Difference Between Gretsch Renown and USA Custom Bass Drum Claws

Much has been written about the differences between the Renown Maple and the USA Custom. I won't repeat here. I recently posted on the cut down Precision did on my Renown Maple kick drum. I was originally going to replace the Renown lugs and the bass drum claws with USA Custom lugs and claws. I even ordered a USA Custom lug to make sure it would fit. What I discovered is that there is absolutely no difference I can see between the Renown and USA custom lugs other than the screws. I actually like the Renown screws better because I can use a phillips head screwdriver. The quality of the metal used on the screws seems the same. But that's a subject for another post . . . this one is about the bass drum claws.

The Renown claws seem cheap in comparison. They are probably either stamped or injection molded metal pieces. They have a rubber gasket that often falls off when you remove the claws.

The USA Custom claws are heavy and solid. They are die cast and they have felt lining that is glued into the claw. No comparison.

Perhaps this is like putting custom rims on a Honda Civic. But, whatever, I like them. I think of it more like upgrading from hubcaps to metal wheels at the dealership. Now I'm killing the analogy. Besides, these will probably go on my custom build when I get around to having Precision cut edges and drill holes on Keller shells.

Attachments

• IMG_1447-1.JPG
    IMG_1447-1.JPG
    61 KB · Views: 463
  • IMG_1448.JPG
    IMG_1448.JPG
    40.5 KB · Views: 443
  • IMG_1418.JPG
    IMG_1418.JPG
    60.8 KB · Views: 445
  • IMG_1456-1.JPG
    IMG_1456-1.JPG
    54.1 KB · Views: 447
The non-Renown claw pictured above is Gretsch part G5463, a cast claw with felt to protect the hoop. Some places call it "USA Custom"; others just call it "Gretsch cast padded claw".

Some places call part G5462 a "USA Custom" claw, others "Gretsch Classic claw". Chrome-plated steel, no felt or rubber padding.

This claw showed up today, but I ordered something else entirely. I have to admit it looks a lot better than the Renown claw..

Attachments

• Oct_18_013_800x.jpg
    Oct_18_013_800x.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 208
  • Oct_18_014_800x.jpg
    Oct_18_014_800x.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 202
Last edited:
They don’t really look it, but the USA Custom claws are really low profile. I never really noticed them, till I got my Brooklyns. What difference do you notice with the shallower BD?

I just received my new Renown kit 4 days ago, and I was quite impressed by the quality of the bass drum claws. They're heavier than I expected and the chroming looks great. The only slight negative (like OP mentioned) is that the rubber liners aren't fastened, so you gotta be sure they don't get folded over when you're installing them.

I can't imagine the USA Custom claws being much better. But this is coming from someone who's been playing a Ludwig Breakbeats kit, a Mapex Saturn lV, and a Tama Rockstar Custom.

The only slight negative (like OP mentioned) is that the rubber liners aren't fastened, so you gotta be sure they don't get folded over when you're installing them.

I would just put a drop of super glue in there. Glue those little bastards in place. I mean, are you ever going to need to take them out?

Back