The Heel Toe Thread

Re: how to do Heel toe for biger feet

Jivi said:
Great but vid as always but can you still do the same thing without an Axis pedal?

Yes. I use Eliminators and Cobras and I get the same outcome. The point to be made here is that ANYONE can do this technique regardless of foot size or brand of pedal. Study this video and his others as I believe they are the best out there for demonstrating this technique, and understand the motions. Tim is the man, he knows what he's talking about.

djp132 said:
Yes. I use Eliminators and Cobras and I get the same outcome. The point to be made here is that ANYONE can do this technique regardless of foot size or brand of pedal. Study this video and his others as I believe they are the best out there for demonstrating this technique, and understand the motions. Tim is the man, he knows what he's talking about.

Thanks for the props Derek.
I think beween yours and my clips drummers should have a better understanding about heel and toe.I always refer drummers to your clips as well..
Do you think my boots were BIG enough? LOL

I also started on other pedals I first tried heel toe probably by accident on a Ghost pedal or speed king I believe and then a drummer reintroduced the method to me in the early 80s and I was using the OLD grey pearl chain drive at the time.
Tim

I sometimes can't believe the LACK of ego displayed here by everyone...

I am so proud to be a drummer right now.

I think Tim needs his own sticky thread. :p I'll be sure to check out your dvd when it comes out.

Vic_Rattledeth said:
I think Tim needs his own sticky thread. :p I'll be sure to check out your dvd when it comes out.
Nah... let him join the line up with the rest of us =)~

We're ALL on the path, right?

Not that Tim isn't amazing though!

This is all fine and all but i think most people want to see how you do it with a big shoe on a NON-AXIS pedal.

thx

Martal said:
This is all fine and all but i think most people want to see how you do it with a big shoe on a NON-AXIS pedal.

thx

What's the difference? He just explained how to do it. If you don't have a great pedal like that, then practice and build your chops instead of letting the pedal do all the work.

TheSteve said:
What's the difference? He just explained how to do it. If you don't have a great pedal like that, then practice and build your chops instead of letting the pedal do all the work.

Then whats the point of posting the video in the first place?

Come on guys, Tim's doing you all a favour. Seriously. He's already said it's possible on all pedals and I for one believe him. If you don't like the fact that he uses Axis then don't rag on him about it. He's done a hell of a lot for our community...

Martal said:

To teach people who want to learn. Don't mind the pedal, watch his feet, that's the whole point.

Martal said:
Why do you think this is a special technique for an Axis pedal?

Technique is just technique, as long as the pedal is decent quality and woks as a bass drum pedal should it's fine for heel-toe

Raymond Bloom said:

Technique is just technique, as long as the pedal is decent quality and woks as a bass drum epdal should it's fine for heel-toe

Thank you! Someone with a brain!

I started doing the heel-toe naturally, but I have size 13 feet, so I started hitting the end or the chain (sometimes). I thought I was doing it wrong! It feels kinda weird and I can't sustain it like crazy Jojo Mayer can but the best i can do is squeeze out a 4-stroke ruff (I do the 1+ a 2 as a triplet). I can also play that crazy triplet pattern on the kick that he does in one of the videos. I had to take the toe guard off the top of my Pearl P-1002 pedal because I wasn't able to properly execute the technique. So many problems.....I then started using the slave pedal to get what I needed.

Raymond Bloom said:

Technique is just technique, as long as the pedal is decent quality and woks as a bass drum pedal should it's fine for heel-toe

I was just saying that people want to see it done on NON-Axis pedals,as evidenced by previous posts in Tim's threads

Raymond Bloom said:
Feet size doesn't matter, you can do heel-toe on particulary any bass drum pedal with any size of your feet if executed the right way!
That's absolutely true. I have size 16 feet and i can do it just fine so size is not a factor if done correctly.

JIM_fear said:
That's absolutely true. I have size 16 feet and i can do it just fine so size is not a factor if done correctly.

MY GOD!

Anyway: I recently tried the heel toe technique based upon Tim Waterson's short demo. Despite my first thoughts about this technique, I found the motion very easy, and it is quite easy to practice. However, I have to practice cleaning up the notes, as they become slurred and often turn into flam patterns.

I mainly use this technique for triplets with my right foot (mainly Zeppelin tunes).

- Marc

Back