My Goal To Pursue: Put Together A Ron Tutt Ludwig Kit But...

What I'd suggest you do, if you are at all handy, is get the kit piece by piece and then rewrap it to match that kit $5000 is a lot to drop on a kit all at one time Spread the cost out buying orphans that are the right size and play layup, and you won't feel the pinch as much.

Good advice. I lost my kit in a flood recently and money is tight. Piece by piece building up is exactly how to do it without feeling overwhelmed at the cost.

Also the likelihood of finding a vintage kit that size, in that configuration is pretty slim. I'm sure there may be parts that may take a while, but it's a Ludwig kit, so there's plenty of vintage drums out there.

It looks like that's what I'm going to have to do - but, even with money as tight as it is and me not in the best of health and no gigs coming in (that's the only way I get to spend any money is from the money I make doing gigs -well, that and around $50/month to do whatever I wish to do with it - I reckon I'll start saving - and my monthly check - SSI - goes towards my living expenses & such, it's still going to be a huge mountain to climb to get this done. I've thought about asking my pastor if the church where Mom & Dad attend would help out but - I don't want my mom getting pissed at me (long story but.....let's just say that she wasn't blessed with a good temper and I don't have the option of getting out on my own). But, I promised myself that if this was the last thing I ever did during my lifetime, I wanted to make it a reality.

EDITED TO ADD: I just sent a PM via FB to the guy who bought Tutt's 1974 COV drum kit if he would somehow help a brother-in-need out that doesn't have the financial stability he does (he does a "Highwaymen" tribute gig as Willie & also acts as Tutt for the TCB Experience band. And he's a damn good drummer!!!

I'll let ya'll know what he says......he'll probably reject me. :(

Last edited:
UPDATE:

I sent Michael a PM via FB last night explaining my situation with my finances and the fact that there's no way I could ever borrow $5,000 to give to him to have a replica Tutt blue sparkle Ludwig kit built and asked him whether he would consider just doing this one for me for free? He at first said, "No", but when I explained that it doesn't have to be next week or next month - just whenever he has time - he relented and said that he would. I thought about it last night some more and I came up with the thought that, if I can, I'll cover shipping costs for him for the kit (I'm sure most of ya'll have seen it and know that it's a big kit).

I know this probably isn't the absolute correct way to go to get this done but - it's the only way I'm able to do it.

Back