Castanets

tcurtis

I'm doing Little Shop of Horrors in the spring and have come across the song Mushnik and Son. I'll be playing both kit and percussion parts so I'm trying to figure out how to play the castanets part with sticks in hand.

I could go the electronics route, but would like to avoid it if I can. So far I'm thinking I could try an LP Castanet Machine (http://www.lpmusic.com/products/castanets/castanet-machine/) though I'm not sure it would sound all that great played with sticks. I could attach a small strip of rubber to soften the stick hit, but that might change the sound of the castanet.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

If you don't have time to put down the sticks and pick up the castanets, a castanet machine would be the way to go-- just figure out how to play it with your hands while holding the sticks. Don't hit it with sticks-- use your back fingers or something. There's no special technique required for it.

I think it would be impossible. The strings of the castanet go over the thumb and the castanet is sort of cradled in the palm of the hand and is played with the fingers: there wouldn't be a spare bit of hand to hold a stick with. They also take a few moments to put on and take off, and obviously you have to do one hand first and then the other.

I think it would be impossible. The strings of the castanet go over the thumb and the castanet is sort of cradled in the palm of the hand and is played with the fingers: there wouldn't be a spare bit of hand to hold a stick with. They also take a few moments to put on and take off, and obviously you have to do one hand first and then the other.

This is absolutely true. I'd get a machine, or at least castanets with handles.

Back