G2 vs Genera Dry for snare batter

akhenig

Which one do you think will sound better? I have a Mapex Meridian Maple 14x6" snare drum. I like a snare that has a nice deep sound with minimal ring. Something similar to the snare sound on Comfortably Numb. I listened to both options on Evan's site, and I think I like the Genera Dry a little more, but I'm not sure how much you can hear from those recordings though.

My gut feeling would be to go with the Genera Dry but that's just me. Cheers!

+1 I really like the Genera Dry for what it is. I tend to like a little more ring out of my snare, but I have ran the Dry on several snares and it really does a great job of drying out the extra ring without choking the sound altogether.

Nick Mason probably used a normal 1 or 2 ply coated head in the studio for Comfortably Numb with tape or a ring to control ring - and then EQ, noise gates and compression to get the sound on the record.

The Genera Dry tames my Yamaha steel snare; it has a wide tuneable range from a soft pop to a good crack.

The holes around the periphery of the head tend to find the tips of my brushes occasionally.

i like the genera dry, it's definitely in my list of go-to snare batters as far as a warmer tone goes. the venting in combination with the ring give it lots of warmth. the fact that it's a single ply however means you can definitely get some crack out of it when you tune high and/or go for your rimshots. i haven't used a g2 on a snare before, but i have used the genera hd dry. that hd dry is nasty dark.

I have a Genera Dry on PDP snare, it's a 14'' x 5''. With other heads (these being the EVANS power centre and the REMO emperor X) I did get ringing in the head. I bought a Genera Dry and the ringing cleared and gave it a nice crisp and clean snare sound. I haven't had a different snare head choice since the Genera Dry. So I would definitely go with the Genera Dry head.

i like the genera dry, it's definitely in my list of go-to snare batters as far as a warmer tone goes. the venting in combination with the ring give it lots of warmth. the fact that it's a single ply however means you can definitely get some crack out of it when you tune high and/or go for your rimshots. i haven't used a g2 on a snare before, but i have used the genera hd dry. that hd dry is nasty dark.

IMO, the HD Dry works best on drums that have LOTS of ringing. I have it on a Tama 6.5 x 13 Artwood Maple. Gives that drum size some nice control, and still sings a little. More of a "POP" though on that drum.

I have also used it on a PDP COB ACE 14 x 6.5. With an AMB head, there was too much ringing. Excellent tone, minimal ring.

I did try it on my DW Collectors maple 14 x 5.5 but like super rad says, it is "nasty dark". I ended up going back to the ambassador to get back to a brighter tone. Use Moongel - if you go this route? I also tried the G2 on this snare, but not enough control IMO. Still rang too much, and slightly dark.

I got a Yamaha Stage Custom Birch and it was way to ringy for my taste. Tried a G2 on it and it helped.
But then tried a Dry on it, and it's just right for me now - real usable.

I use a G2 on my steel snare though, and it works just fine for that.

Back