Tim Waterson Here!

Hi Tim,
congrats on your world record!!!

I'm pretty late with that, sorry. I stumbled across your YouTube tutorials several times and I can only admire when real pro drummers take the time to explain things in a clear way so others can benefit from you. Well, I'm envious of your feet, haha. I also appreciate that despite all that technical stuff, you stress the importance of making music - skills can be a great benefit (in fact, many things simply demand having good technique), but it's the balanced musical result which counts in the end.

(I'm playing for 1 year now and find doublebass fascinating, practicing for several hours per day, almost daily. My max speed: heel-up 240 bpm, heel-toe 260 bpm. My hands are way slower, haha.)
Thanks for the kind words and glad you like the vids.
My feet are comfortable so im working on some hand stuff now.
Ive ALWAYS been about MUSIC Ive been playing in bands since I was 16.
Ive played everything from Country to Death Metal.
I organized my Youtube page to show bands here
http://www.youtube.com/my_playlists?p=2FF029F8B179E322
tim

Hi Tim, I have really enjoyed your videos and think it's great that you take the time to make and upload them. I am a couple of months into learning double bass (been drumming 10+ years) and wondering if I should be working on control, endurance and speed, and not worry about my volume for now? Will that come later or should I be trying to maintain volume before advancing with speed and complexity?

At the moment I am practicing rudiments including flam patterns to work on control and precision, but for speed practice I'm currently not going faster than the speed at which I can keep a high volume (about 130). I'm wondering if I should just chill out and go as fast as I can without worrying about the volume. thanks

Hi Tim, I have really enjoyed your videos and think it's great that you take the time to make and upload them. I am a couple of months into learning double bass (been drumming 10+ years) and wondering if I should be working on control, endurance and speed, and not worry about my volume for now? Will that come later or should I be trying to maintain volume before advancing with speed and complexity?

At the moment I am practicing rudiments including flam patterns to work on control and precision, but for speed practice I'm currently not going faster than the speed at which I can keep a high volume (about 130). I'm wondering if I should just chill out and go as fast as I can without worrying about the volume. thanks
Glad you like the vids,
Im posting New ones in better quality soon and a lot of the old ones will be gone.
TOO MANY drummers want to worry about speed and they dont need it
does your Music requier you to play faster if YEs than you need to work on speed.
everything takes time and patience and PRACTICE.
CONTROl is most important without control you will never achieve true speed.
after a certain speed volume drops its physics.when i play i just play if my bass drums are not loud enough Ill trigger them like everyone else does.
Tim

Tim,
your tutorial DVD has just arrived ;-) I'll be back with a review (and I'm nervous to check it out... might be really shocking...)

The cover reads "Volume 1" - is there/will there be a "Volume 2"? Holy cow ;-)

EDIT
I've just watched the 1st DVD (with the technical stuff/exercises)... I feel discouraged now, I need some time to get over what I've seen/watched. Hopefully to come back being motivated to practice more than before. What else did I expect from Tim's world class feet, haha.

Tim, thank you for this DVD set.

-----------

PS, referring to a post by Mike Machine...
As proud a WFD torchbearer as he claims himself, but on another drumming forum I learned that some folks weren't too pleased with Mike constantly making them remember he is/was world record holder etc to prevent people from forgetting it. I hope he doesn't have an ego problem.

Last edited:
Tim,
I like what you're doing on that small kit - basically everything is there, I wasn't missing anything. Maybe some broken bass drum patterns here and there? ;-) I liked your relaxed playing on the clean guitar part of one of that vids very much.

Soundwise I couldn't make out what the guitarist was playing in detail, but there might be some practice session videos with better audio quality. I've heard that some new digital mini recorders have quite stunning audio quality.

Tim,
your tutorial DVD has just arrived ;-) I'll be back with a review (and I'm nervous to check it out... might be really shocking...)

The cover reads "Volume 1" - is there/will there be a "Volume 2"? Holy cow ;-)

EDIT
I've just watched the 1st DVD (with the technical stuff/exercises)... I feel discouraged now, I need some time to get over what I've seen/watched. Hopefully to come back being motivated to practice more than before. What else did I expect from Tim's world class feet, haha.

Tim, thank you for this DVD set.

Hey Arky Glad you like the Dvd how are the feet comming?
Yes there will be a Vol# 2 but only when I get an organized drum facilty.
im doing pre prod on my ekit and ill have demos on practice pads,ekit and real drums on the NEW dvd its a work in progress but im not in a hutrry it has to be done right,
The dvd you have TMA i did way too much work myself.WHHHHHEEEEWWWWW
Tim

Herea a qick demo we did with death Assembly
Stereo out of the TD 10 and live no drums no click guitars and vocals were added separately Let me know what you guys think

http://www.reverbnation.com/play_now/13861047
Click on 6th sense NEW

the other songs were with their old drummer Just imagine more double bass a dynamics do think Im wasting my time or do guys Like Death Assembly
Tim

I think it sounds really good. I like that beat you do about one minute in. It's a great sounding band. Not too crazy fast, and the riffs are well played as well as the chops. The singer is actually not bad, he's sick.

Back