Black Glitter Glass

KarlCrafton

Platinum Member
I think someone was asking about this finish a little while ago--maybe for a Sonor kit.
I just happened to send out one of my kits to be re-done in Black Glitter Glass.

This finish is BLACK, with no tint of gold or blue like other Black Sparkles.

Here's a couple of "in progress" pics of the 8x12.
The wrap is cut away from the edge(3/8) for proper head fit because the Glitter Glass finishes are so thick. It may not need to be cut away on undersized, or really thin shells though.

45654_1512307559942_1001991291_31486131_4589199_n.jpg

45825_1512307999953_1001991291_31486133_2216403_n.jpg

I'll post pics of the full kit when I get it back.
Classic Maple Ludwig with Long Lugs. It used to be Silver Sparkle.

I like this finish MUCH better than the SS, and the kit is going to be what I have been wanting in a real Black Sparkle finish for a long time.

This is gonna be sweet Karl!!

I really liked your SS kit mate......although I'll have to admit that the black glitter looks the bomb. I'm secretly glad that the red sparkle has made it through unscathed too......one of my all time favourite kits, that one!!

Can't wait to see it all finished and 'black glittering' away. :)

Keep us posted.

It looks like the stars on a clear night, Just black and bright lights. Beautiful!

Black Glass Glitter S-Classix.

Yeah, that looks really great JRH7! Awesome kit. I know they must sound great too.

Classy, but with some kick to it.

This is a finish you could use in any situation, and it's not just "plain" black--which I still do like, this is just cooler.

I think Black is just one of those finishes for me because ANY Black kit I see, I like it haha!
The BGG is may be even cooler to me than my Red Sparkle CM's, and I LOVE those drums.

I have a black wrapped luddy rocker and they look O.K.,but I like the Black piano Laquer and black sparkle finishes,especially with chrome casings and hardware,the more chrome the better,and I think the combo looks even better with the long double ended lugs,like on the yamaha,premier and Mach 1 black kits.

Here's some of the Sable Black drums with the long lugs (Mach lugs). I think it looks cool too.

I always liked the Yamaha RC's, and Premier drums, but what is up with certain drums having long lugs but floor toms having split lugs? Maybe because the floor toms were 16" depth and bass drums were only 14 on some of those kits?

P1010382.jpg

I think the Mach 1 lugs were originally developed for the marching drums and the sizes those came with,don't know if that has anything to do with it.

I think the Mach 1 lugs were originally developed for the marching drums and the sizes those came with,don't know if that has anything to do with it.

Oh, I was talking about Premier drums. They've had different style lugs within the same kit. It doesn't look "bad" it's just different.

Yeah, Ludwig has 3 lengths for the Long Lugs (or Mach lug).
One for 8"-9" deep shells, 10"-13" and then 14" on up. The lugs are very heavy duty and aren't ever going to fail--probably not even if you take one off & bash it against the wall, but never on a drum.

Premier and Ludwig might have been the only ones to offer LL's (and Ludwig only did it for a short time) until Yamaha came out with the RC's and they became the "IT" drum kit for so many years. After that, everyone seemed to offer them on one line or another. Gretsch never did though....

HAHAHA! I stumbled upon the thread that I said I loved the BGG after JRH7 posted pics of his Sonor BGG kit, and I said "that's it, BGG will be the next finish I get" and it is!!

It was only in May too haha!

...Just goes to show you never know what's going to happen once "you put it out there"!

Gun Grey is a neat one too. The gold-ish Ginger is kinda nice too. Not quite Gold and not Champagne.
Those sheets of "Group D" are expensive!!! But, it's worth it.

I think the kit is almost done, maybe next week! Lot of work to get that stupid Sparkle Brite off the shells--live and learn.

Yesterday I picked up my 13x15 long lug Sable Black floor tom (it's perfect and sounds awesome)--which completes the Black kit (in pic post #10) back to what it had before I did Silver Sparkle on the original Black drums.

I had to get an 8x12 and the 13x15, and now all my kits have the same sizes (still more selection in Black), and I can just swap out a color or use whatever I want and not mess with any settings.

It might be weird to have 3 kit's in all the same sizes, but after so many years, I know what set up I like, and the sizes I always come back to.

I have 3 bands, and only 2 of the kits are at home for gigging. The Black kit is at our rehearsal place.

I'm glad I'm lucky enough to not have to schlep stuff back and forth.

mmm very nice, but then sparkle kits always are :D

i think the black glitter is an improvement silver sparkle isnt my favorite but again im glad you kept the red one :D my favorite :)

Back