It's your bass drum.

"Can you make it sound better?"

Not without setting it on fire.

Attachments

• THAT kit.jpg
    THAT kit.jpg
    390.8 KB · Views: 349
Re: Conversation - desk to stage :)

To be fair even a perfectly well-tuned drum sans laundry can sound horrible in monitors without any EQ, especially if it's a single dynamic mic on/in the drum.

Re: Conversation - desk to stage :)

To be fair even a perfectly well-tuned drum sans laundry can sound horrible in monitors without any EQ, especially if it's a single dynamic mic on/in the drum.
Agreed Ben. This was mic'd from the batter head (the great "leveller"). Monitor was post fade, so already had the "benefit" of improvement. A conversation preceded this where the "artist" refused to use a replacement drum or have it "optimised" in any way. The custom 6 claw reso hoop option didn't exactly help ;)

You can't "set it on fire".
The bass drum won't burn.
It's not made out of real wood. And the pillow and blanket are fireproof............

An 8 lug drum with 2 missing? What?

Oh my...

It's because of photos like these that I always take any "drummer vs. the idiot sound man" threads with a huge grain of salt.

Also note upside down tom - not that it made much difference. Snare was educational ;)

I am not sure whether you mean it was a learning experience to figure out the best way to mike and EQ it, or that it came out of a school snare drum kit which is usually marked up horrendously and sold to clueless parents of primary schoolers, only to land on the Craigslist within 6 months...

I don't understand how someone could in all seriousness use a set like that on that gig. Do they really not care THAT much? Or are they just that short on dough? It's like taking a plastic guitar with 4 strings to a gig. Really?

LOL how tall is that guy? His HH looks like it's 2 feet above the snare!

Also, his bass drum looks like a washer dryer on spin cycle with all that laundry in there!

Andy, getting that drum to sound good is easy... All you need to do is.....

zkBMm68.jpg

I did my good deed last night at a rehersal for my buddy's band. Sitting in with them on Sat. The bass drum was a cheapie 6 lug with egg carton taped to the head but it had a Superkick batter head.

I took the egg carton off, tuned the head a little above JAW and muffled the stock reso with a strip of an old t-shirt under the head. Sounded much better when I finished. They offered to bring the kit to the gig, I politely declined.

So, you're not going to tell us how the playing on that kit was?

Did you happen to mention to the drummer of that kit that there's some pretty looking wood drums made in a cottage in a bucolic setting that he should really check out?

Well, at least it's his kit and he has it the way he likes it. What I hate is when I have to play kits like that.

Also, his bass drum looks like a washer dryer on spin cycle with all that laundry in there!

Haga!

Back