although, he does actually go on a tour and does a little work for Nickelodeon and Disney, possibly even studio work, and he was the drummer for some famous rapper's daughter's song....

I could definitely name a few but wont

its quite ridiculous really

Im not saying some of them are not really good players

but you used to have to go out and do the work before you got a product deal...not the other way around

Im not saying some of them are not really good players but you used to have to go out and do the work before you got a product deal...not the other way around

Well, consider the brands. I blame the companies - almost always the smaller ones who think a cutesy YouTube video amounts to anything - for believing it's viable marketing.

Seriously, would anyone here look into a particular brand because an unknown (but good-looking) drummer used it on a YouTube video?

Most of these 'kids' are going to grow up, look back, and say "DOH!"

Bermuda

Well, consider the brands. I blame the companies - almost always the smaller ones who think a cutesy YouTube video amounts to anything - for believing it's viable marketing.

Seriously, would anyone here look into a particular brand because an unknown (but good-looking) drummer used it on a YouTube video?

Bermuda

Does that mean you find TRX "laughable" or "silly"?

http://trxcymbals.com/rising-stars/

Bermuda

absolutely

shame on the companies

sucks because I love and use Meinl and am in negotiations on a deal with them

I have gone about it the right way though in my opinion...Ive worked my ass off touring and recording for years and still am

their roster to me is strange

some amazingly sick players... accomplished guys

then some of these kids

not sure whats up with that

Yes, it's very much a "popularity" thang. You get enough votes, you win. You have enough "friends, family members, get the whole girl scout troop/church congregation/your co-workers" to vote for you, you win. The people who vote for you don't even have to watch your video ... they just have to vote for you.​
It's cool that, it gets peoples names out there. Exposure, promotion, etc. But it is not, in-and-of-itself, talent based.​
I've been to wet t-shirt contests that were more "talent" based.​
But once you understand the nature of the beast, it's all good. No harm, no foul. It is what it is.​
Just like the movie awards, with the "majority" of judges (those members who vote) being white males over 50 years of age ..... you get what you get. A point of view from just one segment of society, deeming which movie/actor/actress will be #1. Makes for a great party. Eye candy for People/Time/Us magazines, etc. ..... but not exactly valid .... as far as "best of 2011".​

One time we did a "battle of the bands". Let's just say that the best music did not win.

Does that mean you find TRX "laughable" or "silly"?

Hmm, let me see if I used those words or anything like them...

Nope, sure didn't.

But to answer your exact question, no.

Bermuda

These competitions are not "talent based" because they are primarily a marketing tool for the promoters/supporters. They're not interested in talent. The prize may look attractive but it's still a fairly cheap form of marketing. The entrants do all the promotional work. I may be wrong, but I suspect anyone leaving their details in the comments box (name and email address "required") will soon find some marketing material in their inbox.

even then its all subjective

is Bernard Purdie going to beat out a chops master like Eric Moore in a flashy drum off competition?

no

but I would vote for "pretty" Purdie every single time

Exactly, and that's why I don't care for arts competitions. There are always so many extramusical factors plus, as in pop and movies, there's a tendency to favour the shallow and spectacular over the sincere and lyrical. At least WFD is totally skill based with no pretence of assessing musicality.

I saw an entry the other day in the HLAG comp that I thought was excellent but I forgot who it was now. She hadn't posted here (thank Deity). One thing the comp does highlight is how many girls are out there these days who are good drummers.

Back